BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #23
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

As far as the tune goes, u must have it done to know what Im talking about. Its not just about how much faster or powerful ur car feels, its the overall feel of the car, including throttle, smoothness, the 1-2 shift feels like its 100% better, and then of course the power increase along with the torque. The car feels much better overall. And from what I know, red line is increased to 8600 rpm. Gonna have to test that later on.

Ill keep u guys updated on the car and how it feels after putting some miles on it.

BTW, Im attending the event on sunday.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #24
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfoss View Post
I just made an appointment with Lomotion for tomorrow afternoon. I have a similar setup (exhaust, x-pipe, filter) and will post feedback tomorrow after it's done. The guys over there seem very helpful. FYI Powerchip will be in house the weekend of Sep 4th to flash cars if people are interested.
Yup, was gonna metion this as well. They will b here SEPTEMBER 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. They are also informed on the fact that u guys r interested in a group buy and they seem all for it. So if u guys r serious it can deff b done.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #25
edcvin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 | 2011 M3 | 2020 X3M

Nice write up on this..I really want to hear your exhaust/xpipe on sunday as I'm pretty much set on going with that setup.

-Vin
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #26
SCCAForums.com
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race Cars

WOW! Alright... just got back from 'THROTTLIN' my M3 with Mike Benvo & Powerchips' Stage II tune... WHOOO HOOO!!!

All tuned for the Riss Racing Cat Delete X-Pipe, and Riss Racing Mufflers!

I don't want to get going to crazy on how 'GREAT' the butt dyno feels... so I'll put it on the 'REAL DYNO'... soon...

but what I 'do' to gauge some performance improvements is 2nd gear runs from 4K to 8K and 3rd gear runs from 5K to 8K with a stop watch... and it looks like I've knocked off CONSERVATIVELY .2 tenths from the 2nd Gear runs... and .3 tenths from the 3rd Gear runs!

Hoping to see the Dyno support some great RWHP Numbers.

Thanks again to Mike and the guys from Powerchip... what they did to get my DME turned around to me on the same day... is not for the faint of heart!

Dave
2008 Lexus IS-F (Sold) 12.5 @ 113 / 2008 Shelby GT500 (Sold) 11.3 @ 126
2008 e90 M3 6MT 12.8 @ 111 (Sold) / 2006 e60 M5 12.4 @ 114 (Sold)

Last edited by SCCAForums.com; 08-19-2009 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #27
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

.5 in the quarter mile? If your car is a stock m3 it would do 12.6 to 12.9. So with the chip your at 12.1 to 12.4? I don't think so. Do some runs before and after dynos or at a drag strip with some times. You should be able to show some kind of difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #28
SCCAForums.com
Captain
United_States
Rep

mvaugusta... are you talking to me about .5 in the quarter mile? I'm sorry if my post made you think those are quarter mile time improvements...

Those times are just 'single' gear pulls... your car would never below 5K, let alone 4K in a quarter mile run... I just use that to any 'gains' across the entire power band.

I definitely don't think the car is going to pick up .5 in the quarter.. that's the equivalent of 50HP!

Again... I was just sharing what the car improved... on average... on these 2nd & 3rd gear pulls on the street. I have many of these times, for each mod I've done... it's been very consistent.

The Dyno & The Dragstrip are the only 'real' confirmations... I just use this to 'help qualify' the 'butt dyno'...

Again... .2 quicker from 4K to 8K... or .3 quicker from 5K to 8K... are just individual gear pulls... and only for reference, not meant to insinuate car is a half second quicker in the quarter.

Peace,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #29
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

Ohh I see. Do you think the chip . Gave you some gains on top of the mods you already have? Did you dyno your mods one at a time? What kind of gain we can see on the powerchip?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #30
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvagusta View Post
Ohh I see. Do you think the chip . Gave you some gains on top of the mods you already have? Did you dyno your mods one at a time? What kind of gain we can see on the powerchip?
Regardless of mods, the tunes I sell will give you more HP, more torque, and better throttle response. Not to mention throttle bodies that snap open faster, a higher rev limit, and the top speed limiter removed.

Of course with exhaust modifications the car will make more power with a tune, because we can optimize the tune for the additional flow. However, a bone stock car will still benefit greatly from the tune.

Yesterday I raced an M6 and I think the owner was a little pissed off that he didn't pull on me I think if I had an exhaust system I would have eaten him.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #31
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Regardless of mods, the tunes I sell will give you more HP, more torque, and better throttle response. Not to mention throttle bodies that snap open faster, a higher rev limit, and the top speed limiter removed.

Of course with exhaust modifications the car will make more power with a tune, because we can optimize the tune for the additional flow. However, a bone stock car will still benefit greatly from the tune.

Yesterday I raced an M6 and I think the owner was a little pissed off that he didn't pull on me I think if I had an exhaust system I would have eaten him.
What do you reckon your tune with the Akrapovac exhaust system will gain in RWHP and maybe an EVO pulley as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #32
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
What do you reckon your tune with the Akrapovac exhaust system will gain in RWHP and maybe an EVO pulley as well?
I don't want to quote you an exact number - every car is different. Even stock cars vary in numbers slightly.

Let's just say that I've seen gains from 15RWHP all the way to 50RWHP depending on mods. I also have the crankshaft pulley on my car - but mine is from RDSport. The pulley is not a consideration in terms of power gained relating to the tune.

On a larger scale, it depends how well the Akrapovic system flows, and how restrictive the cats are. But with any aftermarket exhaust and my tune, you will see very nice increases all around the board.

Please feel free to call 323-375-4BMW if you have any questions, or email mbenvo@gmail.com

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #33
///M3SOME
MFEST'ER 4 LIFE
United_States
Rep
Drives: ONLY M CARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
let's do a group thing for powerchip, i'm definitely down for it as well and gthirty.. we have pretty much the same set up, remus on fabspeed xpipe catless, except I have the 3.62 diff..

Let's do a meet sometime soon, i'm always up in NYC every other weekend!
Sept 2nd- 4th Powerchip will be at Lomotion in Poughkeepsie N.y. doing tuning. Also Lomotion will be hosting a meet on friday sept. 4th at 5:00pm. come check it out if anyone wants to make an appointment for those days or if you have any questions about a tune, you can either contact Lomotion 845-471-5705 or contact me by email jj@powerchipgroup.com
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #34
SCCAForums.com
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi MVagusta, Yes... I definitely think the chip gave me some gains on top of the other mods, and yup... I've dynoed each mod one by one.

Car is currently making 360RWHP (that was with stock tune)...

So now... I'll head back to Dyno and see what Powerchip's latest has been able to do.

I'm a big believer in Dynoing everything... I 'had' a previous company's tune that 'felt great'... but on the dyno... my car actually made LESS RWHP!!! So... sometimes those 'butts' can be deceiving!

Peace,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #35
mpowered95
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Just got off the phone with Lomotion, i'll be getting my tune tomorrow! can't wait!! after being in several PowerChip tuned cars, i know to expect the best, and i'm sure that's what i'll get.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #36
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums.com View Post
WOW! Alright... just got back from 'THROTTLIN' my M3 with Mike Benvo & Powerchips' Stage II tune... WHOOO HOOO!!!

All tuned for the Riss Racing Cat Delete X-Pipe, and Riss Racing Mufflers!

I don't want to get going to crazy on how 'GREAT' the butt dyno feels... so I'll put it on the 'REAL DYNO'... soon...

but what I 'do' to gauge some performance improvements is 2nd gear runs from 4K to 8K and 3rd gear runs from 5K to 8K with a stop watch... and it looks like I've knocked off CONSERVATIVELY .2 tenths from the 2nd Gear runs... and .3 tenths from the 3rd Gear runs!

Hoping to see the Dyno support some great RWHP Numbers.

Thanks again to Mike and the guys from Powerchip... what they did to get my DME turned around to me on the same day... is not for the faint of heart!

Dave
Yup, u r deff correct on this. One thing that im starting to love more and more is the fact that the dreaded 1-2 shift is incredibly smoother and better now. U can actually rip it and shift into sec much better and quicker. Im sure my ssk has something to do with this but the smoothness in doing this is so incredible being that before the tune, u would always kinda get that jerk feeling.

Quote:
Anyone interested in a custom tune can contact me here or at 323-375-4BMW.

I am also at benvo@powerchipgroup.com

I know I love mine . Dave, thanks for sharing. Keep abusing her and she will treat you well.

Just thought I'd add this: My friend Aaron has a crank shaft pulley and powerchip tune as I do. He was recently reflashed by the dealer and we went for a friendly run. Let's just say... no comparison. He was also mad because he said my car sounded better. I guess that's due to our programming which opens your throttle bodies sooner and wider!

Mike
Its funny u mention sound. Had my friend in my car yesterday and he mentioned how the exhaust deff sounds louder and better then with the stock tune. I also love how sometimes I get small "backfire" type sounds, not very loud, but sounds sick.

Quote:
The more mods u have the more power u will gain for sure. This is not with every tune tho, since the tuner needs to know what they r doing. I know of a flash someone did in which they actually lost power and the person who did it had the xact mods as me only he also had high flo cats, which would make even more power since those front cats r what hold back most of the power. And coincidentally he also switched over to powerchip and he couldnt believe on the diff it made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3SOME View Post
Sept 2nd- 4th Powerchip will be at Lomotion in Poughkeepsie N.y. doing tuning. Also Lomotion will be hosting a meet on friday sept. 4th at 5:00pm. come check it out if anyone wants to make an appointment for those days or if you have any questions about a tune, you can either contact Lomotion 845-471-5705 or contact me by email jj@powerchipgroup.com
I c ur username is the same as ur plate
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #37
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I've got my car scheduled early next week for a Powerchip stage 2 flash. Big thanks to Dave (SCCAforums) for getting me the contact info, and to Mike Benvo for hooking it up .
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #38
rfoss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

I just got back from Lomotion for the powerchip tune. The gains are broad and noticeable across the entire powerband. I'm now losing traction in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd. While I wouldn't say that the difference is like night and day, it has made a huge improvement, particularly in highway driving. When cruising in 6th @ 80 (w/power button set to normal) and I step on it the car pulls MUCH harder than before. With the M button on the car is scary fast now, not just the butt dyno telling me that during rolling starts, but highway responsiveness and sheer passing power is vastly improved. As for the sound, the engine/intake is now definitely louder inside the cabin when accelerating (is this throttle bodies opening wider, faster?). What a great mod. Guys at Lomotion are awesome. John and JT are great.

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Good for u buddy. I told them that yhere was plenty of interest on the forums for this tune and that i would spread the word. Good luck tom, let them know Stefano told u about it. They r great ppl to deal with.
      08-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #39
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
The powerchip sounds pretty awesome. Mike, you mind shooting me a PM of the pricing for a tune again? Also PM me on where I would come and get this done.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #40
///M3SOME
MFEST'ER 4 LIFE
United_States
Rep
Drives: ONLY M CARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
I c ur username is the same as ur plate
haha yup i have this name pretty much on every forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfoss View Post
I just got back from Lomotion for the powerchip tune. The gains are broad and noticeable across the entire powerband. I'm now losing traction in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd. While I wouldn't say that the difference is like night and day, it has made a huge improvement, particularly in highway driving. When cruising in 6th @ 80 (w/power button set to normal) and I step on it the car pulls MUCH harder than before. With the M button on the car is scary fast now, not just the butt dyno telling me that during rolling starts, but highway responsiveness and sheer passing power is vastly improved. As for the sound, the engine/intake is now definitely louder inside the cabin when accelerating (is this throttle bodies opening wider, faster?). What a great mod. Guys at Lomotion are awesome. John and JT are great.

Ryan
thank you for coming in ryan, sounds like you had a fun ride back home saw pics of your car my brother had taken very nice

Quote:
And referencing Dave's comment above about getting his DME to him in one day, let's just say getting from Newport Beach to Costa Mesa within 10 minutes before FedEx's cut off in a fast powerchip stage II tuned E46 M3 with headers and full exhaust was quite a thrill:

But we all know you like personalized service
yes that was a fun ride haha, all in a days work i love it you posted the picture lol
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #41
mikewads
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT

Mike do you work with Travis Cattach? I have left him several messages and emails over the past couple of months and he has not replied. I sent my ECU to Matt who actually handled the transaction, but Travis is the one that I communicated with before the sale.

Anyway, my speed limiter was not removed and Powerchip's customer service after the sale has so far been nonexistence.

Quote:

2009 BMW M3 ESS Supercharged / Nitrous - 10.87 @ 131 MPH / 60 - 130 MPH in 6.23 secs
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #42
05SCM33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

^ that's not good . . . .
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #43
mikewads
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT

Thanks for the reply Mike. Travis called me today after hearing about my post and apologized for not getting back to me. In his defense he has had a really bad couple of months! First his building caught on fire by kids shooting off fireworks which made him have to move his entire operation and then on top of that he had some problems with one of his employees. I left most of messages with Matt who no longer works there, so maybe some of my messages never made it to Travis.

I'm just glad he finally called and is working to get my problems resolved!

Travis told me they have a new, more powerful update for the M3 and he will be sending me the data cable that will allow me to update my ECU in a couple of weeks. Hopefully this new program will remove the speed limiter and make more power!

I will update this thread once I receive the cable and perform the update.

Quote:
Yes, I work with Travis. That's weird that he has not replied. He is usually very good about that. Matt is no longer with powerchip. Please email me your contact details and we will take a look into the situation. We strive to give customers the best service possible, so rest assured we will take care of you.

Thanks

2009 BMW M3 ESS Supercharged / Nitrous - 10.87 @ 131 MPH / 60 - 130 MPH in 6.23 secs
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #44
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

I can understand more power, and i can also understand that ur paying for the limiter to b removed. But how many times r u really gonna test it out?
Appreciate 0