BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-09-2008, 01:53 AM   #45
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimola View Post
well said...i really dont want to get into a big arguement over nothing. like i said, in the end its your choice. i also dont want to get into how much my ex-boss used to cough up for "false claims" by idiots who want to beat the system. corruption works both ways my friend, only difference is the side you're standing on

cheers
Does it help if you show them your piece before handing the keys over?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 04:21 AM   #46
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
I'm intrigued. How much of a walk do these guys save you?

Couldn't agree more.

This behaviour goes hand in hand with the spontaneous applause that I'm given to believe Americans sometimes explode into upon touching down in an aircraft - for a professional pilot, getting the plane back on the ground in one piece is frankly the bare minimum I'm happy to tolerate! No clapping required. (OK I might give the guy some loose change, if the currency is no longer valid at the destination).
OT - Are you saying Americans appaluse good landings? If so, you don't fly much or it was a true rarity. I've logged 200,000 plus miles internationally and domestically in the last few years. The only time Americans will applause at a landing is if the weather was extremely bad and turbulent or some other difficulty arose that made the landing extraordinary. Then yes, you are correct. Third worlders on the other hand, applause often for routine landings, I've seen it countless times and its pretty retarded. And they almost always disobey standard cabin rules regarding standing before the plane comes to a stop and use of cell phones.

One other thing about valet parking. I don't really save too much in walking, but in the States, many of the spots where you can have eyes on your baby, are reserved "only for valet". If you self park in the rear lot, you may get an unpleasant surprise when you return to your car. Door dings, key scratches by envious losers etc. Valet for me guarantees that I will be able to check on my car, see it if I feel the need, and that the valet staff will keep an eye on it. I have never incurred damage from a valet service, but the fact is, I have never and will never give my car to a valet service who drives it out of my sight. In that case I would self park 100%.
      01-09-2008, 04:43 AM   #47
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
OT - Are you saying Americans appaluse good landings? If so, you don't fly much or it was a true rarity. I've logged 200,000 plus miles internationally and domestically in the last few years. The only time Americans will applause at a landing is if the weather was extremely bad and turbulent or some other difficulty arose that made the landing extraordinary.
If you insist on taking my post entirely seriously then at least do us all a favour, read it and appreciate the difference between "sometimes", "the only time" and "almost always".

Quote:
Third worlders on the other hand, applause often for routine landings, I've seen it countless times and its pretty retarded. And they almost always disobey standard cabin rules regarding standing before the plane comes to a stop and use of cell phones.
And if you're going to call me out for being OT, it's probably advisable not to follow it up with this sort of mindless drivel.

Congrats on the airmiles, btw. Has the airline sent you your free overnight bag yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 05:35 AM   #48
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Executive Platinum with American airlines gets you free 1st class upgrades if a seat is open when you get your boarding pass (up to 48 hours before the flight).

It also puts you at the top of any stand-by list and even gives you seats on flights that are supposedly "over-booked". So its quite the lush environment to benefit from.
      01-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #49
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I've never been on a plane where people clap. What section of the universe are you people in?
      01-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #50
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you insist on taking my post entirely seriously then at least do us all a favour, read it and appreciate the difference between "sometimes", "the only time" and "almost always".

And if you're going to call me out for being OT, it's probably advisable not to follow it up with this sort of mindless drivel.

Congrats on the airmiles, btw. Has the airline sent you your free overnight bag yet?
Well, my experience in the context you used was "never". That is why I took exception. If you were joking no big deal.

I rack up miles during my tours then spend them after. I mostly fly Star Alliance. Unfortunately, they don't allow direct upgrades if the miles were racked up on another Star airline. For example, when I fly Lufthansa, I present my United card and receive credit for the miles...but if I want to upgrade with my miles, I have to have a voucher from United mailed to me and present it at check in for Lufthansa. Sux actually but I hear they will merge their DB at some point.

Hey Epacy, if you ever fly in a part of the world where one day they were living in caves and mud houses and the next day they had laptops and money to travel...you will see really STRANGE #@!! on aircraft. I've seen flight crews wrestle cell phones from people, near drunken brawls, and close calls with unruly and unsafe passengers many times. Mostly from the uneducated former cave dwellers and the like. Don't even get me started on their hygiene issues. I had one plop down next to me that was so bad I HAD to move, I literally couldn't breathe without being on the verge of puking.
      01-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #51
gasman
Rep
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3

Quote:
I had one plop down next to me that was so bad I HAD to move, I literally couldn't breathe without being on the verge of puking.
Exactly why I don't fly Air France in Europe anymore. I've never had a pleasant experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #52
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dodge Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetvd View Post
uhh not that it matters....but Pompton Avenue is not really considered a highway. Isn't the speed limit 35 MPH?!

And where do you park the cars across the street?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...&t=h&z=18&om=1
once lot is filled, cars are taken down the street to the Macedonian Church. if you prefer walking, you make my night much easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #53
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Damn scary!!
Not scary. A standard "go-around" procedure.

At busy airports there are several per day.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #54
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Not scary. A standard "go-around" procedure.

At busy airports there are several per day.
Sure, two large aircraft almost colliding isn't a cause for concern...
      01-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #55
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Sure, two large aircraft almost colliding isn't a cause for concern...
Typical view of somebody (I presume doesn't work in the aviation industry).

The procedure is there to avoid planes colliding. There is a minimum distance allowed and when there is a danger of the minimum distance being compromised, the "go-around" procedure is put into place. All very safe and not even classed as anything out of the ordinary.

At airports like Heathrow this happens several times a day, and if it doesn't, the controllers aren't doing their job correctly. i.e. they are not going down the minimum allowable separation.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #56
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
I don't have an M3, but I only valet when I go to more well known restaurants. Last time I went out to dinner with my gf, they were very polite. After we ordered our dinner, I snuk out to get my gf's anniversary present and saw that they took up 3 parking spaces to park my car in the front, along with a MB i believe the new C sport. I had quite the laugh, after dinner, I came out to wait for my car... they had trouble figuring out how to start it (lol) but other than that, everything went smoothly.. although this may not be the same kind of service I would get everywhere, it was nice. You just gotta use your own judgment on when to valet and when to self park. I always tip well if they are polite, if you take care of them, they will take care of you (you're car)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #57
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
I'm intrigued. How much of a walk do these guys save you?
Actually, for me it's not about the walk, it's more about the time. It depends on where you live, but in some spots, such as certain parts of SanFran, there are no nearby park-it-yourself-and-keep-the-key lots that are available on a Sat night, and even if you don't mind the walk, you can be circling around for 30 minutes and get really stressed out trying to find a spot. Not the best way to start an evening with friends or the love of your life...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #58
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemve View Post
Wow thats careless!!!

My friends used to work at the airport and they told me stories.... so i tend to stay away from valet service at all cost!!
I've never valeted my cat and never will. I was once with my friend and we picked up his car from valet and the car comes flying around the corner, tires squealing and all, with his car. Too many problems using valet. Here's a few examples:

1. They will damage your car
2. They will joyride your car while you're gone
3. They haven't washed their hands in hours and have touched god knows how many steering wheels
4. They will fart in your car
5. They might take a shit in your car
6. They might have sex in your car
7. They might steal gasoline from your car
8. They might spit on your steering wheel
9. They might let some air out of your tires
10. They might steal your air filter
11. They might steal your tires
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #59
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
I've never valeted my cat and never will.
I bet your cat appreciates that.
      01-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #60
Ray33
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White M3

Quote:
I've never valeted my cat and never will. I was once with my friend and we picked up his car from valet and the car comes flying around the corner, tires squealing and all, with his car. Too many problems using valet. Here's a few examples:

3. They haven't washed their hands in hours and have touched god knows how many steering wheels
You must frequent some really top class establishments.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #61
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:

Do they promise to do it all in that exact order? It's just I thought there could be a limit as to how many times a day they might be able to do some of those things...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #62
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I bet your cat appreciates that.
lmfao

Once valeted my cat - never again. Came back all mangey and flee-ridden.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #63
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:
It was Filthy, "waiting for the light to be just so" while taking photos of his new car...

Actually those were excellent photos, still it was a little nerve-racking especially since I was not in the driving seat!!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #64
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Executive Platinum with American airlines gets you free 1st class upgrades if a seat is open when you get your boarding pass (up to 48 hours before the flight). :

Sorry but I rekon American and United suck big time, nothing like Emirates or Singapore or even BA!!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #65
ultmachine
Private
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Might be a dumb question but are most valets familiar with the comfort access system?...I don't know, but the whole button pushing/where does the key go thing might be beyond some of them...anyone have experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:58 AM   #66
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep

When you valet don't even try to expalin CA, I just take the key fob from my pocket and put it in the key port...CA can be a problem though because half the time I just walk away because the car is running and doesn't quit running as you walk away of course....so if the valet isn't sharp, he won't notice the lack of key and you won't either until they drive away. So, just remember to put it in the key port/receptacle.