BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

07-29-2013, 01:44 AM   #23
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

i would never buy a cayman. for how much they cost, its not worth it. ok its a mid engine car...... who cares... still sounds like crap, and rather slow car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #24
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i would never buy a cayman. for how much they cost, its not worth it. ok its a mid engine car...... who cares... still sounds like crap, and rather slow car.
hm..i think in terms of speed it is as fast as my old M3..for sure could hang with it till at least 80 mph...do agree it is a bit expensive for what you are getting when discussing 'brute power'.. it definitely doesn't sound as good as the m but doesn't sound like crap either

the lowest resolution video you'll ever watch on youtube:

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #25
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
In regards to the cost... it comes down to the options, and that can bring up the price very quickly, but if you spec it with the track in mind and forgo most creature comforts the price is pretty good actually.

In regards to our comment "mid engine car - who cares" - drive one on the track, and get back to us.

I think the flat six sounds rather awesome, but that is totally subjective anyway. Some prefer a V8 rumble, some a flat six sound, and others a V10 exhaust note.

The Cayman S is very light and has 325 horses, so I think the word slow doesn't really fit.

I had 2 Caymans, a stock M3, a heavily modified supercharged M3, and now a 991S, and the Cayman is by far the best handling car of that list.
I honestly think people who buy caymans only care about handling. thats kind of proves that.... I need more from a car that just how well it handles. I need to fall in love with its looks, engine note, and performance as a whole.

I would love to have a 911, a cayman no...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #26
ranger22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
I honestly think people who buy caymans only care about handling. thats kind of proves that.... I need more from a car that just how well it handles. I need to fall in love with its looks, engine note, and performance as a whole.

I would love to have a 911, a cayman no...
People are entitled to their own opinion in regards to what's the best overall fit for them. I'm a hell of a lot faster in my "R" than I ever was in my "M." Not only does my porsche accelerate faster than the M I have, it is much lighter and can take corners much faster. The M is an awesome car in its own right, but when looking at sporting characteristics (accel, braking, turning), you just cannot compare the two. However, for those interested in hard parking or simply impressing others with the looks of a car, then a tricked out M would def do better than a cayman.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #27
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
In regards to the cost... it comes down to the options, and that can bring up the price very quickly, but if you spec it with the track in mind and forgo most creature comforts the price is pretty good actually.

In regards to our comment "mid engine car - who cares" - drive one on the track, and get back to us.

I think the flat six sounds rather awesome, but that is totally subjective anyway. Some prefer a V8 rumble, some a flat six sound, and others a V10 exhaust note.

The Cayman S is very light and has 325 horses, so I think the word slow doesn't really fit.

I had 2 Caymans, a stock M3, a heavily modified supercharged M3, and now a 991S, and the Cayman is by far the best handling car of that list.
No question re handling, which is why I really wanted to love the Cayman S I just reviewed. The deal breaker was the electric power steering, which requires you to drive quite a bit differently than what I like.

I suspect the best option if you want to go Cayman S, is to get a used previous generation with hydraulic steering as a second car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #28
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

I agree with the op, I would go for a previous generation cayman R (not s) over the new model. Can't beat that amazing steering feel with the hydraulic set up.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #29
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I agree with the op, I would go for a previous generation cayman R (not s) over the new model. Can't beat that amazing steering feel with the hydraulic set up.
I have looked for Cayman Rs. They are impossible to find.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #30
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
I have looked for Cayman Rs. They are impossible to find.
I was in the market for one a year or so ago. I found a handful, one with 4k miles for 68k but didn't have sport exhaust and sport chrono (deal breaker). Sport chrono sharpens throttle response and make the car rev similar to the m3.

I test drove a few of them and I was in love. The best manual transmission I've ever experienced. Throws so fast it will make believers out of dct/Pdk fans.

At the end of the day I went for what I really wanted at the time, a gt3.

Last edited by KKM3; 07-29-2013 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #31
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Exactly how different is it? It's weird to me that all reviews done by former professional race car drivers (Tiff for example) say that the electric steering is perfect, and it doesn't feel all that much different than the hydraulic assisted one. But when you talk to random forum folks who test drove the car for a bit without even pushing it on a twisty road or track they say the electric steering sucks.

Chris Harris mentioned that the 991S handles better than his personal (now sold) GT3 RS 4.0. Mostly due to the wider track in the front that makes turn-in less busy, but if the electric steering would suck that much I think he would have mentioned it.

Don't get me wrong I would prefer a hydraulic steering as well, but the electric one doesn't bother me, and when I push the car I can't feel the difference, and this is my 3 Porsche.

So how does it require for you to drive differently?
Most of the car mags-R&T, C&D, Autoweek, have all commented on the EPS and don't like it compared to the HPS. I found two problems. Firstly, at lower speeds, say under 70mph, there is waay too much play in the wheel. This is true for the M3 with its HPS, and in fact is true for all speed sensitive steering. The problem is that the play in the wheel at low speeds seems worse in the EPS.

Secondly, and more of an issue, is the feedback. As you know, the Porsche engineers designed a computer program to "filter out" unwanted road feedback thru the steering wheel. I, as do others, feel they made a mistake. The steering is too isolated, and really doesn't tell you what the front wheels are doing, and you don't get that super-tingly feeling that makes great sports car steering.

So when I say drive differently, it means I have to rely more on trusting the car to go where my eyes tell it to go, without getting the response through the wheel that confirms the car understands what I'm asking it to do. I know this may seem vague, but the car talks back less to me this way, and makes driving less enjoyable.
Appreciate 0