BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

02-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #23
Jet335i
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '11 E92 M3

sorry for bringing this back - but i just did the install and no matter how hard i push down on the zhp knob, it's still a bit loose and can come off very easily with a tug. Is there anything I can do to secure it more? When shifting, it's turning a bit and its annoying as hell.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

You're not installing it right. There's a plastic tab that needs to line up with the indentation on the shaft. The shift pattern should be straight in N, but willl be crooked in gear, especially 6th. After you're sure tab is inside indentation, just put a rag on top of the knob and whack it a few times. Or use a rubber mallet. When it's seated all the way down, the clips at the bottom of the knob secure it on the shaft, and it takes a pretty good yank to remove. You should NOT see the flared portion of the shaft where the clips engage when fully seated.

Now, if you tried to shove the knob a bit crooked, you might have deformed the plastic tab, and you'll have to fix it. Take a look at it with a flashlight. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Is it best to use a hobby knife to cut the stock shift boot from the stock knob? Or would a kitchen knife suffice?
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #26
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Is it best to use a hobby knife to cut the stock shift boot from the stock knob? Or would a kitchen knife suffice?
You need something pretty sharp, so ditch the kitchen knife. I used a NEW single-sided razor blade, but a hobby/utility knife with a new blade would be equally fine.

Just remember to pull the boot UP hard enough to peel it a little from the knob, so you don't end up short (the knob will be trash anyway); better ending up with a long boot than a short one. You can always shorten it by just rolling more leather under the tie-wraps. Oh, and since you're going to sacrifice the knob anyway, think about doing a lighting job on your new knob (if you got the ZHP). And also just pry the knob open at the bottom so you don't have a hard time removing it like if you needed to save it. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 12:53 AM   #27
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
You need something pretty sharp, so ditch the kitchen knife. I used a NEW single-sided razor blade, but a hobby/utility knife with a new blade would be equally fine.

Just remember to pull the boot UP hard enough to peel it a little from the knob, so you don't end up short (the knob will be trash anyway); better ending up with a long boot than a short one. You can always shorten it by just rolling more leather under the tie-wraps. Oh, and since you're going to sacrifice the knob anyway, think about doing a lighting job on your new knob (if you got the ZHP). And also just pry the knob open at the bottom so you don't have a hard time removing it like if you needed to save it. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips! I ended up ordering the lighted ZHP knob from LeatherZ. I am hoping I will have time on Friday to do the install. Just need to go buy a new soldering iron and a hobby knife.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #28
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Got this installed last night and will be testing out the feel today. It sure was a bitch to get the stock knob off. Overall I think it looks great. I ordered mine from LeatherZ and after installing it seems the shift pattern on top of the knob is not perfectly straight even when in neutral. Has anyone else experienced this with the ZHP knob?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #29
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Got this installed last night and will be testing out the feel today. It sure was a bitch to get the stock knob off. Overall I think it looks great. I ordered mine from LeatherZ and after installing it seems the shift pattern on top of the knob is not perfectly straight even when in neutral. Has anyone else experienced this with the ZHP knob?
You can pry that thing off easily with a flathead and re-glue it if you want to. Not the best thing to do with a brand new mod, but just saying, in case you don't want to deal with any extra hassle.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #30
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

/cry that must have been tough.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #31
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Agreed that removing the stock knob was a PITA. The shift pattern on my LeatherZ ZHP knob was fine. I'll try to take a couple of pics this weekend. Perhaps you should talk to LeatherZ about an exchange for one that does line up properly?
      02-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #32
Jet335i
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '11 E92 M3

Quote:
You're not installing it right. There's a plastic tab that needs to line up with the indentation on the shaft. The shift pattern should be straight in N, but willl be crooked in gear, especially 6th. After you're sure tab is inside indentation, just put a rag on top of the knob and whack it a few times. Or use a rubber mallet. When it's seated all the way down, the clips at the bottom of the knob secure it on the shaft, and it takes a pretty good yank to remove. You should NOT see the flared portion of the shaft where the clips engage when fully seated.

Now, if you tried to shove the knob a bit crooked, you might have deformed the plastic tab, and you'll have to fix it. Take a look at it with a flashlight. Good luck.
I was installing it right - almost!

The zip tie was holding the leather boot over the ridges so it couldn't lock down properly - did the knob first with the boot under it then re-zip tied it and it sits fine now
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #33
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Can some of you take pics of yours installed (straight on) so I can see if your shift pattern is perfectly straight or if it is a bit off center like mine?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #34
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Can some of you take pics of yours installed (straight on) so I can see if your shift pattern is perfectly straight or if it is a bit off center like mine?
To install it perfectly straight, I did it with the knob seated in place, but before final installation (with boot and everything). The cap can't be installed too far off since it's oval, but it can definitely be installed a bit off. Remember those guys don't have the knob in a car to do it perfect, so it's a matter of luck to get it right. And remember knob rotates slightly, so even if perfect in N, it'll be off in 6th, so it's not a huge deal to have it a bit off in N, especially if it's to the left, meaning it'd look perfect in 6th. Play around in 6th before you decide to mess with it. If it's rotated to the right even in N, I'd definitely fix it.

As it was said, just lift it off VERY carefully and seat it back on. The thing I didn't like about the LeatherZ lighted ZHP is the cap doesn't look as nice as stock (could be wrong on that though), but most importantly, lighting does not match stock one, AND no original connector, like the ones who did the transplant. Just make sure you cut the KNOB's wires, and not the car's, like my buddy TLud . Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 04-14-2010 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #35
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I just installed this knob thanks to this DIY. What a huge difference in how it makes the car feel. Thanks!
      06-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #36
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
I ordered the ZHP knob and shift boot from LeatherZ and boy what a difference it made to how the car shifts!
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #37
m3 bud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Quote:
It's just as clean man, as all leather boots fold inward at the top. Mine looks like it came from the factory, and I butchered it too . But I took the time to make a 'neck' the size of the knob's base, and make 2 notches to bury the zipties' heads installed backwards so the 'neck' is smooth all around .

The bottom line is you have to pay almost the same amount of money to go back to stock sooner or later, since LeatherZ's boot costs almost as much as the whole stock knob/boot assembly from Tischer. So better later folks, since most likely you'd never go back to stock . Plus I doubt LeatherZ's boot is as nice as stock, which matches the car perfectly. Just saying.
Thanks for the DIY!

Removed the shift knob and boot and currently deciding if I want to cut my original boot or order one from LeatherZ. I have the performance alcantara knob on with no boot and it feels so much better when shifting.

elp_jc -- I have the same concern as you on the size of the boot neck when it's zip tied, doesn't look as oem. When you say you made "2 notches" did you mean if you folded the neck of the boot twice to make it thicker around the shaft? (hope that makes sense)

Do you have a picture of your install? If that works, I'll prob cut my original boot tomorrow to save some $$. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:27 AM   #38
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Anyway,thought I'd post some pics of how it looks along with the LeatherZ boot.

Daytime pic:

Nighttime pic with light on:

Nighttime pic of what it looks like in the dark:

It's not as bright as the stock knob but the feel and weight it gives to the shift makes it well worth the extra money and effort. Excuse the mobile pics.
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 01:32 AM   #39
m3 bud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maseroche View Post
Anyway,thought I'd post some pics of how it looks along with the LeatherZ boot.

Daytime pic:

Nighttime pic with light on:

Nighttime pic of what it looks like in the dark:

It's not as bright as the stock knob but the feel and weight it gives to the shift makes it well worth the extra money and effort. Excuse the mobile pics.
Great pics, the ZHP knob is a much better fit IMHO!

Two questions:

- Did you end up re-using the boot ring from your existing shift/boot or purchase the complete boot from Leatherz?

- How did you get the size of the boot neck to fit so nicely (like OEM)? Did you use anything more than a zip tie? Or maybe tied it to the thicker park of the shaft?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #40
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
m3 bud, nope, I ordered the shift boot complete with the ring attached. All I had to do was install it. Nothing more than a zip tie to attach it to the shaft.
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #41
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Couldn't you just use a boot from a 328 or 335? They are not attached to the knob from the factory
      09-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #42
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maseroche View Post
It's not NEARLY as bright as the stock knob
Fixed it for you . Man, can't believe those guys are charging an arm and a leg for their stupid knob and it lights up like crap. You can't even see the '6', or the 'R'. Glad you guys are not as 'OCD' as me, because that job is totally unacceptable to me. I'd have returned it; much rather have the ZHP knob with no lighting (if I didn't have the patience to do my own DIY) and save money in the process, but that's just me. Have a good one folks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #43
menomo
Private
Rep
Drives: the new M3

i like.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #44
B__M__W__RULES
Banned
Rep