BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

03-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Tragically Great Cars

I'd like to make up a list of cars that where great but suffered from a fatal flaw, or two, or three. If only...

I will start... *flame suit on*

1997-99 Turbo DSM (Eclipse GSX, GS-T, Talon TSi):

AWD or FWD 4G63 Iron block loves boost... unfortunately, crankwalk is a bitch.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Nice car. Would love to own one someday as a DD/modded vehicle.
      03-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Not me. I hear the floor panels give way during drag races if you granny shift and don't double clutch like you should. It sends sparks flying everywhere and, on top of that, you lose your car to Vin Diesel. Not my cup of tea.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

3000GT VR-4

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

'94-'98 Toyota Supra TT

/thread
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
and, on top of that, you lose your car to Vin Diesel. Not my cup of tea.
LOL

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
'94-'98 Toyota Supra TT

/thread
Umm, what tragic flaw does the Toyota Supra TT have? If anything it is the opposite of this...

Example:

FD RX-7 = apex seals
996 911 = rear main seal
E39 M5 = notorious vanos
Turbo DSM = crank walk...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
whyrms
Private
Rep
Drives: foot mobile.

Quote:
Not me. I hear the floor panels give way during drag races if you granny shift and don't double clutch like you should. It sends sparks flying everywhere and, on top of that, you lose your car to Vin Diesel. Not my cup of tea.
lol
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
hahahaahhahaahahahahahahahah

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 02:34 AM   #10
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
Umm, what tragic flaw does the Toyota Supra TT have? If anything it is the opposite of this...

Example:

FD RX-7 = apex seals
No flaws I can see on the supra except the weight...

The FD can be a great car IF you have a competent tuner, but those are hard to find... I have seen world record RX7's be reliable for the HP they are putting out, but it takes somebody who actually knows what the hell they are doing, which almost all rotary specialty shops do not...(such as Rotary performance in Texas, which is possibly the dumbest group of rotary tuners I have ever seen...)

All you have to do is put Rotary aviation 2mm seals when rebuilding the engine with the oil passage mods, a good intercooler (Greddy 3 row), a good oil cooler kit (mocal), a good turbo system and a good tune to make these cars a monster, but most people are not very good in figuring this out, and cheap out on one of these parts
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 02:37 AM   #11
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
FAIL POST
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

i can think of two off the top of my head:

1) MKIV Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
No flaws I can see on the supra except the weight...
+1...if the MKIV Supra has a significant flaw, its the weight.

i'd also like to add that, although the car handles phenomenally, steering feel and feedback is a bit on the vague side, making it difficult for anyone except fairly experienced drivers tap into every last bit of performance & handling. if you're a good driver though, that's a different story...

2) e46 M3
its a great car but, like the Supra, its lightly overweight. it also had its fair share of rod-bearing recalls back in 01-02 i think it was. now we all know the M3 is the perfect balance between perofrmance/comfort/luxury/etc., but from a pure performance point of view, the M3 just makes too many sacrifices and compromises...at the end of the day, its a great sport-luxury coupe/sedan, not an amazing sports car (you'll have to hark back to the days of the e30 & e36 to find an M3 that is an amazing sports car).

3) 335i
as far as i can tell so far, this is turning out to be a great car, especially considering its a non-M model. unfortunately i can think of a few problems with these cars already:
- failing OEM high pressure fuel pumps
- inefficient OEM oil coolers
- rattling wastegates (although i haven't seen as much complaining about this as i have the above two issues)

4) anything currently made by Aston Martin
they may as well be the most gorgeous cars on the planet, but they're always a step behind Ferrari, Lamborghini, and other exotics in the performance category.

5) Acrura/Honda NSX
it has supercar handling, but unfortunately not supercar performance due to its extremely lacking powerplant. Honda should have backed up the NSX with a better powerplant when they decided to price it at 1.5-2X the cost of an M3.

6) Honda S2000
what a great concept form Honda - small platform, light-weight, low center of gravity, kart handling characteristics...and then Honda proceeds to install an under-powered torqueless wonder under the hood . don't get me wrong, i respect the F20C/F22C powerplants for their attributes - but they have no torque to get them going from a dead stop, and they better be at a high rpm when exiting a track-day turn or else they'll experience a lack of low-end torque again. and while they're great for a great many types of events, small circuits and autoX still favors them for obvious reasons, and large circuits with long straights and wide sweepers don't favor them so much b/c of the lack of power.

the great thing about all of the above flaws is that i can't think of one of them that isn't fixable with aftermarket parts and/or services.
      03-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
FAIL POST
Obviously....

Nothing tragic about the Supra.
Appreciate 0