BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #23
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3 View Post
Guys, this is a BMW Test car and not a suped up car as some of you are saying. The car came from and returned to the BMW testing paddocks.
Yeah, nobody listens to me.

Quote:
I think this is the production version of the GT4 which has already been confirmed as forthcoming by the M Division CEO
Passing on the latest rumors, there are two cars coming. One is the M3 GT4 street version, the other is an M3 GT. The latter is similar to the competition package for the E46 M3.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #24
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

that guys have some sticky tires for sure! nice drive and vids

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #25
Saebb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Unfortunately none

This car is owned by BMW according to the license plate. Every BMW car has a number between M-xx-39xx and M-xx-46xx.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #26
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Yeah, nobody listens to me.

Passing on the latest rumors, there are two cars coming. One is the M3 GT4 street version, the other is an M3 GT. The latter is similar to the competition package for the E46 M3.

Best regards,
south
Yea it will definitly be interesting to see what this car actually pans out to be, you are thinking this is the GT rather then the GT4 street?
      10-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #27
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Yea it will definitly be interesting to see what this car actually pans out to be, you are thinking this is the GT rather then the GT4 street?
Hard to say, but I tend to think so. Brakes, exhaust and roll cage are different than on the GT4. Besides, the rumor spread by the BMW insider about KERS wouldn't make that much sense for the GT4 IMO. Before I heard about the GT model, I thought it's an GT4 though.

Is it me or does this car have bigger brake discs than the production M3 but still floating calipers?

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #28
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Hard to say, but I tend to think so. Brakes, exhaust and roll cage are different than on the GT4. Besides, the rumor spread by the BMW insider about KERS wouldn't make that much sense for the GT4 IMO. Before I heard about the GT model, I thought it's an GT4 though.

Is it me or does this car have bigger brake discs than the production M3 but still floating calipers?

Best regards,
south
True true.. You know the one thing is that with KERS. BMW is very conscious about making the M Brand look very environmentally friendly so I have a feeling they are going to try to stuff it into every product coming out of BMW M for the next few years...
      10-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #29
southlight
Rep

Quote:
True true.. You know the one thing is that with KERS. BMW is very conscious about making the M Brand look very environmentally friendly so I have a feeling they are going to try to stuff it into every product coming out of BMW M for the next few years...
I really hope they'll do. The alleged early introduction of the next M5 had me worrying that they axed KERS at all. Good to know this worry was unwarranted.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #30
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Whatever it ends up being I hope it doesn't cost $100k in the USA. That's more than a PDK equipped 997S, 30k more than a Z06, 20k more than a GTR, more than a mint used 997 GT3, and only 12k less than MSRP of a brand new 997 GT3 MkII.

That is some elite company and I doubt even a GT4 M3 is going to be able to compete with any of those cars.
      10-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #31
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Hmm...

The U.S. based members of this board really need to calm down. The mods and admins are fueling this feeding frenzy, about a possible street version of the M3 GT4 track car. (without explaining to the masses how this usually pans out)

Don't bet on seeing anything reported in these blog/rumor postings. BMW engineers are always testing some new emerging technology. That doesn't mean you'll ever see it on a production car. (even a special edition model)

The rumor mill needs to be tempered with a dose of reality...

If BMW does bring a new model to the United States, it will be very similar in scope to the E46 M3 Competition package that was offered in 2005.

You will never see a true GT version of this car on U.S. roadways. The price tag for such a limited-production vehicle would drive away a large number of prospective buyers.

BMW's pricing structure for the U.S. market is problematic for a number of reasons. The base pricing for a E9xM3 (coupe/sedan) is in the upper 50 grand range. You cannot buy an M3 anywhere else in the world for that price. (not even close)

Adding to the dilemma, is the fact that these newly spec'd vehicles will be very low production in nature. That means you can't make up the difference in volume sales. The track-only version of the M3 GT4 car cost $120,000 euros.

From what I have been told, a 'conservative' estimate on this new street version GT4 will be $100,000 euros. (easy)

For those of you who are not very good at calculating international currency exchange rates, that's $148,689.41 U.S. dollars.

Even if BMW decides to sell these cars in the U.S. market (which has not been decided yet), and even if the pricing is somewhat lower than the pricing of the Euro-spec version...the base price would still place this car well above the means of the average BMW enthusiast. (income wise)

Only a small number of very wealthy individuals would even have the resources to buy such a car. (~$100,000 USD)

With that in mind, I'd be surprised if the managers upstairs (or the BMW accountants) will allow a U.S.-spec version of this car to be built in the first place.

Remember, the car will still have to pass DOT safety regulations and EPA emissions testing. These two hurdles can sometimes discourage a manufacturer, from releasing a 'special edition' version of a particular automobile. (into the United States market)

I call that the three R's. (rules, regulations, and red tape)

This is especially true for European or Japanese based automakers.

Unfortunately, BMW falls into that category.

The best thing that my U.S.-based brethren can hope for...is a 'watered down' version of the final Euro-spec M3 GT4 street car. Expecting anything more than this, will only result in extreme disappointment.

Last edited by Lemans_Blue_M; 10-17-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #32
Turbo Squid
Model
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast and Loud

Garage List
I'm gunna laugh if some guy shows up on the forum and asks why everyone is talking about his 'track' M3.

What IF it does turn out this isn't a prototype and is just some random ///M'ers car?

Also, if there is KERS in the car can I park in the "Hybrid Only" parking spots at the mall?
      10-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #33
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 eventually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Squid View Post
I'm gunna laugh if some guy shows up on the forum and asks why everyone is talking about his 'track' M3.

What IF it does turn out this isn't a prototype and is just some random ///M'ers car?
Read the posts by the admins/mods above. This car was on the track during testing sessions, which is only open to car manfuacturers so I doubt it was just someone's personal track M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #34
Turbo Squid
Model
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast and Loud

Garage List
Yea I saw that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
      10-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #35
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

If BMW wanted to sell a "GT" version here in the US, they could do what they did with the E36 M3 LTW, to avoid costly re-legalization fees - just put all the offending parts (wing, CF intake whatnot) in the trunk of the car and call them "off road use" only.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #36
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

True, or not true........I love this excitement.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #37
bayerischeperformance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

the M head never really said there would for sure be a street version of the GT4 he hinted at it but never really said it
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #38
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

By what the Admins and moderators have said, this is a BMW test car without a doubt. Biggest clue is the license plate that marks the typical BMW own cars.

Having said that, I am very excited about this car whether it is a CSL, GT4 or GT since with all the turbo and cookie-cutter turbocharged M cars in the works, this car could be the sad swan song of BMW high-revving, high-output engines delivering the best performance one could imagine from an M3 and ready to compete with the best of the best. BMW will be going out of the high-revving engine business with a bang.

To repeat what I said earlier, my ideal CSL for M3 would be:

4.0 Liter V8 S65 engine
8800 rpm rev limit
450 HP@8300 rpm
320 ft-lbs@6500 rpm
3150 - 3200 lbs weight
6 speed manual
0-60 3.9 seconds
1/4 mile 11.8@118 mph
1.00 g lateral acceleration
7:3x Nurburgring lap time

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #39
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
unfortunately if BMW does decided to produce a street version it will probably never see the light of day on U.S. roads. Damn you DOT and your safety regulations!!!!
      10-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #40
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
that's how stupid rumors start!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #41
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

The lip looks OEM to me.

Also, the exhaust tips appear to be the same, but it looks like two separate canisters that have a small gap in the middle to me. Watch the end of the youtube movie when the car is driving away.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #42
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I know someone who has been trying to import a GT4 car as a non-registered track car into the US through a very reputable US performance shop, and my understanding is that they have encountered significant resistance despite his willingness to pay. So, if BMW ever does release a street version of the GT4, I'd say we sure won't be seeing it here in the US. We might be able to hear what it's like from the non-US members though!
      10-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #43
deshields
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009M3

What I take from this thread are two opinions:

#1) This is some kind of new BMW M3, either a CSL or a GT4 which is spiritually basically a CSL.

#2) This is some tuner's car with some stupid rear wing and front lip tacked on. This nameless tuner has its homebase in Munich where the car is registered. This mystery tuner is not only is based in Munich but also stores its test car in BMWs own facilities, as the admins state the car came and returned to the BMW test area. This tuner uses high end telemetry systems around the ring for testing their cars, as evidenced by all the antennas on the car, something that only large manufacturers do. Finally, this tuner hired professional drivers to test the car for them. I wonder who the mystery tuner is, they are obviously very good at keeping their name a secret, which is the complete opposite of what any sane tuner does-- they infact plaster their name/advertising anywhere and everywhere possible. Heres a wild guess, the mystery tuner is BMW M who is from Munich and keeps their car at the BMW test facilities and have access to high end telemetry equipment. Wow I must be a genius.
      10-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #44
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshields View Post
What I take from this thread are two opinions:

#1) This is some kind of new BMW M3, either a CSL or a GT4 which is spiritually basically a CSL.

#2) This is some tuner's car with some stupid rear wing and front lip tacked on. This nameless tuner has its homebase in Munich where the car is registered. This mystery tuner is not only is based in Munich but also stores its test car in BMWs own facilities, as the admins state the car came and returned to the BMW test area. This tuner uses high end telemetry systems around the ring for testing their cars, as evidenced by all the antennas on the car, something that only large manufacturers do. Finally, this tuner hired professional drivers to test the car for them. I wonder who the mystery tuner is, they are obviously very good at keeping their name a secret, which is the complete opposite of what any sane tuner does-- they infact plaster their name/advertising anywhere and everywhere possible. Heres a wild guess, the mystery tuner is BMW M who is from Munich and keeps their car at the BMW test facilities and have access to high end telemetry equipment. Wow I must be a genius.
LOL.
Appreciate 0