BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

09-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #111
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
I am sorry but I couldn't find the right answer? So, should I go to apple and buy that $30 adapter and it will work like iPhone 4s or no? I need music and charging. Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Even if you wanted to, they aren't available yet. But to answer your question, yes. It just won't do video.
100% its going to do audio out into the BMW ? cause I hear/see people saying it will not
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #112
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
100% its going to do audio out into the BMW ? cause I hear/see people saying it will not
Afaik
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #113
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

Sounds good. Doesn't matter too much anyways. It's freakin $30 and returnable. If it doesn't work, just return it. But if it doesn't work then I would be sad since I really liked charging and listening to music at the same time!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #114
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good. Doesn't matter too much anyways. It's freakin $30 and returnable. If it doesn't work, just return it. But if it doesn't work then I would be sad since I really liked charging and listening to music at the same time!
yeah man ! im not concerned with the expense im concerned that I wont get the functions lol
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #115
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Are the adapters available in store yet? Last I checked it had an expected October arrival date
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #116
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
I am sorry but I couldn't find the right answer? So, should I go to apple and buy that $30 adapter and it will work like iPhone 4s or no? I need music and charging. Thanks guys!
If you have a car produced 9/2010 or later, you can buy the (currently available but a bit backordered) Lightning to USB cable and just use that for audio. If you currently use a Y-cable, yes you have to wait for the adapter, which as THE TECH mentioned has availability listed as "October". But you can pre-order now. And if you want an interim solution, you MIGHT be able to use a standard Lightning to USB cable plus a standard headphone cable running from the iPhone's headphone jack to the car's AUX In. However, that won't sound quite as good because you'd then be piping amped audio rather than line-level audio into the stereo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
It will. The media messed this up big time because the original product description on Apple's site said "iPod Out not supported", which some press morons took to mean analog audio or external playback controls, when in fact it's the interface that BMW calls PlugIn. Both analog audio and external playback control will work just fine, and in fact the product description page has since been revised to remove the iPod Out note and just say "Video output not supported" instead, and it also explicitly says "Enables analog audio". You can see it right there on Apple's site.

But even if it weren't actually stated there, I figured the adapters had to have a built-in DAC to enable analog audio anyway. In addition to the fact that NOT supporting that function would make these adapters useless to practically everyone, why else would these two Lightning adapters be $10 and $20 MORE expensive than an entire Lightning cable? That alone suggested to me that these adapters were packing a bit more than a set of pin remaps.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-25-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #117
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
If you have a car produced 9/2010 or later, you can buy the (currently available but a bit backordered) Lightning to USB cable and just use that for audio. If you currently use a Y-cable, yes you have to wait for the adapter, which as THE TECH mentioned has availability listed as "October". But you can pre-order now. And if you want an interim solution, you MIGHT be able to use a standard Lightning to USB cable plus a standard headphone cable running from the iPhone's headphone jack to the car's AUX In. However, that won't sound quite as good because you'd then be piping amped audio rather than line-level audio into the stereo.

It will. The media messed this up big time because the original product description on Apple's site said "iPod Out not supported", which some press morons took to mean analog audio or external playback controls, when in fact it's the interface that BMW calls PlugIn. Both analog audio and external playback control will work just fine, and in fact the product description page has since been revised to remove the iPod Out note and just say "Video output not supported" instead, and it also explicitly says "Enables analog audio". You can see it right there on Apple's site.

But even if it weren't actually stated there, I figured the adapters had to have a built-in DAC to enable analog audio anyway. In addition to the fact that NOT supporting that function would make these adapters useless to practically everyone, why else would these two Lightning adapters be $10 and $20 MORE expensive than an entire Lightning cable? That alone suggested to me that these adapters were packing a bit more than a set of pin remaps.
My car is Nov 2008 so I have the Y cable. Will wait for the adapter. Thanks a ton man for your help! Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #118
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:

Right.
Audio = yes. Video = no.

Right:
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/light...-ipod-out-doe/

I've had mine on order since they first became available -- will post when it arrives, and advise what is does/doesn't do.

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #119
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
I solved the problem, I leave my iPhone 4S (with IOS 6) permintely in it's Apps/Media cradle in my X5 so Pandora, BMW Apps, Internet etc all work. Then I have my iPhone 5 connected via Bluetooth for messages, phone, contacts etc, until such time as a new cradle is developed.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #120
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
I solved the problem, I leave my iPhone 4S (with IOS 6) permintely in it's Apps/Media cradle in my X5 so Pandora, BMW Apps, Internet etc all work. Then I have my iPhone 5 connected via Bluetooth for messages, phone, contacts etc, until such time as a new cradle is developed.
So you're paying for a data plan for the phone that you leave in the car all the time?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #121
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
So you're paying for a data plan for the phone that you leave in the car all the time?
Got another $5.00 sim and added it to my plan which shares the 2gig of data that I have, no phone calls are made from it!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #122
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep

great ! this thread makes me feel much better now
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #123
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Mine is post Feb 2011 but still has the Y Cable inputs. What gives?
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #124
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
They all have a Y Cable input if you ordered 6FL, which I think is a standard option now. My2013 X5 will even except a Y Cable in the centre console, that's where I have my iPod connected when I use it.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #125
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
They all have a Y Cable input if you ordered 6FL, which I think is a standard option now. My2013 X5 will even except a Y Cable in the centre console, that's where I have my iPod connected when I use it.
Correct. You can still use a Y-cable if you want to (though it shouldn't have been included with the car itself unless the dealer mistakenly threw it in), but you wouldn't want to because digital audio over USB will sound better. And actually, it might be working that way even if you use the Y-cable unless you explicitly select Aux in iDrive. Just replace it with a standard white cable.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #126
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Correct. You can still use a Y-cable if you want to (though it shouldn't have been included with the car itself unless the dealer mistakenly threw it in), but you wouldn't want to because digital audio over USB will sound better. And actually, it might be working that way even if you use the Y-cable unless you explicitly select Aux in iDrive. Just replace it with a standard white cable.
So If i plug my standard iPhone 5 USB into my car it should play over USB? If true that's awesome.

I have been using my iPhone 4 cradle to date, but have noticed that the Y cable produces clearer sound? Could this be related or just perceived? At the moment as my iPhone 4 cradle broke anyway I have been using my old iphone 4 plugged into the Y cable as a dedicated music device. i was planning to grab an iPhone 5 media cradle as soon as one comes out though.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #127
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So If i plug my standard iPhone 5 USB into my car it should play over USB? If true that's awesome.

I have been using my iPhone 4 cradle to date, but have noticed that the Y cable produces clearer sound? Could this be related or just perceived? At the moment as my iPhone 4 cradle broke anyway I have been using my old iphone 4 plugged into the Y cable as a dedicated music device. i was planning to grab an iPhone 5 media cradle as soon as one comes out though.
If your car was produced 9/2010 or later, then yes a standard USB cable will work. I'm doing it right now.

I don't think there's a difference between the cradle and cable; both I believe are digital on 9/2010 and later cars -- but the cradle MIGHT still be using analog. I honestly wouldn't recommend getting the iPhone 5 cradle unless you really need to keep that USB port free for a different device. The iPhone doesn't have an external antenna tap so reception improvements are minimal to none, and even if you have BMW Apps, the video playback feature is lame (only works while parked anyway) and PlugIn is useless IMHO given how slick iDrive's normal interface is. So in the end you're paying a ton of money for essentially a second USB port. Just my 2 cents after having purchased a Media cradle for my 4S and sold it several months later never having used it except once to confirm it worked and check out the video features.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0