BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

08-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Bel-Tirid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 e92 Interlagos blue

m3post shift knob

Hi, last days i looked to change my shift knob on my M3 e92 manual.
After a while i didnt find one witch i like. Because i dont want to see same knob in e46 e36 e... 316...

so the story is: i went to my neighbor / best freind and i said to him, can u make me a shift knob from best aluminum u can buy. The answer was, yes no problem but u have to tell me what design do u want.

So i need you guys to help me design the best knob, the good part is that he is one of the best in the world with cnc. BMW gave him cnc machine to work for them. He is also drilling into carbon discs for aftermarket Ferraries and Porsche and some stuff for Ducati so the guy is legit... now i just need u guys to help me design it.

The last question from me was, can u write a name in it, he said yes no problem it will look nice.

I thought stock m3 knob, all in aluminium (the best one, mix with titan ) the 6 gear written in.
So the 6 gear will be polished inside, but the knob will be in matte alu.
And the knob must be lower, the space inside knob must be bigger (dont know how u say it in english) and a sign at the back of a knob

We have a nice opportunity to make a badass knob
So i need you guys to figure what is best.

If u help, i will told him to build some for u, with your requests for the price i have ( material and low work hour ) dont want to make money from this.

When we figure it out, it will be made in couple days and i will post pics, but i need your experience.
Sorry for bad english

Gasper Kenda
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Hi - I had an aluminium shift knob from Momo on my E46 for a while. It was hotter than a bride's kiss in the the sun, so I went back to OEM.

Like the idea though, interested to see what you come up with.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Grab a ball of clay on a stick and make the exact impression your hand makes to the clay when you firmly grab it. Then cover it with leather on the grips and a ring of carbon fiber and aluminum at the base.

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Bare aluminum shift knobs are terrible IMO as they are too hard / not comfortable and will burn your hand if you park in the sun. I much prefer a nice leather covered knob as it is much more comforable to the hand. Unless your buddy can perform quality leather work in addition to CNC machining, simply abandon this project and buy one of the existingly available leather knobs.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I want a full carbon one.
Appreciate 0