BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

08-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #23
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police arrest man for siphoning 300 gallons of grease from Burger King
by greg1usa | April 4, 2008

Police arrest man for siphoning 300 gallons of grease from Burger King
by greg1usa

An Illinois man was arrested for allegedly stealing from a Morgan Hill fast food restaurant. But it wasn't money or even burgers. Police say he stole used cooking oil.

David Richardson, 49, allegedly siphoned 300 gallons of the inedible grease Tuesday from an on-site storage tank at Burger King on Monterey Road and into his tanker that is used specifically to transport used cooking oil.

Police believe Richardson intended to recycle the cooking oil at a refinery in Atascadero, where he would get $1.35 per gallon. Police said Richardson's 5,000-gallon tank was approximately half full at the time of his arrest. A full tank would have netted Richardson $6,750.

"He certainly had been to other places in the area," said Morgan Hill police Cmdr. David Swing. "Our guess is its a bio-diesel fuel thing. It's like someone stealing copper wire. This might turn into something that starts to occur more frequently."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease theft roils Oregon biodiesel industry; up to 40 percent stolen, renderer says

June 10, 2008

In Oregon, grease theft is threatening the stability of the Oregon biodiesel industry. Grease collector Eugene Chemical and Rendering Works told Oregon Live that as much as 40 percent of their grease is stolen weekly. Meanwhile, grease prices have increased to $2.50 per gallon, up from 57 cents in 2000. More than 90 percent of Oregon biodiesel comes from waste vegetable oil, as biodiesel producers face economic constraints with other feedstocks as well as food vs. fuel concerns.

Grease theft background

In Washington state, Standard Biodiesel in Arlington said that “there’s some piracy going on” as grease bandits have moved into the Pacific Northwest. A company spokesperson told the Seattle Post Intelligencer that waste oil “is becoming quite the commodity,” Grease banditry has been reported in 10 states, with low-level organized crime moving into a field that steals grease valued at as much as $2.00 per gallon from restaurant disposal areas.

Grease thieves continue to appear in the news, interrupting the biodiesel supply chain in the US, prompting a feature story in the Christian Science Monitor on cases in Kentucky, Taxes, Florida, Missouri, California and Arkansas. Theft ranges from petty operations by home brewers to truck-based efforts yielding up to $6,000 in stolen grease in Texas, to gang-related grease theft in Arkansas.

Texas attorney Jon Jaworski, a self styled “grease lawyer” has defended more than 150 clients, and lost only one court case, said that “Juries are amazed by the time and effort put in to try to convict
people for stealing stuff that is rancid”, although grease now sells for $0.32 per pound, up from $0.12 per pound in 2006.

In Nevada earlier this year, a 49-year old man was arrested for stealing grease from a Burger King grease trap, intending to convert the grease into biodiesel. Burger King has a collection contract with San Jose Tallow, who contacted police when they saw the man transferring grease from the restaurants trap to a 5,000 gallon tank car. The theft is the latest in a spate of crime among “grease thieves”, attributed to the rising cost of biodiesel fuel and the corresponding rise in the value of grease as a feedstock.
Maybe they don't mind you siphoning out of their tanks in New York, but at these prices, I suspect they do. BTW there is some additional processing that you need to do before pouring the oil into a Mercedes. Or even a VW.

[yt]sEl0I0-kZW8[/yt]
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #24
kyngbrg
Registered
Rep
Drives: acura

merc deisels

Wait, this should help with the "cooling off period". I had a 85 300td sedan, and loved the ride. MB tex "rhinoserous skin" interior was bulletproof. Ran and drove like a fine truck. Low miles, knew the owner, all service records etc etc. I tried to make it work, however diesels require "timing" of the injector pump, or some such. Over time this is an issue if not spot on, causing the valves to leak.
Please get a quote for 1. new injectors and 2. a head rebuild for valve guides before purchase. I still remember the day the independend service advisor gave me the number, I said "thanks, I will schedule next week". Drove the Merc to the Acura dealer, traded in on a Legend, and have drive 200K without incident. Now lurking here as I have money to burn on new bmw.

A person above mentioned "Life is too short for regrets". I suggest that "Life is too short". Spending time waiting for injectors, pump timing, cleaning the deisel soot off your garage floor and walls, learning about how long it takes to get parts for a 20+ year old car etc is not "a life".
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #25
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

how much did he quote you?
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #26
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Do it
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #27
holson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enterprise Rent-A-Car

I love old Benzes, I had two myself, a 95 W124 E420 and an 82 W123 300CD Turbodiesel Coupe.

On the W124 diesel, watch out for the A/C: It cost me $5000 to fix a leaking AC evaporator core - labor intensive job as the dashboard had to be taken out. Other than that, make sure the engine hasn't been overheated.

On my W123:

Worn steering box, worn shocks, worn suspension bushings, weak window regulators, loping engine (never figured out why), busted sunroof cable ($$$$), leaking R12 A/C, oil leaks from the engine, the list goes on.

I learnt my lesson... the only way to properly run AND enjoy an old Benz AS a DAILY DRIVER is to have someone take care of it. Unless it will be your second car and won't become a nuissance if it needs work.. OR if you are really bored

It will NOT be an economical car... fun and cool, Yes.

On a similar note, I am looking to get a used Benz as a second car, but most probably a 190E. It'd be awesome if I can score a 190E Diesel but they are very rare and rather expensive these days. The 190E is pretty much a W124 underneath without the interior and trunk space.
      08-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #28
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

Had an 87 300e gas. I drove the fucking wheels off that car. The only car that i've ever been in that felt more substantial was my dad's 560sel. My mom had a 87 300d, god was that thing slow.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #29
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
check out http://www.coolgreencar.net/

Electric Sports cars purpose built for High Performance & range. Available now in 2008

Packages for the Porsche are fine tuned from over 5 years of actual daily driving 911 based EVs. Using the best components in race proven vehicles allows for huge power sometimes surpassing a similar gas cars performance. They are still easy to drive, the power is at the bottom too, driving the EV Porsche is a quiet treat with no stalling, no clutch, high pulling power, and a lot of coasting. Low center of gravity and spread out weight placement offer a very firm feel. These EVs are very easy to drive. With the high torque set up you may not have to shift more than one or 2 gears for forward and 1 reverse. Custom designs and available direct drive, 2 motor, and custom gearing are available. Tiptronic, automatic shifting available.
      08-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #30
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Always thought these were great looking cars