BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
erik2810
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Career Help/Guidance

Mods my apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section. First a little background information...

I graduated in 2011 with a Finance degree and immediately entered into the work force off the strength of my resume (ALL aerospace/defense industry based). While I am very fortunate to have not only found job that quickly and one that pays well, I can't help but feel unhappy with where my career is headed. Once again, I am really thankful for the opportunity to work in something as big as the defense industry as it has allowed me to purchase my first home, my e90, and give financial breathing room to enjoy things outside of work. But in the end, I just can't fathom being in this same industry for 3, 5, 10, or 20+ years. I'm not miserable, I don't hate life, and I'm certainly not complaining. Just don't like where I'm heading.

I've always been interested in the automotive industry since I was young and still maintain that passion for it, in any/every capacity really. Motorsport, design, business, engineering; I love it all. However, due to a large early influence from parents (suggesting that the industry doesn't "pay the bills") and the wrong career path (should have went into engineering), I feel like I'm now stuck.

Now I know that nothing is "greener on the other side" but I can't help but feel that I should try, in some way or another. Anyone have any suggestions or maybe even the same notions?? I'm just ready for change and would love to hear from anyone out there that has either made the jump or felt tthe same.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [10.00]
2013 BMW 128i  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Interesting post. Do you have a master's degree? Perhaps a masters in engineering is in order. I mean, it will be hard, but if you're smart you can do it.

You could also head off to business school and focus in the automotive field/engineering.

Just some thoughts.
[url]http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
slider86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP 6MT, 2021 M2C 6MT

Unless a new potential position is 100% perfect, it's usually just different shades of brown of the other side.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Rydicule
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

The easiest way to test the waters is to pick up something part time or on weekends and see how you feel about it.

Unfortunately, technicians aren't exactly paid "well", and if they are it's because they're under constant stress and doing as many jobs as they can. Aside from that, going into the business side of automotive production, distribution, and/or operations... it can be a competative, stressful field.

Personally, if it were me in your position with that particular interest and skill set, I would look at picking up a used car, something fairly cheap, and just use my interest to see what I could do with it. Add components, give painting a shot, put a cleaner stereo in it. Suspension, tuning, lighting, brakes... hey, whatever your particular pot of coffee is. Once you're happy with it, sell it.

Maybe if you find a particularly wealthy enthusiast, you might make 80% of your investment on it back. It'll fill the time, your passion, and improve your skills at a diverse set of different things in the industry. Then decide if it's still something you want to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Don't go back to school. It's just not a good investment anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
ef11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan M-Sport

I can't think of any job you could get in the automotive industry that would allow you to do all of the things your current job has. Obviously some people are able to, but I would have to think the vast majority of people in that industry do not make very good money.

With a finance degree, you could always start thinking about an MBA. MBAs allow you to have a focus in certain areas, granted it wouldn't be automotive, but it could get you into a much different industry than you are in now.

A masters in engineering (as someone else mentioned) is also definitely an option if you really want to go to school for a few more years. I could have gotten a masters in 3 more semesters, but that is because I already have an engineering degree. I'm not sure how many semesters you would need to get a masters in engineering without a bachelors in engineering. I would think it would take over 2 years.

No job really is perfect though...I've only been working for a little over a year, but I would tell you that things can change extremely quickly. I just got offered a new job with my company and it is a very different job than I have now, so it will seem like a new exciting world to me.

Keep your head up and be thankful you are in the situation you are in now, would be my advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
erik2810
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
Interesting post. Do you have a master's degree? Perhaps a masters in engineering is in order. I mean, it will be hard, but if you're smart you can do it.

You could also head off to business school and focus in the automotive field/engineering.

Just some thoughts.
No masters degree, but I have definitely been weighing it. Whether or not to go the MBA (broader opportunities) or an Engineering field is a tough decision.

In the end, what I'm doing right now (pricing analyst) is simply for the money. It has its' perks for a young college grad that graduates with nothing, but I'm starting to think long term in what I REALLY want to do.

Definitely considering the weekend warrior idea...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [10.00]
2013 BMW 128i  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Don't go back to school. It's just not a good investment anymore.
That's a bad piece of advice. It really depends on the field.
[url]http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
JBagel
Rep
Drives: 335is

I worked in the aerospace and defense industry for about 3 years before i decided to go back to school. I have a bachelors in mechanical engineering and went back for my MBA. Im not sure how lucrative finance positions are directly out of undergrad (unless its I-Banking), but engineering would not have allowed me to afford the things i wanted to do in my life. I just graduated last week and i can say that getting an advanced degree can certainly be worth it. An MBA is especially useful if you want to completely change career paths. However, there are financial sacrifices you need to make along the way as it isn't cheap to get.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
erik2810
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBagel View Post
I worked in the aerospace and defense industry for about 3 years before i decided to go back to school. I have a bachelors in mechanical engineering and went back for my MBA. Im not sure how lucrative finance positions are directly out of undergrad (unless its I-Banking), but engineering would not have allowed me to afford the things i wanted to do in my life. I just graduated last week and i can say that getting an advanced degree can certainly be worth it. An MBA is especially useful if you want to completely change career paths. However, there are financial sacrifices you need to make along the way as it isn't cheap to get.
I think this is the right way to go. Thanks for this.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144
That's a bad piece of advice. It really depends on the field.
No it doesn't.

Unless you are fortunate enough to go to school for free, the ROI on college degrees just isn't there anymore, regardless of the field.

I received a bachelors in biomedical engineering last year. After what it costs me in student loan payments I'd be better off if I'd have gone to vocational school and skipped college altogether.
      05-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Perhaps this article will help you a little bit...

It's quite a good read. You don't mention your age, but most of us hit the crossroads of current careers vs. new career at some point - I'm there myself.

If you're not happy in your current field, I would discourage from seeking an advanced degree, your heart won't be in it and it's a lot of work (I'm working on Masters now - though it will help me with my future endeavors). If you think you do want to pursue an advanced degree, I would urge you to hit up degreeinfo.com, a distance ed forum of which I have been part of for seven years.

Remember, your parents come from a different generation with different perceptions - the days of spending 40 years with the same organization are rare now, as many now seek to get meaning and fulfillment out of their career, not just a paycheck.

Take a vacation, sit back and think about what you want to do; what interests you? Can you afford to leave your current job? Don't jump at something new, but plan it out well, weigh the pros/cons and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Quote:
No it doesn't.

Unless you are fortunate enough to go to school for free, the ROI on college degrees just isn't there anymore, regardless of the field.

I received a bachelors in biomedical engineering last year. After what it costs me in student loan payments I'd be better off if I'd have gone to vocational school and skipped college altogether.
Perhaps rather than making a very broad statement about pursuing a University education, it would be better if you were to steer him away from your chosen field?

Not all fields are equal.

If one wants to pursue a trade, by all means, go for it! Good pay, great opportunities to be your own boss (electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc.), etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
JBagel
Rep

Quote:
No it doesn't.

Disagree,

If your ROI calculation is based off a payback period of 1 year, you may be correct. Over a lifetime, however, many college degrees pay off in spades. Your biomedical degree being one of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

imo it's too late, and your parents were right. but you can be happy and poor too, pretty hard from the experiences of people i know. just excel in your field make more money, happiness should follow when you get security. invest wisely.

oem blacklines, m3 rep front. waiting for install oem m3 sides... coming soon. csl trunk mtech rear and more.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

I'm a bit confused on how much you engineers are making out of school. It sounds like you guys are either financially struggling or your cost of living including leisurely activities is higher than your salary. I know engineers don't make the most out of graduating students, but at my school, 85 percent of engineering students find jobs upon graduating, and the majority of those graduates make around 70-80k per year on average for their first year of work.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

If you're making enough money, I don't know why you would even consider becoming a weekend warrior, even as a commissioned officer. That extra 800 bucks (or however much it is, I don't remember) is not worth making the trip every month to some base/post to play 'military.' Unless, of course, you're just looking to change things up in your life, then I would understand that.

Seriously, if you're unhappy with the direction of your life and even considered joining the military, assuming you graduated with good academic standing and have a clean record, why not commission as an officer, travel the world, then have the government pay for your MBA in whatever you want?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Use your money to enjoy cars. Dealing with other peoples awesome cars isn't all its cracked up to be when you can't afford one on your own.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
Astephens94
Slightly modified...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
Have you read 'the 4 hour work week'? If not, read it. Pm me if you're near pa. Happy to give you my perspective/give you my copy
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
imo it's too late, and your parents were right. but you can be happy and poor too, pretty hard from the experiences of people i know. just excel in your field make more money, happiness should follow when you get security. invest wisely.
+1

Don't make your hobby your career. Its mixing business with pleasure, and leads you down a path where you have no life outside of your work - which isn't good either if you ever plan on settling down to start a family.

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #21
JBagel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
I'm a bit confused on how much you engineers are making out of school. It sounds like you guys are either financially struggling or your cost of living including leisurely activities is higher than your salary. I know engineers don't make the most out of graduating students, but at my school, 85 percent of engineering students find jobs upon graduating, and the majority of those graduates make around 70-80k per year on average for their first year of work.
The only engineers that are approaching that kinda money out of college are ivy leaguers or possibly chemical engineers some software engineers. Certainly not aerospace.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #22
jafza412
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
+1

Don't make your hobby your career. Its mixing business with pleasure, and leads you down a path where you have no life outside of your work - which isn't good either if you ever plan on settling down to start a family.
DISAGREE!! Find a career doing something you love and you'll never spend a day of your life working right?

I am in management and operations consulting. I spend my days in customer environments figuring out how to streamline and improve their business. Sounds nerdy and probably boring to some, but I love it and enjoy going to work. I would encourage you to find a field you have a passion while you are still young and agile in the workforce.

Also, pursing a Master's in engineering isn't that cut and dry. As a Finance based undergrad, I am assuming you didn't have moderate levels of physics, calculus, chemistry, materials, etc., which will all be pre-requisites for the Master's level courses. And fulfilling these requirements will extend your timing.

Current: 2016 M3 | Mineral Grey on Black
Retired: 2010 E92 335xi, 2007 E90 328i, 2010 A4, 2003 E46 325xi
Appreciate 0