BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #265
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Not talking stocks - talking customer service & product. Don't see many if any threads of people bitching about ADVAN, BBS, HRE's Volks...Find plenty of people bitching about ADV1's & 360 forged. Clear pattern -
Stocks are companies. It is exactly the same thing.

Every one of those companies have had more wheel failures than ADV.1.

Did you see their response to this issue? They admitted they screwed up, vowed to improve, and offered the OP anything he wanted to fix the problem. That is customer service.

There has been *one* ADV.1 failure on this board. Every person that had an issue with 360 forged has been taken care of, and ADV.1 has repeatedly said to contact them if there are any outstanding claims.

What we have here is a mob mentality affecting a company that is creating jobs in a recovering economy, and I don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #266
Yea Boi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Next stop...20+ pages. Here it comes people.

That is terrifying to me, as an X5 owner with a daughter in it.
You said it, 13 pages and counting
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #267
mot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 AW M3 6MT

Glad nothing bad happened.

The internet can just destroy companies...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #268
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:

Did you see their response to this issue? They admitted they screwed up, vowed to improve, and offered the OP anything he wanted to fix the problem. That is customer service.

There has been *one* ADV.1 failure on this board. Every person that had an issue with 360 forged has been taken care of, and ADV.1 has repeatedly said to contact them if there are any outstanding claims.

What we have here is a mob mentality affecting a company that is creating jobs in a recovering economy, and I don't like it.
+1, some of the people on this board are ridiculous. It's no wonder that people have the opinion of M3 owners that they do.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #269
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:

Some companies deserve to die off in a free market economy. Survival of the fittest. What I don't understand is why people don't research prior to buying the product.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #270
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Eugene ,
let us know when you get full refund. hope no delay on the refund process.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #271
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

We have a phone call scheduled for tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #272
BMWJones
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Space Gray 6/MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony135 View Post
We have a phone call scheduled for tonight.
Great, then we can finally put this to bed and move on!

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #273
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR///M3 View Post
+100... there are so many ADV.1 haters that don't even listen to logic...
r ur adv10 tuv tested n certified?? do they meet sae-j2530, jwl, or via standards? lmk

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #274
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
i hope ADV's reponse was also posted to the "Asian forums and Korean ones"
      03-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #275
db71
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
r ur adv10 tuv tested n certified?? do they meet sae-j2530, jwl, or via standards? lmk

Nobody's whole wheel line is tested. I will guarantee it.

And just because your management system is certified that does not guarantee your wheels will not have supplier related issues. If that was the case here.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #276
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by db71 View Post

And just because your management system is certified that does not guarantee your wheels will not have supplier related issues. If that was the case here.
Truth.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #277
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Lots of reading here. 2 things that I notice still have not been answered, and now I'm a bit curious myself:

1) Is Tom, the "head engineer" mentioned on Adv's site http://www.adv1wheels.com/adv1wheels/dem/engineer.php, degreed? If so, what type(s) of degree(s) does he hold?
2) Is it true that there was an issue in the machining such that the holes did not line up and bolts had be threaded in @ an angle? If so, is it true that ADV knew about this at the time of assembly and sold them to customers with this knowledge?

And I read Jordan's response. I'd just like a direct, simple answer to these 2 questions. Not hating, just curious. Thanks.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 03-23-2012 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #278
db71
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Lots of reading here. 2 things that I notice still have not been answered, and I now I'm a bit curious, myself:

1) Is Tom, the engineer mentioned on Adv's site, degreed? If so, in what?
2) Is it true that there was an issue in the machining such that the holes did not line up and bolts had be threaded in @ an angle? If so, did ADV sign off on this?

And I read Jordan's response. I'd just like a direct, simple answer to these 2 questions. Not hating, just curious. Thanks.
I would also like to know this.

I do not feel you have to be a degreed engineer to design and make wheels but do not call the person engineer if they do not have the degree to back it up.

If there was not a machining issue on these wheels was there perhaps on another set?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #279
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

^100% disagree with this statement. IMO, only a PE should be allowed to sign off on a wheel design and a degreed engineer perform the detailed structural analysis of a wheel design.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #280
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
I would also like to know this.

I do not feel you have to be a degreed engineer to design and make wheels but do not call the person engineer if they do not have the degree to back it up.

If there was not a machining issue on these wheels was there perhaps on another set?
Our engineer used to engineer for MHT for years and we just hired him on full time to do our wheels as our volume increased. And yes, he has an engineering degree.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #281
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Lots of reading here. 2 things that I notice still have not been answered, and now I'm a bit curious myself:

1) Is Tom, the "head engineer" mentioned on Adv's site http://www.adv1wheels.com/adv1wheels/dem/engineer.php, degreed? If so, what type(s) of degree(s) does he hold?
2) Is it true that there was an issue in the machining such that the holes did not line up and bolts had be threaded in @ an angle? If so, is it true that ADV knew about this at the time of assembly and sold them to customers with this knowledge?

Pertaining to the incorrect machining (and I think J's response directly responded to this) but in case it didn't fully explain - that was a potential cause that was suggested when the first case popped up 14 months ago as we couldn't think of any other reason for the crack to occur.

At the time the cause was suggested other failures hadn't yet occurred. But after physically checking the wheels with the issue it was not the case. Only after the second failure did we start looking for links between the various orders and started being able to track down similar production times and the same innner barrel being used.

Hope that clears it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #282
db71
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
Our engineer used to engineer for MHT for years and we just hired him on full time to do our wheels as our volume increased. And yes, he has an engineering degree.

Sounds good Matt it doesn't matter to me either way but with the way other companies have discussed engineering I thought it should be answered.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #283
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No problem at all. Happy to clear it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #284
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Very good. Thank you for your responses.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #285
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Quote:

uhh no offense, i wasn't talkin 2 u. nor am i disregardin wut u're sayin...
i'm jus lettin MR///M3 kno wut logic is behind my dislike of adv fyi.

since u brought up that "nobody's whole wheel line is tested", check this:

doesn't "100 applications" mean more than 1 line of wheel? n hav u even read this thread? http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596608
adv says they've registered w/ tuv n they're currently waitin 4 the paperwork 2 be finalized/processed.
i aint sayin it's not tru bc i hope they get tuv approval, i really do.
i jus don't like how they basically said "our wheels r certified by tuv" then all of the sudden "we jus registered w/ tuv".

look, all i care 4 a wheel 2 hav is sae, all other certs (jwl, via, tuv) r a plus imo.
i've already asked ADV.1 Matt n it seems like all he cares bout right now is 2 make op happy, which's great!
but i jus wanna kno if their wheels r sae-j2530. if so, do they hav proof? i kno 4 a fact they're not jwl or via.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #286
db71
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
uhh no offense, i wasn't talkin 2 u. nor am i disregardin wut u're sayin...
i'm jus lettin MR///M3 kno wut logic is behind my dislike of adv fyi.

since u brought up that "nobody's whole wheel line is tested", check this:

doesn't "100 applications" mean more than 1 line of wheel? n hav u even read this thread? http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596608
adv says they've registered w/ tuv n they're currently waitin 4 the paperwork 2 be finalized/processed.
i aint sayin it's not tru bc i hope they get tuv approval, i really do.
i jus don't like how they basically said "our wheels r certified by tuv" then all of the sudden "we jus registered w/ tuv".

look, all i care 4 a wheel 2 hav is sae, all other certs (jwl, via, tuv) r a plus imo.
i've already asked ADV.1 Matt n it seems like all he cares bout right now is 2 make op happy, which's great!
but i jus wanna kno if their wheels r sae-j2530. if so, do they hav proof? i kno 4 a fact they're not jwl or via.
Here is a thing about testing wheels to any of the standards the smallest tire you can test on a 20 is a 35 series so if you are running less the test is thrown out anyway. Because it is not recommended tire size. They also require every offset and every width to be tested. If you truly want to know facts about any testing call STL labs and ask.

About the best thing you can do is make a center test that one style in one width and if it passes do fea on the other widths and offsets.

The TUV thing is funny because TUV is like CARB and god knows nobody's ever put a non carb component on in California.

As for adv1 and the TUV bs who knows. There are certain bolt patterns and offsets that fit multiple vehicles I think that is what they mean by applications. Tested maybe 5 styles in 2 offsets and widths would give you 100 apps probably.
Appreciate 0