BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

07-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Amuse trunk AND downforce effect

Planning to get the Amuse Ericcson trunk BUT worried about catching the car from reach top speed smoothly

In other words, not sure if the car will remain accelerate the same especially on high speeds!!

Please share your thoughts professionaly.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

It's for looks not function. I seriously doubt it's been tested in a wind tunnel such as BMW does on the car. Keep in mind if it should increase downforce it'll also increase drag which will limit your top speed.
      07-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
It's for looks not function. I seriously doubt it's been tested in a wind tunnel such as BMW does on the car. Keep in mind if it should increase downforce it'll also increase drag which will limit your top speed.
AGREE... i have one and to be honest i dont feel a thing... ive gone to 140 without hesitation... plus im not sure what fwy will allow you to drive more than 65MPH.. at this point... its just looks... in regards to drag... cant feel a damn thing even going in corners still feels like what it should.

good luck bro... i suggest get it. dont worry about the drag or top speed since we never get that far as often we would like anyways. LOL

07-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

I do street racing alot that's why I think it would affect acceleration a bit on high speeds and this is want o want to be sure about!

Sean, ofcourse ur not gonna feel a slight differrence but it could be there
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3sexMT View Post
I do street racing alot that's why I think it would affect acceleration a bit on high speeds and this is want o want to be sure about!

Sean, ofcourse ur not gonna feel a slight differrence but it could be there
....Wait, what what what? You street race so often that you're concerned about the trunk slowing you down?

I don't even know where to begin with this....I can't be the only one who thinks that this is absurd....
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

No, you're not the only one....
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

wrong car for street racing. you should've bought a torque monster instead
      07-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

don't forget he's in the AE, no speed limits there
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
....Wait, what what what? You street race so often that you're concerned about the trunk slowing you down?

I don't even know where to begin with this....I can't be the only one who thinks that this is absurd....
YEA concerned!! street racing here starts form 60 or 70 al the way to 280+km/h am not talking about drag racing.

and y r u so sure that this trunk doesnt put any effect!! look at the shape!

i am looking for useful thoughts not funny comments!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
don't forget he's in the AE, no speed limits there
Quote:
YEA concerned!! street racing here starts form 60 or 70 al the way to 280+km/h am not talking about drag racing.

and y r u so sure that this trunk doesnt put any effect!! look at the shape!

i am looking for useful thoughts not funny comments!!
Ok, I'll be fair and answer your question honestly. First, I think it has a slight affect, think Nascar wing. However, I don't think it's all that significant. Heavens knows the trunk was not noticeably slowing down the EAS car at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. I think the driver will have much more of an affect on the car's speed than the trunk will.

Second, I don't know where "AE" is so I can't comment about your eagerness to do a hundred and plenty and engage in street races, but I'm not sure that street racing in "AE" is legal. Correct me if I'm wrong, and if I am, I apologize sincerely and profusely, but to the best of my knowledge, street racing is an illegal activity in most major countries that not only endangers the life of the driver, it also endangers the lives of any potential passengers, all surrounding traffic, and any pedestrians in the area.

I know this comment isn't useful to you, but I certainly wasn't trying to be funny in any way. Our automotive communities have seen a number of youths who have lost their lives early on, and, although I can't patronize you for your youth as I'm somewhat young myself, I can admonish you for being a safety risk to innocents, if street racing is in fact not legal in "AE". People who engage in dangerous activities like street racing are part of the reason why society has such a stereotypically twisted but apparently justified view on youthful drivers.

You really need to go to a drag strip. it's not even all that expensive if you think about it. The only thing you'll really lack over street racing is the thrill you get from doing something illegal.

I've had my say OP, sorry to threadjack, I did technically respond to your question though. I've had my say and I'll say no more.

Last edited by LateBraking; 07-26-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

My question was clear and very straight forward about the Trunk effect due to the shape!! YES or NO, Affects or Doesnt on high speeds acceleration. Thats it.

Not looking for a police officer advise regarding street racing.

not trying to find out what is leagal and what is not!!

even exhaust shit is not a legal shit when it comes to rules and shit!!

BUMP
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:

Quote:
Ok, I'll be fair and answer your question honestly. First, I think it has a slight affect, think Nascar wing. However, I don't think it's all that significant. Heavens knows the trunk was not noticeably slowing down the EAS car at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. I think the driver will have much more of an affect on the car's speed than the trunk will.

Second, I don't know where "AE" is so I can't comment about your eagerness to do a hundred and plenty and engage in street races, but I'm not sure that street racing in "AE" is legal. Correct me if I'm wrong, and if I am, I apologize sincerely and profusely, but to the best of my knowledge, street racing is an illegal activity in most major countries that not only endangers the life of the driver, it also endangers the lives of any potential passengers, all surrounding traffic, and any pedestrians in the area.

I know this comment isn't useful to you, but I certainly wasn't trying to be funny in any way. Our automotive communities have seen a number of youths who have lost their lives early on, and, although I can't patronize you for your youth as I'm somewhat young myself, I can admonish you for being a safety risk to innocents, if street racing is in fact not legal in "AE". People who engage in dangerous activities like street racing are part of the reason why society has such a stereotypically twisted but apparently justified view on youthful drivers.

You really need to go to a drag strip. it's not even all that expensive if you think about it. The only thing you'll really lack over street racing is the thrill you get from doing something illegal.

I've had my say OP, sorry to threadjack, I did technically respond to your question though. I've had my say and I'll say no more.
QFT.
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My question was clear and very straight forward about the Trunk effect due to the shape!! YES or NO, Affects or Doesnt on high speeds acceleration. Thats it.

Not looking for a police officer advise regarding street racing.

not trying to find out what is leagal and what is not!!

BUMP
I'm sorry that I lied by posting, but just wanted to be straight for the record. I, along with Sean and J08M3, already answered this question for you earlier. Think Nascar. Yes, it does affect your top speed, but to be honest, marginally. You won't notice it. Sean said he doesn't notice it and he has the trunk himself, and I put a trunk spoiler on my car, and I haven't noticed it either. It's not a full-on wing.

And exhausts don't kill people. Anyways, I'm out, back to browsing off-topic section.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

This threads getting funny quickly
      07-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry that I lied by posting, but just wanted to be straight for the record. I, along with Sean and J08M3, already answered this question for you earlier. Think Nascar. Yes, it does affect your top speed, but to be honest, marginally. You won't notice it. Sean said he doesn't notice it and he has the trunk himself, and I put a trunk spoiler on my car, and I haven't noticed it either. It's not a full-on wing.

And exhausts don't kill people. Anyways, I'm out, back to browsing off-topic section.
Brother, no one said you should be out the way the Amuse tunk goes up high at the rear edge more than any other trunk or any other spoiler (not comparing to GT wings ofcourse), made me creat this thread!

And just trying to find out if there is an effect, is it a slight one or noticible and thats it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #16
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:
a few things are clear by your posts...

you don't read what others have to say (LateBraking, J08M3). Or at least you don't take into account what those with the trunk already say. (Sean05)

you like to street race and you like to type the word shit repetitively.
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #17
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

AE is Arab Emirates

There are no drag stripes there.

There are no speed limits there.
There are no laws there.

This is if you're rich/ have money. Since he has a M3 (IIRC, it's 100k+ easy over there), and a natural born citizen, then he can by pass many of the rules

At least this is what I have been told by my cousin's new husband (he was born and raised in AE and his family's net worth is millions of US dollars), so I take what he says for truth (as I have only visited and not lived there)

While I was, I saw plenty of people driving fast (AMGs, Ferrari's) and saw them pass the cops. The cops ignored them.
The cops only pulled over normal cars (like Toyota's).

It's different over there. going 150mph is nothing. Their freeways/roads are clear, clean, smooth, and nothing like the shitty freeways we have here in LA.

OP:
If you want to make your car faster, send me a PM.

In a dream, I was able to hit 185 (speedo speed) on my car.
I don't condone it, but it was a pretty much open road, little to no traffic, plus I didn't keep it at that speed for long. At least that's what I remember from my dream :P
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90///M3` View Post
a few things are clear by your posts...

you don't read what others have to say (LateBraking, J08M3). Or at least you don't take into account what those with the trunk already say. (Sean05)

you like to street race and you like to type the word shit repetitively.
J08M3 and Sean05 replies were welcome and i had no shit-related rplies to them!!
LateBraking expressed him self in an unsefull way to me and had just to show how educated he is without even knowing what speeds am talking about and what kind of street racing i get involved in.

unfortunatly i am able to express my self well in English as its not my mother tongue.

And your not here to teach me manners
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #19
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
AE is Arab Emirates

There are no drag stripes there.

There are no speed limits there.
There are no laws there.

This is if you're rich/ have money. Since he has a M3 (IIRC, it's 100k+ easy over there), and a natural born citizen, then he can by pass many of the rules

At least this is what I have been told by my cousin's new husband (he was born and raised in AE and his family's net worth is millions of US dollars), so I take what he says for truth (as I have only visited and not lived there)

While I was, I saw plenty of people driving fast (AMGs, Ferrari's) and saw them pass the cops. The cops ignored them.
The cops only pulled over normal cars (like Toyota's).

It's different over there. going 150mph is nothing. Their freeways/roads are clear, clean, smooth, and nothing like the shitty freeways we have here in LA.

OP:
If you want to make your car faster, send me a PM.

In a dream, I was able to hit 185 (speedo speed) on my car.
I don't condone it, but it was a pretty much open road, little to no traffic, plus I didn't keep it at that speed for long. At least that's what I remember from my dream :P
We have 4 Drag stripes here.

we do have speed limits as well, 40-80km limit in the city (depends on the area), 120km/h for big main roads, 140km/h for the highways

law is there allover the world my friend.

street racing fine in here is as follows: AED 2000 + 1 month car embound+ 12 black point to be added to the drivers license!! u can pay 3000 for the car embound and get your car back! sou pay total oh AED 5000= $1330 + 12 black points

Yes my 09 M3 DCT coupe fully loaded was $104k (not trying to show off).

Not everything told by ur cusin was acurate, but agree on some points.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

like i said, if you have money, you can get off just fine....
$1330 to get your car back after street racing is cheap.
can't really do that over here..
I guess the reason the cops let those cars go is cause there's no way to catch them

In one of my dreams a similar thing happened to me. I think i was going 150 on a place called the "5", and it was empty except for a cop on the side. he hit me with radar but I didn't see him come after me. i ended up exiting when i was out of sight though. at least this is how i think my dream went

My cousin doesn't race cars so I guess that's why he didn't know about the drag stripes. plus he hasn't lived in the AE for several years; he's been in Europe. That could be a factor as well
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #21
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anyway, maybe any other aerodynamics realted factor than down force could take place due the shape of the Amuse trunk?? like air flaw distruction!!

Bump
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #22
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyway, maybe any other aerodynamics realted factor than down force could take place due the shape of the Amuse trunk?? like air flaw distruction!!

Bump
Sorry I can't understand what you're trying to say so I am unable to answer your question
Appreciate 0