BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Good book I am working through...

http://www.amazon.com/Driving-Edge-A...9306433&sr=8-1

I am working through this book at the moment, getting my northeast winter track fix, as it were!

I am enjoying reading this book, so I thought I would share. It seems to pick up after the Skip Barber School "Going Faster" book in terms of instruction and explanation of what you do and why...it also is a lot more up to date and even talks about driving with KERS! I think the thing which hooked me was reading about "blipping" the throttle where he states it is better to over blip than under blip. I tend to over blip on downshifts and having the car "punch" a little on engaging the clutch. He states that this is the better of two evils as it weights the rear wheels and puts some more grip at the back and keeps you straight but off-line, whereas under blipping and locking the rear wheels will further brake the car, loose rear wheel traction and potentially induce a spin.

The book also uses several data traces to illustrate the difference between drivers and their speed through braking and corners and the subsequent difference in lap time. As someone that muses about data loggers, but doesn't really understand how to analyze it most effectively to improve driving, this seemed to be a good primer.

Anyhow, I am liking this book and thought I would bring it up in the section...would love to hear if anyone else has read it - especially advanced drivers and instructors - and their comments