BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Those waiting for E93 - relatively short review

Yesterday I picked up my SSII/black novillo/brushed aluminum E93 (most significant options are 19", M DCT, performance/tech packs). ABSOULTELY GORGEOUS - was a cloudless, beautify blue-sky, 85 degree day here in Chicago - I didn't take pic's yet, and I'll have to wait a little longer since it's cloudy today - will post in the near future though.

To all of those still patiently waiting for your E93 to get delivered:

First, it's totally worth the wait!! Also:

M DCT: I would definitely agree with all of the prior posts singing positive praises for the car, including M DCT (and therefore, I'll spare the repetition). For some of the prior debate about a slight amount of "hesitation" from a stop - yes, but: 1) very slight; and 2) only if you give it gas the way your grandma would drive her old Buick. I will verify the prior threads/posts that if you give it gas on start up, this will not be a problem.

TORQUE/POWER: I've definitely made a conscious effort to stay below 5500 rpm's - if the year and a half wait was worth it in waiting to get the car, what's another few weeks to hit 1200 miles? And besides, for those who are worried that 295 ft/lbs is not enough - no worries... the car never feels sluggish or underpowered, even with the extra 400+ lbs of the convertible - the engine really pulls, even more noticeably so at 3500-4500 - the aggressive final-drive ratio makes the car feel a lot more powerful that the mere number of 295 ft/lbs would otherwise suggest - like everyone says, the ft/lb rating at the crankshaft is really more academic than practical - torque at the wheels is what ultimately makes a car "feel" fast, and the E93 does not disappoint in this regard.

S65 SOUND: Intoxicating - especially with the top down. Some people may like a little more volume, but I think it already sounds very agressive and powerful - I could just listen to it all day - but for the domestic/work responsibilities - I'd probably bankrupt myself in gasoline purchases within the next month.

Handling/cornering: Brilliant (my apologies to the coupe/sedan owners who are undoubtedly cringing as they read this). I'm sure it's not at the same level as the coupe/sedan, but leaps and bounds better than anything less than an M or comparable car - it's about 350 lbs heavier than my 530xi, yet it would run circles around my much lighter 5 series in the cornering/handling department - and by the way, I think my 5 series is pretty darn good given the type of car it is - don't let Clarkson's BS review concern you - I've test driven an E92 M3, and trust me, you would have to drive the cars on a track or risk being ticketed for reckless driving to notice any difference in handling/torsional rigidity, etc. in street driving - I've not heard any rattles or squeaks, and I have not heard any "fluttering" sound anywhere up to about 85 mph like some 335i vert owners have experienced - don't let the 'vert hating trolls fool you on this one!! (For the record, I like Jeremy Clarkson - he strikes me as someone who is legitimately very knowledgeable about cars and is pretty darn funny, but for the sake of TV ratings (or possibly his rumored-bias against BMWs), he'll give reviews that frankly don't always seem consistent with data and/or personal experience. When I drove the E93 agressively, it was literally light-years better than Clarkson's review.

Accleration: I cannot speak to how noticeable any difference is in acceleration between my E93 M DCT E93 and the 6MT E92 I drove - I stayed below 5500 rpms on the E92 I drove out of respect for its future owner, and at these lower rpm's, it would be speculation on my part to know how noticeable of a difference there would be - again, even at less than 5500, the car never felt inadequate in acceleration, and is actually pretty darn quick even under these break-in conditions.

Hang in there future fellow E93 drivers - the wait is almost over and it will be so worth it!!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
bahnstormer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 550I, 6spd.07 MCS 09 m3 DCT

Congrats. Enjoy the ride. I agree about the DCT it works wonderful everything is precise.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Thanks Powerslide!! Congratulations on finally getting your car, and thanks for taking the time to write such an informative post (for us soon-to-be E93 M3 owners). Looking forward to lost of pics!

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I appreciate your review also even if I am a E92 6mt'er, always happy to hear others review and passion for their brand new car just like I was when I got mine...thanks for posting ENJOY can't wait to see the pics

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0