BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

For those with cheap customers/clients fixated on price

This is awesome, I need to have it printed off, ready to give to those who only care about grinding the price down lower and lower and lower....

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
This is awesome, I need to have it printed off, ready to give to those who only care about grinding the price down lower and lower and lower....

Haha that is good. I have a few customers I could send this too.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
pt
Private
Rep
Drives: I miss my E12

So true. I've had people ask me to fix stuff that got screwed up for this reason - they got poor results because they cheaped out. I'll quote them a price and then they start whining that they shouldn't have to pay me because they already paid once for the project.

Brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

Sounds like everyone on this forum trying to buy stuff from the for sale section.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
Sounds like everyone on this forum trying to buy stuff from the for sale section.
That's only because everyone on the forums see their car as immaculately perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

When it comes to negotiating $$. (Contractor, used car, getting a new job/raise)
I always keep one thing in mind.

"You either get fcuked over or You fcuk them over"
      11-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
When it comes to negotiating $$. (Contractor, used car, getting a new job/raise)

Damn man, fucking someone over is something but fcuking? Is that like fucking but with different genitalia?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Damn man, fucking someone over is something but fcuking? Is that like fucking but with different genitalia?
good one.
      11-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
HTran
Pi Epsilon Pi
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:

Ohhh you fancy, with your French connection lingo. Haha I kid.

I totally concur, it's either they maximize your consumer surplus or you maximize the producer surplus. I rather choose the latter, but that's subjective because I usually understand the "you get what you pay for" paradigm.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
pt
Private
Rep

A musician acquaintance recently expressed some frustration about TV productions asking him for material. When the price is conveyed, he's told "sorry, we haven't got budget for music. but the exposure will be great for you." There are plenty of opportunists counting on people to discount their services like that in an unsteady economy.

This guy really doesn't need exposure, he wants to get paid for his work. As should we all.

To some extent, sales leads will always be filled with some amount of tire-kickers and wankers. I'm actually wondering, though, how people here deal with the objection?

Typically, I see a 'no-budget' objection as a dead-end and decide to limit my time with the prospect. I'll just ask "does your lack of budget mean that we won't have the opportunity to do business together this year?" and let it go. Nobody ever turned around, and I'm wondering if there's a way that other folks here have had some success with this?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

im an auto leasing broker and iv had clients that call me with questions about a car that they didnt get from me because i was literally $3 more per month. when i tell them to go ask the guy they got the car from they say either hes not responding or he doesnt know.

makes me feel good when they learn the hard way
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I always tell my tooling suppliers I want my tools for either free or cheaper.

That usually makes the prices go up..., odd.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

I forwarded this pic to my sales staff, got an excellent response from them and they're filing it away for future use.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt View Post
To some extent, sales leads will always be filled with some amount of tire-kickers and wankers. I'm actually wondering, though, how people here deal with the objection?
In sales, as in many things, you don't want to put everything in one basket. If everything you have is riding on not getting rejected by this one person because "it's too expensive" you need to find a boarder base of customers or possibly a new line of work. I personally get rejected based on price on an almost daily basis, in part because I like to eat and in part because I am typically the one who gets the call at 2am to fix what the other company fucked up. I also have some customers who will buy from me, regardless of price because of that "I'll be there at 2am" attitude.

When somebody tells me that something is simply too expensive, out of budget, or they can get it cheaper somewhere else; I typically ask what the price they were expecting was. There are some people who don't think you know how to play the pricing game, and will ask something that is below your cost and tell you they can get it from XYZ corp. for that price. There are also the ones that will tell you that they honestly don't have the budget for it, but will tell you that it will be in the budget for X quarter/year/whatever, which you can work with. The ones who will tell me that they can't afford it, but wont tell you what they can spend are 50/50 on just wanting you to lower the price or truthfully cannot afford it.

I work in an industry with well known discounting levels, so when I have people tell me they can get it for less than my costs (and I am typically at the highest discounting levels), I always laugh and tell them to go ahead and buy from that other company. ~80% of the time, I still will get the deal, the other 20% they think they are proving a point by not giving me the business. Either way, I don't care.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Like they say: If you are playing poker, and you can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.
      11-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
pt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
In sales, as in many things, you don't want to put everything in one basket. If everything you have is riding on not getting rejected by this one person because "it's too expensive" you need to find a boarder base of customers or possibly a new line of work. I personally get rejected based on price on an almost daily basis, in part because I like to eat and in part because I am typically the one who gets the call at 2am to fix what the other company fucked up. I also have some customers who will buy from me, regardless of price because of that "I'll be there at 2am" attitude.

When somebody tells me that something is simply too expensive, out of budget, or they can get it cheaper somewhere else; I typically ask what the price they were expecting was. There are some people who don't think you know how to play the pricing game, and will ask something that is below your cost and tell you they can get it from XYZ corp. for that price. There are also the ones that will tell you that they honestly don't have the budget for it, but will tell you that it will be in the budget for X quarter/year/whatever, which you can work with. The ones who will tell me that they can't afford it, but wont tell you what they can spend are 50/50 on just wanting you to lower the price or truthfully cannot afford it.

I work in an industry with well known discounting levels, so when I have people tell me they can get it for less than my costs (and I am typically at the highest discounting levels), I always laugh and tell them to go ahead and buy from that other company. ~80% of the time, I still will get the deal, the other 20% they think they are proving a point by not giving me the business. Either way, I don't care.
You need to trust someone on a BMW forum to be sophisticated enough to run their business optimally. I also will gladly get up at 2:00 AM to fix something, but if I'm dealing with a problem that someone else fucked up, I'm raising my price 50% to deal with the hassle and liability.

The real question is how to deal with a price objection when the prospect is clearly being a retard. Such as if they have a serious problem in their house and they're trying to knock your price down for the sake of winning a negotiation. From my experience, these folks will always go with a fly-by-night that hoses them, and they come back afterwards to fix it, only to be told that a total redo is needed and the price is now 50% higher than my last quote.

Chances are, I'm not getting the job in either scenario. And this isn't my targeted demographic anyway so I'm not too worried about Maslow issues. How do you get these retards to fork it over in the first place, so they get the job done right the first time? At a base level, they have a problem for which they need to be made whole, but they're too stupid to do the right thing for themselves. And these people typically have money.

Who knows, maybe these folks just present too much liability to be worth the time?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Like they say: If you are playing poker, and you can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.
      11-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
pacman.defense
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 330i

sometimes u dont need something such level of service, so you shouldnt pay unnecessarily higher prices that produce the same result. for example, for a small business owner, i can quote that prospective client $300 a month for very detailed bookkeeping services, or i can quote that $100 a month if they keep all nonbusiness activity off their corporate books. if they were ever audited, the end result is that all the activity can be verified, and the level of detail in the bookkeeping does not matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #19
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
It depends on what you are selling. Services are one thing you get what you pay for, but if I'm just trying to buy a specific model TV for instance, I'm damn sure going to the place I can get it for the cheapest/least hassle. Why pay more if you don't have to?
      11-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt View Post
You need to trust someone on a BMW forum to be sophisticated enough to run their business optimally. I also will gladly get up at 2:00 AM to fix something, but if I'm dealing with a problem that someone else fucked up, I'm raising my price 50% to deal with the hassle and liability.

The real question is how to deal with a price objection when the prospect is clearly being a retard. Such as if they have a serious problem in their house and they're trying to knock your price down for the sake of winning a negotiation. From my experience, these folks will always go with a fly-by-night that hoses them, and they come back afterwards to fix it, only to be told that a total redo is needed and the price is now 50% higher than my last quote.

Chances are, I'm not getting the job in either scenario. And this isn't my targeted demographic anyway so I'm not too worried about Maslow issues. How do you get these retards to fork it over in the first place, so they get the job done right the first time? At a base level, they have a problem for which they need to be made whole, but they're too stupid to do the right thing for themselves. And these people typically have money.

Who knows, maybe these folks just present too much liability to be worth the time?
Personally, if I know that they are just going to be a giant pain the ass the whole time I would (potentially) be dealing with them, I would inflate my prices so that they will either go with somebody else, or I can make some "hassle money" so to speak. These are the people in my line of work, that will always find a way to show you that you did it wrong; and i really don't care enough about them to put up with it. I have enough other customers that don't put me though bullshit that I can still eat. If you really need the business, then you will have to adjust you prices accordingly and deal with their bullshit that comes alone with it. If you don't need the business, basically tell them to piss up a rope, let them get a sub-par result and hope that you get the chance to show them how things were supposed to be done in the first place; for more money, obviously.

TLDR; if you need the money, deal with it and lower prices. Don't need it, tell them to piss up a rope and raise prices.
Appreciate 0