BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

12-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #243
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
My money would be on the Audi. If I assume power to weight is close, then the Audi has better torque to weight, and with that very broad curve, will have the power to weight advantage after each shift, even with the slightly closer ratios in the BMW.

The BMW has a more efficient and "better" gearbox (I assume it will shift more quickly than the Audi), but assuming Audi will allow pre-loading off the line (and they will), the RS6 will launch like a ball bearing out of a slingshot, leaving the M5 for dead.

At speed, it'll be closer, I think. I'd still give the Audi the nod, though. Way up there into triple digits, power over net frontal area gets more important than power to weight, and the Audi will get the nod there as well.

Bruce

PS - I have no axe to grind, here. I don't give a damn about either of the companies, nor any other auto manufacturer, for that matter.

On second thought, that may not be correct. I'm actually pretty much a badge whore for all of them. Right now, for instance, I'm pretty excited about what Hyundai is doing, and watching everybody else sweat.

Who said promiscuity is wrong?
Bruce,

Your thoughts are identical to mine, only it's more a feeling from me, the belief that more power and torque will always rule over finesse when it comes to acceleration, lets face up a dragster will always win at the lights but fall off the road at the first corner. That's not to say that the RS6 will be a disaster in the twisties but you get my point.

I agree that as the speed increases the M5 will stop the gap growing but I also feel that it won't shrink it either.

As for the Hyundai thing, I reckon you are talking about the new Coupe which does look amazing and when you consider it's going to be mated to a rwd chassis the car will stir up the competition and that includes the likes of BMW as well as the Japanese brands.
Appreciate 0