BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

09-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #45
Malarky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Don't be stupid.. Get the M3.

My cousin has an RS4 and has had nothing but problems... Not to mention it seems underpowered. I roast him with my E90.

-Carl
      09-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #46
Overdraft
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F33 x drive

I own both - a 2007 RS4 and a 2008 M3 Cab. If the two are in the laneway and I have a choice on a cloudy day (where the convertible won't sway my decision) I will pick the RS 4 everytime - its simply more fun to drive in my opinion. Being in Portland, you get some snow in the winter so slap some snow tires on it an have a blast all year round. M3 is a great car don't get me wrong - I just prefer the RS4...
2018 Porsche GT3 Touring
2021 Porsche Targa 4S
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #47
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFPDX View Post
I know I'm in a BMW forum but I will ask it anyway.

I'm going to be buying a used RS4 if I can find one with low miles, or a E90 M3, in a couple months. It will be a second car and not driven daily. Looking for some input on both cars if someone here has driven both.

Thanks
screw the Rs4 get the m3 looks better and performs million times better
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #48
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
screw the Rs4 get the m3 looks better and performs million times better
LMAO Bobbyd . . . you are a master of unsupported overstatement.
      09-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #49
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvd.kevin View Post
I have an E90 M3 6spd. This past weekend, I have been wander around test driving RS4. Taking into consideration that this vehicle will be your second car. I suggest E90 M3. This is why...

HP/Torque: Setting aside 0-60 times and black and white specs. In real life, both cars can attain tripple digits speed effortlessly. Which means that both can land you in jail at about the same time. So, power? Plenty to get you a date with local law enforcements. M3 = RS4

Driving Enjoyment: The M3 is a tighter, more responsive car. The steering feedback is precise, firm, very controlled. The RS4 feels a bit more loose and easy. However, driving the RS4 feels like you're driving on velcro. I thought my M3 grips the road well, WOW, the RS4 is even better. Quattro, what do you expects?
The M3 requires you to drive it. Definitely not a fun car if you simply commute in it. Though it can be use as a daily driver, I think the RS4 is much easier to live with as a daily driver, but it's not as fun as a M3. RS4 is a better DD because the 6spd is AMAZING. You simply have to test drive it to see what I'm talking about. M3 6spd is good, but RS4 is great. RS4 seems to be quieter and more comfortable than my M3. I didn't like the seats on the RS4 because they are wide and the side bolsters are not adjustable. M3 side bolsters can be adjusted to fit you body. M3 seats seem to be design for more spirited driving. I also didn't like the skinny steering wheel in the RS4. I like the thickness of the M3 steering wheel.

M3 - fun, but demands the driver to be involve
RS4 - user friendly, can be fun, but not like the kind of fun the M3 can provides

Just my 2cents. All the reviews in the world can't match the feeling you'll get when you drive the car. ONLY then will you know which ones fits you best. Good luck. Every driver is different. You just have to find out which kind of driver you are.
Thank you for the great response. I agree 100% with your analysis.

I own a B7 RS4 and have driven the e92 M3 on several occasions (my colleague and the dealership). To start off, I want to say that I have always loved driving bmws. I loved the e46 M3 as well as my previous car...e46 330 ZHP coupe with manual tranny.

I ended up getting the RS4 for several reasons:
1. Exclusivity. In my neighborhood alone, there are 4 M3s that I know of (3 e92s and one e90). In my city and county, there are M3s all over the place. Some my argue that that's a good thing because they are fantastic cars and everybody wants one. That may be true...BUT I still love the fact that RS4s are rarer. I think Audi built less than 1300 of them for both Canada and the US (don't quote me on that ).

2. Wider torque band and better lower end torque. I am not pretending to be a self-proclaimed "expert" on cars as many of you are, but I just feel that the RS4 can take off from any gear that you are in at any speed. You can be going 40 mph in 4th gear...and the car will still take off. You can turn into corners without downshifting and the RS4 can fly out of the corners. Again, this is just my experience. The M3 is torque band doesn't seem as wide. But again, some will argue that that is a good thing b/c it gives you a more "engaging" driving experience; ie, you have to work harder to make sure you are in the "correct" gear.

3. Looks. I know. I know. This is totally subjective. I wanted a saloon, so I had to decide b/t the e90 M3 or the B7 RS4. I just wasn't feeling the looks of the e90 M3. It doesn't look too different from the e90 335. I just loved the wide fenders and wide dual exhaust tips on the RS4. From a far, non-car enthusiasts may not appreciate the racing heritage of the RS4, but up close and personal, the RS4 does look menacing. She may look like an angel on the outside, BUT she is all devil on the inside!

Again, I love BMWs. I wouldn't be surprised if I go back to one in the future.I appreciate and marvel at both the M3 and RS4. I just don't understand how true car enthusiasts could truly bash either car...in terms of their performance. Both of these cars would spank most cars out there in their price group. But for now, I am loving my RS4.

PS. I do agree with two comments made earlier:
1. Steering "fee" and feedback is definitely better with the M3. The steering feel of the RS4 almost feel too assisted.
2. Exhaust note. From the outside, the RS4 exhaust note sounds beautiful and very aggressive (especially when engaging the "S" mode). From the inside cabin, the M3 exhaust note comes through much better...better growl from inside the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #50
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your choice and rationale. The RS4 is a stunning performer and beautiful car. I loved my RS4, and the cumulative difference between the two cars is essentially a coin-toss in my opinion. Each has its stronger points.

As I've said before, the only reason I went M3 was for the E93, because I really wanted the hard-top convertible. Otherwise, I'd still be in the RS4. Enjoy . . .
      09-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #51
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

RS4's are not in the current M3 league. Its more like a 335xi competition and about the same in performance. They look nice thats about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #52
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
I just wasn't feeling the looks of the e90 M3. It doesn't look too different from the e90 335. I just loved the wide fenders and wide dual exhaust tips on the RS4. .
Congrats on your purchase. RS4 is indeed a great car.

However, I find your comment very strange since the other day I saw an RS4 (blue metallic) in front of me and a grey A4 2.0T with wide 19 inch aftermarket wheels and aside from the slight fender flares at the lights, I could not figure out a single difference between the two cars. They both had dual exhausts, but the RS4 were oval rather than round. I wish I would have taken a picture.

The E90 M3 is A LOT different than a 335 sedan since they do not even have the same front end. It is almost impossible to miss the huge power bulge, big fender flare, quad exhausts, side gills and the lower valence of the rear bumper in the E90 M3 is completely different from an E90 335.

In short, if you think the E90 M3 does not look much different than a 335, you were most likely looking at two 335 since it is very far from the truth.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #53
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
RS4's are not in the current M3 league. Its more like a 335xi competition and about the same in performance. They look nice thats about it.
Well, you're dead wrong with regard to just about everything you said above, and you should take a little time to look at the specs on both. Among other things, the 335xi is missing 120 horses. It sounds to me that you may be confused with the S4, which is missing an "R".

They are absolutely in the same class, but in terms of absolute performance parameters, the M3 does have a very slight edge.
      09-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #54
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
They are absolutely in the same class, but in terms of absolute performance parameters, the M3 does have a very slight edge.
I will have to agree with Jon since that is what the Chief Testing Engineer of M3 claimed at launch time. It was "If our car was not substantially faster than the RS4, we would not be launching this car".

Though, they are in the same league. Logically, RS4 was supposed to better the E46 M3 while the E90 M3 was created to be superior to the RS4 B7.

In a straight line or around a dry race track, M3 does have a substantial advantage and not a slight one. Over 100 mph, the cars are several car lengths apart. RS4 carries its extra 300 lbs weight well due to shorter 1st and 2nd gearing and AWD in 0-60 runs, but the M3 pulls a lot harder over 100 mph.

Around a race track, the M3 6 speed has a best laptime of 8:05 vs 8:10.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #55
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
I will have to agree with Jon since that is what the Chief Testing Engineer of M3 claimed at launch time. It was "If our car was not substantially faster than the RS4, we would not be launching this car".

Though, they are in the same league. M3 does have a substantial advantage and not a slight one. Over 100 mph, the cars are several car lengths apart. RS4 carries its extra 300 lbs weight well due to shorter 1st and 2nd gearing and AWD in 0-60 runs, but the M3 pulls a lot harder over 100 mph.

Around a race track, the M3 6 speed has a best laptime of 8:05 vs 8:12.
It sounds like you don't agree with Jon, since he said they clearly were not in the same class. I guess it depends upon your definition of "slight."

I am aware that the M3 has somewhat better numbers, as I said. But, those are also variable depending upon track and conditions. Which track are you quoting those numbers from?

I don't put much weight on what the BMW Chief Testing Engineer says. I suppose I could find a similar quote from the Audi Chief Testing Engineer, which I wouldn't put much weight upon either.

Do you agree with Jon on the 335xi comment? I am brand-agnostic, and I get annoyed at the biased "fan-boy" comments on various websites, with BMW ones being among the worst.
      09-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #56
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Do you agree with Jon on the 335xi comment?
I think my comment about Edmunds in the other thread speaks for itself:

Quote:
Even after that, I have high doubts about them not being biased when they claim the 335 beat the RS4 times. That is completely bullsh*t since a properly driven RS4 should destroy the stock 335 by a good margin whether it is straight line or around a race track.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #57
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think my comment about Edmunds in the other thread speaks for itself:
Yep, there is no way 300 lbs. lighter (if that) trumps an extra 120hp, and the Quattro system in the RS4 (rear-biased) is far superior to that found in the 335xi. People who believe what they read (especially in car mags) are rather foolish.
      09-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #58
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yep, there is no way 300 lbs. lighter (if that) trumps an extra 120hp, and the Quattro system in the RS4 (rear-biased) is far superior to that found in the 335xi. People who believe what they read (especially in car mags) are rather foolish.
Agreed.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #59
tunawi7cheese
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Power by dead dinosaurs

wow, did the OP ever decide on a car?

how did a 335i get into this conversation?

everything comes down to this...OP SATISFACTION WITH HIS/HER PURCHASED! The end.

Melborne Red 08' E90 M3 6spd
Hockenheim Silver 20' F87 M2 CS MDCT
White 21' Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #60
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Well, you're dead wrong with regard to just about everything you said above, and you should take a little time to look at the specs on both. Among other things, the 335xi is missing 120 horses. It sounds to me that you may be confused with the S4, which is missing an "R".

I got it right the first time thanks... 335xi = RS4 no matter what.. and that extra 120hp lol .... anyway no time to argue.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #61
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I got it right the first time thanks... 335xi = RS4 no matter what.. and that extra 120hp lol .... anyway no time to argue.
Yeah...keep believing that. I know I am a newbie here, but I have been on e46 fanatics for many years. That statement that you made is just outright ridiculous I am even sure that most bmw owners would disagree with that statement.That's almost like saying the e92 335 is like the e92 M3 with just 120 less BHP. I agree that there is a lot more to cars than just BHP...and that is why the RS4 in a whole different league/level than the 335xi... and that the e92 M3 is in a different league than the e92 335. I am actually upset at myself for even getting into this useless debate.

But hey, if that makes you feel better about your purchase, then keep believing that.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #62
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Agreed.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #63
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase. RS4 is indeed a great car.

However, I find your comment very strange since the other day I saw an RS4 (blue metallic) in front of me and a grey A4 2.0T with wide 19 inch aftermarket wheels and aside from the slight fender flares at the lights, I could not figure out a single difference between the two cars. They both had dual exhausts, but the RS4 were oval rather than round. I wish I would have taken a picture.

The E90 M3 is A LOT different than a 335 sedan since they do not even have the same front end. It is almost impossible to miss the huge power bulge, big fender flare, quad exhausts, side gills and the lower valence of the rear bumper in the E90 M3 is completely different from an E90 335.

In short, if you think the E90 M3 does not look much different than a 335, you were most likely looking at two 335 since it is very far from the truth.
Yeah. In retrospect, I agree that you won't mistaken the e92 M3 for the e92 335. But on that note...for you as an enthusiast not to notice the difference between the A4 2.0 and the RS4...wow! From the rear, the RS4 fenders are VERY noticeable with A LOT more bulge than the A4. The oval dual exhaust tips are much bigger than the round tiny A4 exhaust tips. You should've also noticed the integrated rear spoiler from behind as well as the larger rear diffuser. In fact, if I am not mistaken, the only body panels that the RS4 shares with the A4s and S4s are the door panels.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #64
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keep smoking what you're smoking, if that is the reality you prefer. A professional driver in a Mustang GT could easily beat an average driver in an Enzo.

Last edited by foosh; 09-22-2009 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #65
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep

I feel like I am "blood" (Audi owner) in a pool full of sharks (BMW owners)!

But hey, I expected that coming on here. Again, I am here as a car enthusiast...and not here trying to say that Audis(RS4s) are better than BMWs (M3s). This is actually my first Audi ever, and I have owned 3 bmws prior.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #66
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
Yeah. In retrospect, I agree that you won't mistaken the e92 M3 for the e92 335. But on that note...for you as an enthusiast not to notice the difference between the A4 2.0 and the RS4...wow! From the rear, the RS4 fenders are VERY noticeable with A LOT more bulge than the A4. The oval dual exhaust tips are much bigger than the round tiny A4 exhaust tips. You should've also noticed the integrated rear spoiler from behind as well as the larger rear diffuser. In fact, if I am not mistaken, the only body panels that the RS4 shares with the A4s and S4s are the door panels.
Correct, but they also share the roof skin. RS4-exclusive panels are custom fabricated in the Audi GmbH plant, where the RS cars are built in an entirely different plant than any other Audi.

Traditionally, GmbH only builds one model at a time, and they are largely hand-built, which helps explain the less than 1500 RS4s that were available in the North American market over the 07-08 model years.