BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
myicedm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5m Donington Grey

Garage List
New Car, How to maintain?

Hey guys, so I finally leased a 2012 Alpine White M3 Competition Coupe. Wondering whats the best way to maintain the car. I've had the car 5 days now and I've noticed some smog like dustiness all over the car. Any way to get rid of this besides washing?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Wash it... Trying a quick spray and microfiber towel is fine on smaller areas, but if the whole car is covered with stuff it's easier to just wash it.

You need to wash it properly though. A few searches around here and you'll find some good sites that can show you the details of a two bucket wash method. Good luck!
      01-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
myicedm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yea i saw some posts about it, but im really worried about not having enough water and winding up scratching the clearcoat but rubbing in dirt/grime. is it better to just go to a nice hand wash place and have them do an initial wash/polish/wax?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
myicedm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
im guessing new cars dont have any coats of wax on the car? should i wax myself or take it to a car wash, or do a full winter detail prep. the car really isnt dirty, just light dust all over from driving. too cold to wash myself here in NYC as its 32-37 deg right now. ive just been cleaning the brake dust off the wheels so far
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Well if it's dirty then wash it or have it washed. Just such an odd thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
myicedm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
my question was more of HOW to maintain, not IF i should... lol

I dunno how it got turned around. Obviously I will wash it, but wondering if theres any tips/tricks/advice/how-to-best go forward on a brand new car for winter & everything else thereafter
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
E90_SG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09E90

the best way is to obviously wash and wax the car. if you can't, try a detailing spray with some microfiber towels. BUT, you must dust the car off completely first with a California duster for example before wiping it down with a detailer spray. otherwise, you'll just be damaging your paint with a ll the grit.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_I_K_E View Post
the best way is to obviously wash and wax the car. if you can't, try a detailing spray with some microfiber towels. BUT, you must dust the car off completely first with a California duster for example before wiping it down with a detailer spray. otherwise, you'll just be damaging your paint with a ll the grit.
I'm pretty sure California dusters are known to scratch your paint
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Hmmm...I have friends who swear by them. I think anything can scratch the paint when you think about it. Hard to have contact with something and it magically pull away the dirt without some sort of friction.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
E90_SG
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
ummmm...unless you know how to use a California duster the right way. as in the duster lightly touching the paint as you go through the car in one direction. the duster has a bad rep due to people not knowing how to use it properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
ummmm...unless you know how to use a California duster the right way. as in the duster lightly touching the paint as you go through the car in one direction. the duster has a bad rep due to people not knowing how to use it properly.
back when i first got into detailing i wanted to know how to maintain my car w/out washing it since dust settled so easy. after searching i found out about qd's and the california duster. i think like tech said anything can cause scratches but i dont think the duster is the go to item for a professional detailer. hopefully one of them will chime in
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
myicedm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've had the same deliberations about the cali duster. I thought maybe on a car worth 30k, its useful and works well. But on a $80k m3, i'd prefer to minimize swirls marks in the clear coat. I like to drive a very very clean car, and wanted something to touch the car up with between washes.

im wondering if just a wash spraydown without soap would do the trick. (just bc its 25 here in NYC today)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myicedm3 View Post
I've had the same deliberations about the cali duster. I thought maybe on a car worth 30k, its useful and works well. But on a $80k m3, i'd prefer to minimize swirls marks in the clear coat. I like to drive a very very clean car, and wanted something to touch the car up with between washes.

im wondering if just a wash spraydown without soap would do the trick. (just bc its 25 here in NYC today)
Ummm paint is paint whether it is on a Honda or your M3. If you wanna keep it nice, the tools are the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Ummm paint is paint whether it is on a Honda or your M3. If you wanna keep it nice, the tools are the same.
well said!

ferrari or honda, you get the same treatment (If paid for obviously - its just more worth it to spend 1500+ on a full correction after 2 years of neglect on a Fcar compared to a honda)

OP, you need to wash it, clay it, polish it, seal it (or coat it for better protection) and then get on a solid routine to maintain it! Here is what I recommend

wash weekly
wax bi monthly, strip and seal every 6 months
polish every six month
clay every six months
protect the interior every month

claying and polishing go hand in hand, same with sealing! Anytime you want to do those things, its smart to use a protection stripping wash solution to break down the waxes on top. Then you clay the whole car, then polish it. Then clean the paint and lay on a coat or two of a sealant wax. Then either next month, or next wash, whenever you want, throw on a coat of wax.

I have some clients I maintain their cars with that same regimen and their cars ALWAYS look good!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:34 AM   #15
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by myicedm3 View Post
my question was more of HOW to maintain, not IF i should... lol

I dunno how it got turned around. Obviously I will wash it, but wondering if theres any tips/tricks/advice/how-to-best go forward on a brand new car for winter & everything else thereafter
here is some food for thought....

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/pinnacle.html
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #16
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Anything that touches the car and rubs against it (no matter how light it is) will cause some sort of friction and some light marring. I don't care if it's a california duster or a microfiber towel.

Any DRY item rubbing it will cause more marring than something lubricated with a shampoo and water (which also slightly lifts the dirt and dust off of the surface of the paint). This is just science.

I have a california duster and I do use it, and yes it causes some light marring that is barely noticeable, but it DOES do it. No matter how "lightly" you dust the car, it causes a few small marks. Saying it doesn't at all if you know how to use it is slightly misguided.

There is no magic item out there that will not mark up the car when you rub it against the paint when the car is dry and you're not washing it. Even when you wash it by hand, you're going to put some swirls in the paint (depending on your experience it might be a lot less than others). In order to truly remove the swirls and small scratches, the car needs the proper detail done and must be clayed, polished, and then sealed/waxed.

Anything done to the top level of the car after that has a chance to add swirls and marks.

@ OP, if you don't mind some minor swirls that you probably won't see (unless you look up close in direct sunlight), then just use a QD spray and microfiber towel or a California duster. Don't apply a ton of pressure, just enough to get rid of the dust. I recommend the full treatment though. Use the two bucket wash method with two different wash mitts, grit guards at the bottoms of the buckets, etc... You'll get a very good wash and you'll have very little marring of the paint. Then you can procede to clay/polish/wax.
      01-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techguy111 View Post
Run itit through the mobile wash after gassinga up. Im tech guy. I get a brazilian so dudes love me down there!
WHAAAAATTTTTTTTT.................
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
WHAAAAATTTTTTTTT.................
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

hand wash regularly and detail it every so often or take it to a reputable detailing shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
E90_SG
Enlisted Member
Rep

I completely agree that any pressure while the car is dusty/dirty will cause scratches. But my responses are based on the OP's situation and question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Anything that touches the car and rubs against it (no matter how light it is) will cause some sort of friction and some light marring. I don't care if it's a california duster or a microfiber towel.

Any DRY item rubbing it will cause more marring than something lubricated with a shampoo and water (which also slightly lifts the dirt and dust off of the surface of the paint). This is just science.

I have a california duster and I do use it, and yes it causes some light marring that is barely noticeable, but it DOES do it. No matter how "lightly" you dust the car, it causes a few small marks. Saying it doesn't at all if you know how to use it is slightly misguided.

There is no magic item out there that will not mark up the car when you rub it against the paint when the car is dry and you're not washing it. Even when you wash it by hand, you're going to put some swirls in the paint (depending on your experience it might be a lot less than others). In order to truly remove the swirls and small scratches, the car needs the proper detail done and must be clayed, polished, and then sealed/waxed.

Anything done to the top level of the car after that has a chance to add swirls and marks.

@ OP, if you don't mind some minor swirls that you probably won't see (unless you look up close in direct sunlight), then just use a QD spray and microfiber towel or a California duster. Don't apply a ton of pressure, just enough to get rid of the dust. I recommend the full treatment though. Use the two bucket wash method with two different wash mitts, grit guards at the bottoms of the buckets, etc... You'll get a very good wash and you'll have very little marring of the paint. Then you can procede to clay/polish/wax.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I completely agree that any pressure while the car is dusty/dirty will cause scratches. But my responses are based on the OP's situation and question.
Yea, but if he's going to wash it the California duster isn't necessary. He should just wash it. The soap/water will lubricate the car enough and lift the dustiness from the paint enough that he can safely use a wash mitt to wash it. The duster just adds an unnecessary step IMO, although for small areas of light dust in between washes they are just fine.
      01-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #22
myicedm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
fantastic advice! thanks OPS & Templar

I think im gonna just do the washes like you said and use quick detail spray + microfiber cloth for the small areas that collect dust; most notably the rear lip spoiler, and bumper.

ill post a pic later of the dust issue im talking about
Appreciate 0