BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

02-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Swirl Marks on Leather Seats

I had a couple of boxes in my back seat last week and when I took them out noticed the leather was a bit dirty. So I used Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner to wipe it down.

I just put a little of the cleaner on a microfiber towel, wiped it down and then went on my way. I noticed this morning that you could still see the swirls and areas where I rubbed the cleaner on, which was like 3 days ago. I didn’t oversaturate it or anything, just a small amount and only on the spots that were dirty.

Any recommendations on how to remove the swirls and existing “wet looking” spots? Thanks,
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
chd2
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

Have you tried a little water on a cloth? Usually works for me. I go over it after with a light amount of the conditioner.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Funny, that is probably all I should've done from the git go, but I haven't used the Chemical Guys leather conditioner yet so figuered what the heck. I'll go wipe it down with water now, hopefully it goes away.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

No dice on the water, I'm a little nervous the leather is somewhat discolored where I wiped it down. It's black leather for what it's worth.

Any ideas? I mean should I just go over the whole thing again with teh leather conditioner, only this time a bit more diligently?

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

maybe use some leatherique, not the oil the cleaner, i think its called pristine clean, once i put a bit of mcguirs on the arm rest and i took it out with the leatherique cleanser.
      02-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
maybe use some leatherique, not the oil the cleaner, i think its called pristine clean, once i put a bit of mcguirs on the arm rest and i took it out with the leatherique cleanser.
Yeah, I've been doing some searching here since I posted this, and seems like a bunch of guys like the Leatherique. i don't think what I did is too bad, so when I get home tonight I'm going to try with teh CG Leather Cleaner again and if it doesn't work I might look into getting some leatherique.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

You did not apply it evenly. That happens when you apply more product to one area versus another. Of course you can see it on black

Try to evenly go over the seats with a product that leaves a matte finish, no shine. You will not have this problem with a product like this...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
You did not apply it evenly. That happens when you apply more product to one area versus another. Of course you can see it on black

Try to evenly go over the seats with a product that leaves a matte finish, no shine. You will not have this problem with a product like this...
You're right. I just rushed it the first time, spent more time on it yesterday. I'm pissed though, cause I noticed 2 small (but still noticeable) scratches on the leather when I had the boxes back there

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
chd2
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

Yeah I know what you mean, I somehow nicked my carbon leather trim on the door...irritates the hell out of me
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Never use anything stronger than just a conditioner on new leather. And also never set anything heavy on your leather seats without some thick cushioning, but I guess you learned that lesson already . Hey, don't feel bad; that's a lot cheaper lesson than not driving your M3 in a light snow with stock tires (it was a freak storm, not on purpose; wish I knew tires were that bad and would have just turned around).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Never use anything stronger than just a conditioner on new leather. And also never set anything heavy on your leather seats without some thick cushioning, but I guess you learned that lesson already . Hey, don't feel bad; that's a lot cheaper lesson than not driving your M3 in a light snow with stock tires (it was a freak storm, not on purpose; wish I knew tires were that bad and would have just turned around).
Yeah, I should've put down a towel. It was the boxes with my new HRE wheels. They came to my work so I didn't have a towel plus I was so excited to get them on I just rushed out. The scratches aren't bad at all, but for us anal m3poster types, they are killing me

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
Yeah, I should've put down a towel. It was the boxes with my new HRE wheels. They came to my work so I didn't have a towel plus I was so excited to get them on I just rushed out. The scratches aren't bad at all, but for us anal m3poster types, they are killing me
Why didn't you just fold the seats down?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

One would think that in a rationale state of mind, but after waiting close to 8 weeks for my HRE's to arrive, I was happier than a pig in shit and just rushed out the door. I was smart enough however to have a friend with a truck help me on the way back so I could put my OEM 19"s back in the boxes the HRE's came in.

Appreciate 0