BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #45
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
Sorry, I never tracked my car so I can't speak for the guys who did have problems. Here's a picture of what happened. It looks like the rotor hats are basically falling apart and Stoptech didn't cover it saying it's a wear item

ive seen a brembo rotor look the same... in person...

a brake rotor is a extremely punished piece of equipment...

there will always be failure no matter what company or what case.. physics always wins....

that rotor also could have been over torqued....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #46
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
That is good news. Hopefully they will fit the OEM 18's as well.
they will.. i talked to them about this kit...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #47
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

I had a set on my previous Audi with both street and track pads, and I absolutely loved them. When I get around to that mod on my M I will certainly opt for them over the Brembos.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #48
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I wonder if anyone will come out with a caliper kit and bracket that will work with our stock rotors? Aren't the stock rotors 345mm? That's probably the reason Brembo had to go 380mm since the stock units are pretty big.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #49
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I see there are a couple of new ST BBK threads in the sponsor area. WOW! Sponsors really do respond to our needs! Good job!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #50
Gary_C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Anything with Brembo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
ive seen a brembo rotor look the same... in person...

a brake rotor is a extremely punished piece of equipment...

there will always be failure no matter what company or what case.. physics always wins....

that rotor also could have been over torqued....
FWIW I have over 8 years experience with the Brembo, with both High Performance and Racing division products, and I have NEVER seen this type of failure with a Brembo made part. I personally would like to encourage anyone who claims that they have seen this happen to a Brembo made product to post pictures or any other real world example, and I will personally and openly eat my own words.

Physics are a predictable science and the combination of engineering, raw materials, physical design, and manufacturing processes for the Brembo systems simply do not allow for this type of failure. PERIOD

Also Kingleh, if you closely examine the hardware in your StopTech kit I'm sure you'll be able to recognize the reasons that over torquing is not a plausible cause for that type of failure either. It's not my place to address real possible causes of such a failure since it is not a Brembo product, I just wanted to let people know that this is not a common phenomenon with brakes in general, and definitely NOT a concern for Brembo.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #51
Gary_C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Anything with Brembo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, how many variations of calipers with piston diameters does Brembo have?
In the High Performance division alone we employ more than 15 different caliper styles. This includes 2, 4, 6, and 8-piston models, in both 2pc. and monobloc construction. The majority of these calipers are manufactured with multiple piston combination's and pad designs for use with multiple disc diameters and thicknesses. There's just too many options to list ever single item.

But just for reference:

The 6-piston monobloc alone has a minimum of 8 variations that I can think of off the top of my head.
(and No, this does not include different color options )
This caliper is available for use in both front or rear brake systems and must have a wide variety of piston combination's to offer functional performance advantages while maintaining optimum bias.

Each of the calipers introduced into the High Performance program since the original "F50" and "Lotus" style calipers were developed with the same philosophy for a wide range of use between multiple applications by being made available with multiple piston combination's.

Last edited by Gary_C; 12-17-2008 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #52
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
It is kind of odd because Stop Techs seemed to be just as popular on E46s. Brembo is beating Stop Tech to the punch. I'm surprised the Turner E90 M3 doesn't have the Stop Techs on yet.

Bob@BPS has done most of the research here regarding 18" wheels and Brembo's. I think he contacted the wheel manufacturers directly. The stoptechs might not fit under any 18's because the calipers look a little bulkier than the Brembo's.
I believe the Stoptech caliper is on the smaller side when compared to the Brembos.
Appreciate 0