BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0.0

Umnitza V4 and other tweaks

Hello fellow enthusiasts, just wanted to share my newly done headlights thanks to Caesar and crew at Lightwerkz. Caesar is a great guy to deal with and updated me every step of the way, thats awesome customer service right there.

I had the AEs upgraded to Umnitza V4s, I know some guys prefer the V2s because they come out better in pictures for the point and shoot people but if you know what your doing then V4s come out just as good but much better looking in person IMHO. Plus, Lightwerkz deletes that ugly crossbar on the outer ring which really cleans up the look.

DSC00549 by idskyline, on Flickr

The housing and turn signal is painted gloss black but the projectors and corner lights left oem chrome. I just think the chrome looks good on white.

DSC00552 by idskyline, on Flickr

The projector itself was upgraded with ZKW clear lenses, Osram CBI bulbs, and some magic by Caesar which got me this amazing distance, cutoff and output. Plus that nice blue/purple hue. S2000s and BRZs get visible HID cutoffs... I was surprised and annoyed that BMW doesnt.

DSC00539 by idskyline, on Flickr

Yup I am very happy with their work and glad I got it done. And its something you can enjoy while driving at night too because I really really love the new HID cutoff.

10-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
WOW! That output and cutoff is VASTLY better than stock.

Caesar rebuilt the headlights on my E46 M3 with a FXR 3.0 Retrofit. His work way superseded my expectations. My biggest worry when doing the retrofit was the risk of fogging or condensation within the headlight assembly, like I've seen on other headlight retrofits. This was by no mean a risk with Caesar. After a heavy winter season, countless rain storms, and infinite amount of heavy car washes, not once has it showed any sign of condensation.

The only reason Caesar hasn't put his hands on my E90 M3 headlights is because I'm too indecisive on how I want him to paint the headlights...stock look? full blacked out? partial black out like yours? LOL

Awesome review. Great work Lightwerkz.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Thanks for the review David!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Looks good David
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
MWM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

uber dopeness
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
r3zon8
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 AW

+1 nice work!

Thats one clean M..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
jra85
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Looks great, I'm considering doing this mod once my Lux 5500K halos die out (great product for a direct bulb swap though).

I was reading up on the Orion halos on Lightwerkz's site. How does the "Night Controller" mode work? Does it dim the halos automatically or do you need to manually dim them somehow?

Also, it looks like the inner halos for the cornering lights do not have their LEDs spaced as closely together as the outer rings. It almost looks like the spacing from the v2 halos. How noticeable is the difference in person; is there any visible segmenting? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Could you post an up close picture of what the top of the outer ring looks like please? Where there are no LEDs.
      10-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Could you post an up close picture of what the top of the outer ring looks like please? Where there are no LEDs.
I didnt get any close ups of the OP's job, but here are some from our last conversion

You can see the full gallery here:
http://www.lightwerkz.net/photo/makemodel/bmw/e92/
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
Looks great, I'm considering doing this mod once my Lux 5500K halos die out (great product for a direct bulb swap though).

I was reading up on the Orion halos on Lightwerkz's site. How does the "Night Controller" mode work? Does it dim the halos automatically or do you need to manually dim them somehow?

Also, it looks like the inner halos for the cornering lights do not have their LEDs spaced as closely together as the outer rings. It almost looks like the spacing from the v2 halos. How noticeable is the difference in person; is there any visible segmenting? Thanks!
Lux is great for a PNP upgrade

You can wire it in so it dims when the headlights come on, but so far we havent had any requests for this option.

The inner angel eyes are just as tightly spaced. However, up top where the wiring feeds out, there is a gap which is visible.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
Monaco
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS/911R

very cool upgrade
i remember lightwerks back in the E46 M3Forum days, I almost went with the upgrade with the FX/TSX projectors on my E46 through lightwerks but seeing I wasn't going to keep the car much longer, I didnt pull the trigger. Shame as Ill be out of the E92 soon, same story

but very good stuff nontheless
      10-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post

Not sure about this night controller thing but the AEs dim a bit when the headlights are on. turn it off and the AEs are at max brightness again.

Yeah, like Lightwerkz said the spacing is the same and theres no noticeable difference in output/brightness in person. Even that little dead space on the very top of the cornering light AE is barely noticeable when on.

And thank you to the rest of you guys.
      10-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallx View Post

I had the AEs upgraded to Umnitza V4s, I know some guys prefer the V2s because they come out better in pictures for the point and shoot people but if you know what your doing then V4s come out just as good but much better looking in person IMHO. Plus, Lightwerkz deletes that ugly crossbar on the outer ring which really cleans up the look.
Did you use a point-and-shoot in the photos you posted? Because they look too blurry in those photos, IMO. It's a big to-each-his-own kind of thing, but I opted to go with v2 on my OSS specifically because I could not find a single photo of the v4 that did not look blurry and "over-bright," in my opinion. But either way, it's a definite upgrade over stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Did you use a point-and-shoot in the photos you posted? Because they look too blurry in those photos, IMO. It's a big to-each-his-own kind of thing, but I opted to go with v2 on my OSS specifically because I could not find a single photo of the v4 that did not look blurry and "over-bright," in my opinion. But either way, it's a definite upgrade over stock.
Most of the photos are from Lightwerkz, only the first 3 pics are mine.
      10-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINHEAD View Post
very cool upgrade
i remember lightwerks back in the E46 M3Forum days, I almost went with the upgrade with the FX/TSX projectors on my E46 through lightwerks but seeing I wasn't going to keep the car much longer, I didnt pull the trigger. Shame as Ill be out of the E92 soon, same story

but very good stuff nontheless
Lightwerkz did my 350Z lights back in '08! They are still going strong on a buddy's car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
I didnt get any close ups of the OP's job, but here are some from our last conversion
Thanks for the pics! These look much better than others that have a "bar" that spans that gap on the outer ring.

Are these available separately for us DIY guys?