BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

04-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Bingo.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #24
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
So by your logic, Jewish people shouldn't be allowed to wear yarmulkes in France either since it's "waving the flag of their homeland" and not assimilating into the French culture?
I will tell you this, I am 2nd generation in the US, my grandparent come to the US in the 1920's as part of the mass immigration from Europe. From what I see and personally experienced, too many people who come to the US today are only interested in making sure everyone knows they are better than those who came before them and they think their culture is better than being an American.

Even though my grandparents could not speak good English and they celebrated their culture and we preserved much of their home country traditions, they made sure all their kids and grand-kids knew they were Americans first.

During family activities and when the grand-kids were around my grandparent required everyone to speak English. If we were in public no one was allowed to speak anything except English since my grandparent thought it was rude and disrespectful to not speak English in front of other people.

Trust me I know what discrimination is about, I grew up in area where you were definitely treated differently if you were not like everyone else. I know this still exist today, but it not as bad as it was, most nationalities use to live in their own areas of the city so if you were not from their heritage you were singled out. This is why my grandparent felt is was important to be an American first.

Now to your comments, I do feel when people wear certain things they are making an attempt to call attention to themselves and make themselves more important. I know a number of people who are Jewish and ones who I know and meet or worked with who wear a yarmulkes, are doing so to call attention to their religion. Honest, who cares what your religion is. But these people make sure people know they are Jewish and need to be treated differently than everyone else.

How do I know this, I traveled with this people to Asian countries who had not clue what a yarmulkes was, nor did they care. I found most Asians are very gracious and want to share their culture with visitors. Well these people could care less they made sure everyone knew they were Jewish and as such had specially food requirements and other restriction and were expected to be accommodated.

I feel the ones who are not tolerant are those who continue to put their culture in your face. If you cannot be an American first then then go back where you came from. Since I found that people tend to be much more accepting of you and your culture when you embrace theirs first.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #25
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I will tell you this, I am 2nd generation in the US, my grandparent come to the US in the 1920's as part of the mass immigration from Europe. From what I see and personally experienced, too many people who come to the US today are only interested in making sure everyone knows they are better than those who came before them and they think their culture is better than being an American.

Even though my grandparents could not speak good English and they celebrated their culture and we preserved much of their home country traditions, they made sure all their kids and grand-kids knew they were Americans first.

During family activities and when the grand-kids were around my grandparent required everyone to speak English. If we were in public no one was allowed to speak anything except English since my grandparent thought it was rude and disrespectful to not speak English in front of other people.

Trust me I know what discrimination is about, I grew up in area where you were definitely treated differently if you were not like everyone else. I know this still exist today, but it not as bad as it was, most nationalities use to live in their own areas of the city so if you were not from their heritage you were singled out. This is why my grandparent felt is was important to be an American first.

Now to your comments, I do feel when people wear certain things they are making an attempt to call attention to themselves and make themselves more important. I know a number of people who are Jewish and ones who I know and meet or worked with who wear a yarmulkes, are doing so to call attention to their religion. Honest, who cares what your religion is. But these people make sure people know they are Jewish and need to be treated differently than everyone else.

How do I know this, I traveled with this people to Asian countries who had not clue what a yarmulkes was, nor did they care. I found most Asians are very gracious and want to share their culture with visitors. Well these people could care less they made sure everyone knew they were Jewish and as such had specially food requirements and other restriction and were expected to be accommodated.

I feel the ones who are not tolerant are those who continue to put their culture in your face. If you cannot be an American first then then go back where you came from. Since I found that people tend to be much more accepting of you and your culture when you embrace theirs first.
Yarmulkes are worn because the religion requires they wear them (similar to the burqa). It has nothing to do with calling attention to themselves. The burqa was banned because it's a safety issue. If a yarmulke covered your entire body, it would probably have met the same opposition in France.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #26
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Ban burqas.

Then ban durkas.

Just kidding. However, I don't see the problem with this ban due to the reasoning behind it (safety and security). However, like others have said, it should be a ban on covering your face, instead of targeting the Muslims specifically with the verbage of the law.

I don't understand why so many people care. Every person I've heard bitch about this seems to give more of a shit about this than all the real fucked up shit going on in their own back yard. It's France's problem. Let them deal with it, and then when the target of their aggression rises up to stomp them, we'll come save the day again. It's the cycle of life.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #27
greycrx87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 ZCP

Women in burqas smell really bad.
      04-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #28
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post

I was reading along and about to +1, but you dropped the ball and managed to sound like a tard.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #29
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Yarmulkes are worn because the religion requires they wear them (similar to the burqa). It has nothing to do with calling attention to themselves. The burqa was banned because it's a safety issue. If a yarmulke covered your entire body, it would probably have met the same opposition in France.
It is a religious requirements because? the religion want others who are not in their religion to know you are not part of them. Why do any organizing group have symbol so they can distinguish themselves from others.

I just use that as an example, I could have used any number of similar symbols as a examples. BTW the yarmulke worn in certain countries including some Asian countries is a safety risk. I was on one trip to an Asian country where this person was advised by locals that you would be best for everyone's safety he was traveling with not to wear it since he and the group could be a target. Need less to say this guy's need to show his symbol was more important than the rest of our safety.

It is all relative, you may not see it as an issue but any time a person or groups want to set themselves apart from others and in a way that causes people to react negativity it is puts people at risk.

Personally I am not interested in dying because some group hates your group and you feel it more important to show off your symbol because someone wrote it into a book over a thousand years ago.

Do not get me wrong I do not care if people want to be unique or different, that is what makes the world interesting but doing it for reasons which are only to insight others is my issue.

As someone already said Religion = Wars and they caused more of them than Crazy Dictators.

Last edited by Maestro; 04-12-2011 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #30
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
I'd say ban all the damn religions once and for all. We are in 21st century for .....Errrr ....???'ds sake.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #31
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greycrx87 View Post
Women in burqas smell really bad.