BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
sourphish
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 i4 M50

Garage List
FS: Canon 24mm Mk II TS-E f/3.5

Sold!

Mint condition, comes with hood, both lens caps, and blank USA warranty card. UY06 date code. It's a very sharp lens...feel free to come by to test it if you're local.

Local pick up in the bay area (Berkeley)
$1,895 shipped and Paypal gift or e-check or money order.
Also willing to trade for a Canon 24mm f/1.4 Mk II, a Canon 50mm f/1.2, a Canon 50mm f/1.4, or a Canon 5D Mk II. Cash added where necessary.

Below are some images of the lens and random pictures taken with the lens.

Last edited by sourphish; 08-12-2011 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
sourphish
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Lowered price
      08-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Both dog pix look OOF and underexposed. I don't think they'll help you sell it.

The Culinary Institute picture shows an interesting effect, but I think that to sell the lens you'd be better off showing a great archetectural piece, all in focus with straight sides. Also, a nice scenic with huge DOF would be a seller. Lots of people buy these and end up doing effects when they're really great tools for getting super sharp images that can be done with a "normal" lens.

Just a thought or two.
      08-08-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
sourphish
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Both dog pix look OOF and underexposed. I don't think they'll help you sell it.

The Culinary Institute picture shows an interesting effect, but I think that to sell the lens you'd be better off showing a great archetectural piece, all in focus with straight sides. Also, a nice scenic with huge DOF would be a seller. Lots of people buy these and end up doing effects when they're really great tools for getting super sharp images that can be done with a "normal" lens.

Just a thought or two.
Thanks for the insight. This is the reason as to why I'm selling it--because I haven't really done anything with it and my lack of aptitude for this lens shows. The random pictures were really just quick "tests" to show that the lens works and to show the effects of the tilt-shift feature.

I'll have some time after my CPA exam on the 25th to go into San Francisco to do architectural pieces if it doesn't sell by then, or somewhere along the PCH 1 for other scenics.

Edit:
Oo, I just checked out your bio on your company website, awesome =). I'll be working at PwC at the end of the month in the SF office!

Last edited by sourphish; 08-08-2011 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
PwC is a great company. I was a partner at the old Coopers & Lybrand. I was mostly an auditor while there, with a lot of consulting thrown in as I got to the Manager level and above. There's no better place to see how a number of businesses run.

Try to stay to the Manager level and when you leave then try for a CFO-level type job, or director of Internal Audit. Once you do that, you can spend all your time showing eveyone that you're more than simply an accountant. Staying to be a partner isn't all bad either; however, working where you get paid based on the value you can create trumps any career where you pay is connected to the hours worked by you and your team. Being paid hundreds per hour still doesn't compare to being paid while you sleep.

Good luck with the CPA exam. It took me two tries to get it all. It's a tough test. My lawyer/CPA friends say the bar exam is a piece of cake in comparison.

That lens should take a stunning picture of the bridge and do well downtown.

Dave
      08-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
sourphish
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the info and advice, Dave! I wonder though, If one stays to be at the manager level, how desirable would we be? If i wanted to try something more finance / investment related in the future, what would you recommend for me to go about doing that, given that I'll be an auditor for awhile to let's say, the manager level?

Thanks for the luck wishes for my exam, I've been cramming day in and day out for the past 2.5 months (10-12 hrs a day). I rather be working more hours than studying, it feels better and feels less tedious . After the CPA, it's probably going to be the CFA or LSATs.

Sorry for the disorganized jumps, but what are your thoughts about business school today? Is it only worth it if you get into--let's say, a top 10 school?

Lens is still available! Feel free to come by and test it out if you're local in the bay area!
      08-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
johnnymu
Warranty Killer
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Nike shoe

I own this lens and love it. I know it's been said but the examples you took are not what this lens is made for. For example the house picture you took, notice how the building looks like it's leaning backwards, this lens fix that issue by tilting it upright. So take an example of that, not some normal pix that 24mm could do.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
sourphish
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Gotcha, removed them for now then until I can do a better job. Thanks for the input! And I thought macro work was hard to do, I totally don't understand tilt shift at all
      08-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #9
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 d,2008 335i, 2000 740i

One of my questions answered. No one comes to mind as who would want a T/S
2000 740i-Annalisa (sold 2018) 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC 2012 X5d in Sparkling Bronze ( The Ultimate Cat Carrying Machine)-RIP BMW buyback 2019:2017 A3, 2018 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
One of my questions answered. No one comes to mind as who would want a T/S
I think Rodi uses one occasionally often as a way to get extreme DoF when shooting clients.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I'd love one if they didn't cost more than a 5D Mk II.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourphish View Post
Thanks for the info and advice, Dave! I wonder though, If one stays to be at the manager level, how desirable would we be? If i wanted to try something more finance / investment related in the future, what would you recommend for me to go about doing that, given that I'll be an auditor for awhile to let's say, the manager level?

Thanks for the luck wishes for my exam, I've been cramming day in and day out for the past 2.5 months (10-12 hrs a day). I rather be working more hours than studying, it feels better and feels less tedious . After the CPA, it's probably going to be the CFA or LSATs.

Sorry for the disorganized jumps, but what are your thoughts about business school today? Is it only worth it if you get into--let's say, a top 10 school?
Since you know that you want to go financial, then staying until Senior level is all that's required. The Bay Area is full of financial companies, so there should be good opportunity. If you haven't already been promised the Financial Team by PwC, then beg, cry, kick and scream to get on it. It doesn't matter a lot whether you start out on banks, brokerages, investment advisors, unless you know which way you want to go. There IS more money in the brokerage, investment side than banking, in general. However, if you were to go into banking, then making it a goal to be a CEO and bank investor could lead to big money.

Whether to get out at Senior, Manager or Partner level is dependent somewhat on what size institution you'll be going to. Leaving to go to B of A as a Senior could lead to you getting lost in the huge lower ranks. At the other extreme, going to B of A as a Partner, you'd be joining at a very senior level. If you'd be working on major institutions for ten-years, with some sort of national responsibilty, then you will be very valuable. Leaving as a senior, then you might aim at smaller enterprises. In smaller companies you're more likely to get a "piece of the action" and things will be more entrepreneurial, with higher upside, but deeper downsides.

A key is trying to get into the specialty that you prefer. Tech would be another area that is big in your part of the country. I'd be interested in working with the start ups. Lots of upside and from the safety of PwC you could observe a few years before you leap in.

Dave