BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-02-2023, 08:10 AM   #1
Wes4President
Private
Rep
Drives: 08' Alpine M3

08’ E92 6MT Car Won’t Go Into Gear - Burning Smell

Hello,

For the last few drives I’ve been feeling like my clutch is not engaging/grabbing like it normally does. I have a stage 2 evolve tune.

I would press the pedal and then it would rev up and slowly engage into gear. Today I was pushing it and I smelt a burning smell on the highway and then it wouldn’t engaged at all with the gas pedal pressed.

I’m on the side of the hwy now waiting for the tow.

The clutch pedal was fully pressed in when I pulled over

The car does turn on when the clutch is pressed and it does not turn on when clutch is not pressed so that is normal.

When I move the gear shift into gears nothing happens whether clutch is pressed or not.

Any idea what the issue could be? I do think this started a few weeks ago when I did an aggressive pull out of first. Which I never normally do but did that time for some reason and I smelt the same smell I smell now.

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 10:01 AM   #2
Fisssh
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW M3

Clutch itself is bad or the clutch slave or master is dead.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2023, 02:35 PM   #3
Wes4President
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisssh View Post
Clutch itself is bad or the clutch slave or master is dead.
Thank you for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 05:53 AM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

the burning smell would be a sign of a hardware issue relating to the clutch, hydraulics would not make the clutch slip.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2023, 05:58 AM   #5
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

classic clutch symptoms. how many miles?

Don't forget you'll need an updated flywheel to 09+ when changing your clutch. I don't recall if bmw sells the 08 clutch.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 02:33 PM   #6
Wes4President
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
classic clutch symptoms. how many miles?

Don't forget you'll need an updated flywheel to 09+ when changing your clutch. I don't recall if bmw sells the 08 clutch.
Thank you! The mechanic confirmed that it is the clutch. 180k miles. I’ve been hearing about the flywheel being update to 09+ so I’ll anticipate having that updated as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 01:50 AM   #7
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
If you think your clutch is on it's way out but are not sure, take your car to an empty parking lot. Keep the car at idle and keep your right foot on the brake. Clutch in and engage 5th or 6th gear and slowly let the clutch out noting what happens to the rpm as the clutch runs out of pedal throw. If you can make it most of the way to the top of the pedal range before the engine stalls or rpms nose dive, you know the clutch is fuct. If it never stalls, well you know how that feels by now, it feels like a tow truck ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 10:57 AM   #8
Wes4President
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
If you think your clutch is on it's way out but are not sure, take your car to an empty parking lot. Keep the car at idle and keep your right foot on the brake. Clutch in and engage 5th or 6th gear and slowly let the clutch out noting what happens to the rpm as the clutch runs out of pedal throw. If you can make it most of the way to the top of the pedal range before the engine stalls or rpms nose dive, you know the clutch is fuct. If it never stalls, well you know how that feels by now, it feels like a tow truck ride.
Great tip. Thank you!
Appreciate 0