BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR.E92

RPI axle back VS Remus Race

Hey everyone. Could someone please discuss the pros and cons of these 2 systems compared to one another. Any reason to choose one over the other? Has anyone gone from one to another or have owned both before. I would be running axle back only with stock mid pipes. Thanks

Last edited by MEMMEZZ; 06-13-2010 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 03:34 AM   #3
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Ive heard both in person. The preference is really only to sound and quality. The RPI has a "tinginess" to it which I personally do not like. It is a louder exhaust. The Remus Race is comparable to loudness of an eisenmann race or a little quieter. It is more raspy, crackles alot, and has more of a typical american v8 sound. RPi is a smaller, less reputable company, and Remus is a large, well-known company. The reputability of Remus is higher. As for the differences in power, I would think the differences are negligible. My vote is for Remus, expecially when paired with an x-pipe or when catless.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

If your running an axleback I would always choose the RPi...the full race exhaust has a ring to it...but the axleback only is nice and deep. It suits the car really well!

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
M3Alpine
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 AW/SO

i never heard a rpi but i have heard a remus and it sounds great... Has a really deep tone to it not raspy at all
2015 AW/SO
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I have owned both. The Remus is a little higher pitched. The RPI does not require cutting your connecting pipes, the Remus does. RPI makes an E90 fitment exhaust, Remus does not.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Captain View Post
I'm not trying to just get a feel of each one. I want to know about them compared to one another. I know I could have easily searched each individual one but want to know which one users prefer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I have owned both. The Remus is a little higher pitched. The RPI does not require cutting your connecting pipes, the Remus does. RPI makes an E90 fitment exhaust, Remus does not.
The RPI system I would buy would come with connecting pipes. I know you have the rpi system now but which would you prefer sound wise?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash View Post
I'm not trying to just get a feel of each one. I want to know about them compared to one another. I know I could have easily searched each individual one but want to know which one users prefer.

The RPI system I would buy would come with connecting pipes. I know you have the rpi system now but which would you prefer sound wise?
They sound very similar with the stock x pipe. I do not like how the RPI sounds with their brand x pipe. I have the pri cats off of my stock x pipe and the RPI sounds great with it. Very loud on cold starts but quiets down after a minute. Does not sound tinny. Either one is a good axleback to get. Gintani sounds good, too. For that matter so does AA. It's hard to go wrong if you're talking strictly about mufflers/axlebacks.

One other thing to consider is that you can communicate directly with Eloy@RPI, Raz@Gintani, Omar@AA, etc. Remus doesn't have a direct person on the forums, just resellers.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

Remus Race

...As a previous owner for a Remus Race (now running a Remus Sport). I'd have to give the Remus a big endorsement. While I can't confirm the HP gains as I did not have the car dyno'd with just the Remus Race on it I can tell you it sounds absolutely great even at mid/low RPMs with the occasional backfire pop.

I loved my Remus Race, my wife...not so much...(bellow is a direct quote):

"...your car is loud, the baby does not like it...it kicked me", she was talking about a 18 week old fetus
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Any other insight?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking I say go Remus Race

I had Remus Race on my M3 and the sound was awesome axle back alone, then I took it a step futher with AA X-pipe with high flow cats, still sounded awesome and I still wanted more so I went AA X-pipe with AA catless pipes The Remus Race mufflers look really good as well plus they sell at a really good price. I no longer have the Remus Race set up on my M3 that's only because someone was selling their Gintani race exhaust mufflers for a good price and I really like the size of the Gintani exhaust pipes I still miss my Remus Race some times but I am still happy either way.

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
Ive heard both in person. The preference is really only to sound and quality. The RPI has a "tinginess" to it which I personally do not like. It is a louder exhaust. The Remus Race is comparable to loudness of an eisenmann race or a little quieter. It is more raspy, crackles alot, and has more of a typical american v8 sound. RPi is a smaller, less reputable company, and Remus is a large, well-known company. The reputability of Remus is higher. As for the differences in power, I would think the differences are negligible. My vote is for Remus, expecially when paired with an x-pipe or when catless.
Excellent review!

Here's a comparison from our customer of the Remus Sport versus Remus Race exhaust on the M3:

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6BC4xtrOTSA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6BC4xtrOTSA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

I don't think they sound raspy at all. Very aggressive and sounds like an exotic car!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

remus race ftmfw!!! that video pretty much made my mind up. as long as it doesn't drone too bad.

in that video are the cats still in place?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

I love it and get compliments on the sound all the time. Not sure if I would describe it as a american v8 sound, down low maybe and during startup it definitely burbles, but once its at operating temp and you step on the gas you get a nice high pitched sound. I catch myself downshifting and accelerating for no good reason just to listen to it...

The unique sound our engines have is one of the best things about the car and this exhaust at least in my opinion seems to accentuate it..

oh and drone is a non-issue really unless its around the 3K mark where there is some but that seems to be universal and more a characteristic of the car as almost every single exhaust I have heard has some drone at that area of the curve. Its definitely not bothersome.

Last edited by wuzupfoo; 06-16-2010 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

Remus hands down.....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

the remus race sounds like a straight pipe at 4k+ rpm
I just don't like the tips
it's nice that's it's black so you can't see it from the rear though
it's also really hard to adjust to get a perfect centered look
and for that reason I would go rpi
      06-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Remus Sport Exhaust w/ Fabspeed Resonated X-Pipe

I think some of you guys were asking for a clip with an X-Pipe and the Remus Sport exhaust. Here's one of our old customer's E92 M3! Sounds like an exotic car! Please note there are two dyno runs - first with just the Remus mufflers than later with the Fabspeed X-Pipe installed (around 1:35).

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FllPb3fGaFA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FllPb3fGaFA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #18
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s II View Post
I think some of you guys were asking for a clip with an X-Pipe and the Remus Race exhaust. Here's one of our old customer's E92 M3! Sounds like an exotic car!

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FllPb3fGaFA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FllPb3fGaFA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
you should ask shady1 for that video on his car revving at a texas meet
one of the best sounds I've ever heard
      06-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #19
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
you should ask shady1 for that video on his car revving at a texas meet
one of the best sounds I've ever heard
Was it also the same setup?

I've heard them several times at meets and also at this year's past Bimmerfest.

I never get enough of the new E9X M3's exhaust note especially with the right set of mufflers! Absolutely intoxicating!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Sounds better with the Fabspeed on of course... Remus doesnt impress me without a good xpipe.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0