BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

View Poll Results: Turbo / Supercharger / NA / Stock
Turbo 9 24.32%
Supercharger 14 37.84%
NA Tuning 13 35.14%
Stockkkkkk 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

12-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
ponch_ki
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Hey guys! I know that there are a lot of options on tuning our Ms. There are a lot of new kits being developed and some are already out in the market.
I would like to know your opinion on which path to take your thoughts, the Pros and Cons and your reasons behind it!

Post Away!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I know people swear by N/A.... I love N/a but the power just isnt there like F/I... Centrifugal superchragers are going to be the only super charger offered for our cars and basically they are belt driven turbos. Why not just use the real thing. Roots style charger's give you awesome instant torque but those are def. a no go with our cars. Me personally im probly going to go turbo because this car needs more TQ and i think a turbo will def. achieve that. ESS only put down 380 tq but 600 hp at 9lbs of boost. Thats awesome HP. but the tq is def. still too low.

User name lmims526894rou

Or contact me at chrism9551@aol.com
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
William Blake
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 08 MINI Cooper S Clubman

Turbocharging an M-car is blasphemy!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blake View Post
Turbocharging an M-car is blasphemy!
Not exactly.

However, I am going to go the supercharger route I am sure. The reason being that a centrifugal is the perfect forced induction to pair with our motors. It maintains the character of the motor, a turbo or any other style blower changes it.

A stroker is the truest interpretation of the form, but it is also the most expensive for the smallest gains.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS

Garage List
hmm... i really wouldn't know where to start BUT if I was to do any insane forced induction upgrading, it would have to be a super-charger. I've never really been a fan of Turbos, despite how good they might be with respect to tuning capabilities and cool option of blow-off valves additions.

In my opinion superchargers have a nice pull throughout the entire torque band of the rpm range, not to mention the nice whining noise.

haha... I know i am going to sound like an idiot but I am basing my opinion off my current (R53) John Cooper Works MCS and i do apologize in advance for weak justifications.

Last edited by Mischievous M; 12-15-2008 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
William Blake
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 08 MINI Cooper S Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Not exactly.

However, I am going to go the supercharger route I am sure. The reason being that a centrifugal is the perfect forced induction to pair with our motors. It maintains the character of the motor, a turbo or any other style blower changes it.

A stroker is the truest interpretation of the form, but it is also the most expensive for the smallest gains.
You see..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Not exactly.

+1

I would never turbo the M! I t would have to much power and many things would need addressing, drive train, clutch, axles, gearing i could go on for days. My 350Z at high boost 680rwtq is completely worth less on the street 1 thru 3rd are useless. Click here>>>

It would also screw up the M power band / power delivery.. Ever get on the gas getting out of a corner in a rear wheel drive turbo car with more than 450 rwtq?? Freaking Drama!!
Super chargers will keep a nice lenier power band to redline, and the maintenance is ALOT cheaper than a TT.
We almost have the car running 11's with stock internals and no power adders... Thats freaking fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
JMARS
Not Baned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Single-T

Turbo all the way. SCs are way too linear (FOR ME). I guess some people like that, I understand that's one of the Ms characteristics but it would be nice if it had just a little more or a lot more under the curve....hence, my good friend the Turbo or Turbos (2) wink wink

Keep in mind the #s are not relative, just look at the GRAPHS.

SC Example:

Turbo Example:

Like Spiderman's grandpa said "WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSABILTY" or something like that... anyways just a thought.

BTW I love the fact that you can turn down the BOOST on demand (.5 sec) and with a SC....well lets just say it takes a while. It all depends on taste.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Well given that there is just about nothing available yet for FI, I would say go with bolt-ons until there is a good SAFE FI kit available. This will probably take at least a year or two. I would not want to be one of the first cars with FI only to have engine damage...just not worth it for me.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMarsal View Post
Turbo all the way. SCs are way too linear (FOR ME). I guess some people like that, I understand that's one of the Ms characteristics but it would be nice if it had just a little more or a lot more under the curve....hence, my good friend the Turbo or Turbos (2) wink wink

Keep in mind the #s are not relative, just look at the GRAPHS.

SC Example:

Turbo Example:

Like Spiderman's grandpa said "WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSABILTY" or something like that... anyways just a thought.

BTW I love the fact that you can turn down the BOOST on demand (.5 sec) and with a SC....well lets just say it takes a while. It all depends on taste.
haha... twin turbo ay? lol... sounds like someone has already thought out plans of severe mischief. Is the S65 engine ok to handle turbos? (don't mean to sound stupid)

Curious thought: "if the E92 M3 was turbo charged, how do you reckon it would fair up against the 2006 RS6 V8 Bi-Turbo?".
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischievous M View Post
haha... twin turbo ay? lol... sounds like someone has already thought out plans of severe mischief. Is the S65 engine ok to handle turbos? (don't mean to sound stupid)

Curious thought: "if the E92 M3 was turbo charged, how do you reckon it would fair up against the 2006 RS6 V8 Bi-Turbo?".
It would lose.... unless you started from a 3rd or 4th gear roll..

There is NO traction!!!
Appreciate 0