BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Michelin Alpin PA4 Review

Finally got a chance to test out these tires in the snow last night. We got a total of about 5 inches and the roads were packed with a solid inch or two and ice even after they had been plowing for hours.

My wife borrowed the car in the morning to run some errands at the start of the day, and when she got back even asked if she could drive while we visited her family in the evening. This was a great sign! I knew the performance of the tires must of been confidence inspiring! We live up a very steep hill and that has been on my mind since we had moved into the community. If she got up it no problems, then I figured it would be safe to take the car.

I ended up driving just to be sure everything went smooth, and the drive took about an hour to our destination. Performance was great and rarely did I loose any traction. Now this was just the onset of the storm and I knew we wouldnt be leaving until the evening which variables could certainly change!

Toward the end of the night I went for a quick spin to the local shopping center and got a feel for the roads before we made the 1 hour drive home. By this time there was a few inches on the ground on local roads and lots of build up in certain areas. I was shocked how well the car was performing under these conditions. Lots of slush and snow and I truely didnt feel nervous about driving.

We decided to leave shortly after that and were hoping the main highways would be plowed well. It turned out they weren't! I was able to drive very cautiously and felt the grip was exceptional the whole way home.

In the past I have had an STi, X5, 335XI all with snow tires and those cars were monsters. Last year I briefly installed a set of 3 season old snow tires and literally feared for my life when i drove in the snow because I was having traction issues all around. Getting up small inclines was even an issue. I had heard about the Aplin PA4 from a friend, and decided to give them a shot after loving the Michelin PSS.

Initially the tires are very soft feeling and not as direct as the PSS but thats expected. The ride is very comfortable and the tires barely make any noises compared to lots of snow tires I have had in the past.

Overall this is an excellent all around winter tire choice for this car. I'm sure there are some better tires for deeper snow, but if you care about performance, high speed rating, and very good snow performance, I would say this is your choice.

Here are some crappy iphone pics of when I got them installed and some photos from yesterday.

Right before leaving to go home:

Ice Storm aftermath!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
You echo all my thoughts exactly!

So glad the PA4s are working out well.

Drive safe out there buddy
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
You echo all my thoughts exactly!

So glad the PA4s are working out well.

Drive safe out there buddy
Thanks apparently you are the only one who cares around these parts. by the way, you are the friend that I have mentioned in this post

Thanks for the good tire recommendation, they literally turned the car into a winter beast.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

I run the N-Spec version on my 991 C4S. So far they have worked well for me also. We got about 6" of snow over the weekend and even with a 295 rear tire the car seems sure footed.
      12-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
Thanks apparently you are the only one who cares around these parts. by the way, you are the friend that I have mentioned in this post

Thanks for the good tire recommendation, they literally turned the car into a winter beast.
Nice write-up. What sizes are you running?