BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #45
OldenburgerM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 Coupe

one more minor correction: I'm pretty sure the 'ding' comes on at 65-70 miles left, not a specific amount of fuel left (although that may be different for the second 'ding' when the yellow fuel thing takes up your dash permanently). But I can't back that up with facts, I get similar MPG every tank and can't confirm that beyond a hunch.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #46
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenburgerM3 View Post
jdemetry has one part of the solution there: Tank+Filler is more than 16.6. The other part of the solution is the fact that fuel is sold by volume, not weight. Different temperatures (especially in the summer) change the volume of the fuel.
If it were sold by weight and you didn't fill up the filler neck, you'd get 16.6 gallons into the tank. Period.
This.
Nope. That is the essential point: The tank (including filler or whatever) has a certain volume and fuel is sold by volume as well at any temperature. And we have proof that the M3 can take more than the 16.6 US gallons that BMW specifies it does.

What changes with temperature is the weight of the fuel - and the mileage you can reach with a full tank, because energy depends on the weight of the fuel.

Actually, this is correct (at least in general, not arguing about exact numbers there):

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
The fuel reserve isn't refering to an extra tank. The tank is 16.6 like the manual says and the fuel light comes on when you have 3.3 gallons left which means you are working off the reserve. Just like any other low fuel light?
The german manuals also state "fuel capacity including reserve", don't know about the US specs. I severely doubt that the actual capacity is ~19 gallons (i.e. 16.6 gallons + reserve).

With my 335i, I once had the car stuttering already in a slight bend and could fit only 62.5 liters after that, so tank + filler capacity was about as specified at 63 liters. We have seen several people fit 17.1 gallons (65 liters) to the M3. This along with the facts about part different numbers and different weight of the tank lets me conclude that the M3 has at least 2 liters more than the regular 3-series - although BMW manuals tell otherwise.

Whatever, the actual M3's fuel capacity is AT LEAST 17.1 gallons.

Any volunteers to try going for more?
      07-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #47
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I make it a point to fill up when the light goes on to tell me to do so. As for the tank size, I am certain there is plenty of reserve in there just drive slower should you ever be in a "no station in sight situation"

Once in my AMG (some years ago) my best friend and I drove from Edmonton to Jasper, Alberta ... the gauge showed zero and we past a station in Edson, Alberta and made it another 20 miles to the next one. He said "let's live on the wild side" as we passed the gas station, I on the other hand was worried I have to addmit it fealt exciting.

I have on occasion rolled into gas stations on fumes only ... it happens here up north with miles and miles between stations at times.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #48
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
Nope. That is the essential point: The tank (including filler or whatever) has a certain volume and fuel is sold by volume as well at any temperature. And we have proof that the M3 can take more than the 16.6 US gallons that BMW specifies it does.

What changes with temperature is the weight of the fuel - and the mileage you can reach with a full tank, because energy depends on the weight of the fuel.

Actually, this is correct (at least in general, not arguing about exact numbers there):

The german manuals also state "fuel capacity including reserve", don't know about the US specs. I severely doubt that the actual capacity is ~19 gallons (i.e. 16.6 gallons + reserve).

With my 335i, I once had the car stuttering already in a slight bend and could fit only 62.5 liters after that, so tank + filler capacity was about as specified at 63 liters. We have seen several people fit 17.1 gallons (65 liters) to the M3. This along with the facts about part different numbers and different weight of the tank lets me conclude that the M3 has at least 2 liters more than the regular 3-series - although BMW manuals tell otherwise.

Great info. Exactly what I needed to know. I'll start looking for gas when my range gets to ~10 miles instead of ~30. That increases my driving range by 10%!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #49
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:

Good post.

Agree with points in bold. Interesting that the M3 tank might be different than "normal' part. I would not be at all surprised if no one from "normal" BMW caught the difference in the tank sizes, subtle though it might be.

By the way, not trying to offend or question anyone. Props to you for getting additional range out of your car, I totally get it.

:grouphug:
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #50
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Quote:

That's what I'm hoping for - a voulenteer!

Yep, we seem to know that there is at least 17.1 gal capacity, did it myself. I'll add that I DID NOT run out of gas, so the AT LEAST part is worth saying. These cars have such short range, I was simply interested to know what the real range is.

Thanks for all the contributions!

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #51
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Drove 5 miles past -- range and filled 16.9 gallons yesterday. Confirmed. Larger than 63 liters.
Appreciate 1
a5m603.50
      07-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #52
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

16.944 gals 240.2 miles
Appreciate 1
a5m603.50