BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-28-2015, 11:37 PM   #23
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

My Favorite STI still is the one of 07 before the hatchback one came out. That one in blue Best of the best.
But that model you looking into or the newer one after are good looking too. I will take those over Evo X any day.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #24
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
12 years later and much of the same

Latest C&D issue compares the 2015 STI and 2004 STI (June 2003)

Price: $38190, $31520
HP: 305, 300
TQ: 290, 300 (yep, 10 less)
0-60: 4.6, 4.6
0-100: 12.0, 12.4
1/4: 13.2 @ 104, 13.2 @103
5-60 rolling start: 6.3, 5.8 (.5 slower)
Curb weight: 3390, 3260
MPG: 17/23, 16/22
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 11:24 PM   #25
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche View Post
Latest C&D issue compares the 2015 STI and 2004 STI (June 2003)

Price: $38190, $31520
HP: 305, 300
TQ: 290, 300 (yep, 10 less)
0-60: 4.6, 4.6
0-100: 12.0, 12.4
1/4: 13.2 @ 104, 13.2 @103
5-60 rolling start: 6.3, 5.8 (.5 slower)
Curb weight: 3390, 3260
MPG: 17/23, 16/22

So basically Subaru has improved NOTHING on the car in 12 years? They just got fatter and slower
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:18 AM   #26
peter_s
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2, Datsun 280Z, MGB GTS V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post

So basically Subaru has improved NOTHING on the car in 12 years? They just got fatter and slower
If you look at the numbers from the engine little has changed.

They have done lots in the chassis department. The whole feel of the new car is different. I'm very impressed.

I actually like the fact that the STi is so raw, it's a breath of fresh air compared to the 135i or the Golf R. The STi has all that magic feel to it that's still there.

I will pick my '15 up in the next week or two. I can give a better review then
7:51,4 BTG BMW M4, 8:35 BTG Mini Clubman S, 8:56,6 BTG Swift Stage 2
208 laps on the Nordschleife
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 07:23 AM   #27
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
We really enjoy the 2015 STI Launch Edition that we replaced our troublesome Mini with. The wife actually wanted a 12 - 14 STI hatchback but any within 300 miles of us were going for almost the same price as a new one but they had 20k + miles on them and had an unknown past. I looked for about a year before we decided to expand the search for 15s and I found a great deal on the LE.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #28
peter_s
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2, Datsun 280Z, MGB GTS V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi330xi View Post
We really enjoy the 2015 STI Launch Edition that we replaced our troublesome Mini with. The wife actually wanted a 12 - 14 STI hatchback but any within 300 miles of us were going for almost the same price as a new one but they had 20k + miles on them and had an unknown past. I looked for about a year before we decided to expand the search for 15s and I found a great deal on the LE.
Ohh, troublesome Mini, I have lived through that ordeal as well

My 2008 R56 Clubman S was THE worst car I have ever owned. I owned it for 4 years and it spent 9% of it's life in the shop.
7:51,4 BTG BMW M4, 8:35 BTG Mini Clubman S, 8:56,6 BTG Swift Stage 2
208 laps on the Nordschleife
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #29
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
Haha, yep. 2007 R56 Cooper S Hardtop. Owned for almost 6 years, in the shop for an entire year overall. Every November to April - ish it was parked at the dealership as it wouldn't stay running when the temperature dropped below freezing outside. Plus all the other random shit that broke in between the cold months, including a cracked manifold and the well known drive belt/timing chain issues. The aftermarket warranty saved our ass on that POS.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #30
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I had a WRX, drove STIs, modded, had fun, etc.

The good:

-Fast around a track usually with short ratio gear set for max acceleration. Despite what I mention below, handling doesn't "suck" necessarily, it just reaches limits when pushed earlier than other configurations.
-Turbo and AWD to put power down, good kick of torque at relatively low RPM compared to NA cars.
-Darn near track-ready from the factory, just need roll cage, pads and tires really.
-Does pretty well with mods, WRX/STI are usually good for about 50% more crank HP before needing serious drivetrain mods everywhere. Lots of support and mods available, not crazy expensive like euro stuff either.
-Usually pretty reliable if you don't go crazy with tuning, and then it depends solely on how well you know what you are doing and what is required for your your goal.
-Hatch model is super practical compared to sedan, just the fact that they offer it in the years specified by the OP is a huge bonus to me. The sedan from the same years looks like a haphazard afterthought. Although my favorite is the 2004-2007, I'd go for the 2008 hatch, it's a superior/stiffer chassis. Just having one sedan version with the new STI is disappointing to me, especially with the same engine and power.

The bad:
-Poor weight bias causes understeer followed by snap oversteer, many things can help with this, but it's inherently a flawed chassis, like the porsche 911 (in fact, just the reverse of the 911 turbo). They are kind of backed into a corner, because the engine has to be in front of the front axle to make the AWD function like they want, all the time with power to all the wheels. The low CG of the flat engine is offset by the fact that it's in front of the front axle. You have to push pretty hard to make this your limiting factor, but it's still there. This is one reason why the Evo has nearly always outhandled the STI, much more neutral weight distribution/moment of inertia. You'd think AWD with performance tires would rip, and in some ways it did, but my camaro SS sticks to the road, even in the wet, way better than that subaru ever would. Once it was slightly icy/snowy, ok, out the window, but up until that point, the AWD wasn't really all that. It's a little helpful for accelerating out of turns, but you need the wheel HP to make that happen.
-Poor economy and highway RPMs. Lacking direct injection and with the short ratio transmission, this thing buzzes along at relatively high RPMs and crams fuel down like crazy for cooling when you mash the throttle.
-Drivetrain drag and low whp. The STI dynos around 240hp. Think about that for a little while. A 328 dynos around 240hp as well. The old WRXs were around 170whp, while the 2.5s got around 190, when the more powerful 2009 version came along, it bumped up again to about 210whp or so. These are all pretty low wheel horsepower ratings and they are exactly why the rolling/passing acceleration for these cars are relatively poor. You can get the numbers up with some relatively easy mods of course, but it's just disappointing that Subaru doesn't try to make the cars more competitive with what is being offered out there by other manufacturers....or keeping them from being dusted by an Accord V6 on the highway.
-General lack of technology. Subaru often puts technology on their JDM cars that they never bring over to the US. In the same line as the basic hp/tq numbers, twin scroll turbos, complete forged internals (and not just pistons) and other technologies are often left out of the US market. The absolute worst was in 2008 when Subaru tried to pass off what was known as the "Impreza GT" in Japan as the "WRX" in the US. This wasn't really a WRX and mostly just a basic Impreza with a turbo, complete with wobbly suspension and all sorts of body roll.

The bottom line is that these are mostly good cars and they respond well to tuning, but you have to know what you are doing and use common sense. A good one usually commands a crazy premium price and modded ones are often beat to hell or modded by morons. Still, if you can get your hands on a JDM or built motor for them and pair them up with a decent trans, it can be tons of fun. STI is a good track machine. You can make a WRX into a good track machine with all the parts available. It's disappointing that Subaru hasn't really improved the car significantly. To be competitive the car should be coming with at least 350hp/tq, especially with a 2.5 block. I put 140k on a stage 2 wrx with turbo-back, intercooler, adjustments to wg, ECU, intake, and other stuff that I can't remember now. 280-300hp or so. Only problem I had was a hole in the coolant hose because when I put it back after the timing belt change it was rubbing on a pulley, took me a while to track down why I was smelling coolant, but figured it out and no problems. I will say changing the steering bushings (near when I sold it) was one of the worst auto jobs I've ever done, haha. Just not very accessible.

The only golf that gives the STI a run for it's money is the 292hp AWD version. Otherwise, the STI is on a different planet in terms of handling, track-ability, etc..

Last edited by RM7; 06-04-2015 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #31
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I actually kind of like them, and they seem to hold their resale value amazingly well. I could be incorrect, but don't these cars still have a lot of engine issues?
You mean the subarus from around year 2000 with the 2.2 engine that hasn't been produced for more than a decade?

Not really an issue. There are much smaller issues, but they aren't consistent or really significant. Head gasket (2.2L) isn't nearly the issue that it used to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #32
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_s View Post
IThe hatch is my least favorite of the new ones when it comes to driving feel. The STi-racing you are looking at are really nice cars, more focused than the hatch.
The whole reason they went to the hatch in 2008 was to make the car more competitive in rally/racing.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #33
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
You mean the subarus from around year 2000 with the 2.2 engine that hasn't been produced for more than a decade?

Not really an issue. There are much smaller issues, but they aren't consistent or really significant. Head gasket (2.2L) isn't nearly the issue that it used to be.
No, I mean the most recent ones all the way up until now. I've heard story after story of the motor blowing on these things. Ringland failures galore, quick Google search brings it up. The problems probably stem from mods, but a lot of people claiming to be stock have it as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #34
TheLegend
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

I came from a 2009 STI, loved that car and I'm sad to let it go, but I'm happy that I let it go to my brother so it's still in the family. The hatchback version pretty much hits every single requirement of mine. Power, AWD, Utility of the hatchback, Great 6 speed transmission, reliable, low maintenance. I can't find a single car that hits all that. The car gets a bad rep because of the cracked ringland, but I have to say in my 6 years of ownership it's been perfect, but I've kept it stock as well. Pretty sure every story of blown engine gets amplified on the forums, just like the rod bearing issue in the e92 m3. For daily driving duty it's my perfect car. I wish I could have kept it, but I couldn't pass up on the M4 and I couldn't afford to keep both.
Appreciate 0