BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #45
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

I use my M button nearly every single day and my car sees redline at least once or twice a week (I joyride in the country as much as I can... I love this car too much not to) and my valve covers are like new. In my opinion, it's not an issue of 'spirited' driving or not. If it was, we'd see this A LOT more on this forum.
      01-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #46
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
I use my M button nearly every single day and my car sees redline at least once or twice a week (I joyride in the country as much as I can... I love this car too much not to) and my valve covers are like new. In my opinion, it's not an issue of 'spirited' driving or not. If it was, we'd see this A LOT more on this forum.
Yes and cars that see track time are redlined or close a dozen times a lap without this being the result.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #47
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yes and cars that see track time are redlined or close a dozen times a lap without this being the result.
I agree with the last two posts.
      01-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #48
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbis
Sheesh, that engine looks like it's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
And that ain't right on a car that was born to run...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #49
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
Just checked mine, negatory.
Bad head gasket or cracked head?
Anyone know what our coolant mixed with oil looks like?
Get engine oil analysis done - Blackstone.
I have the same coloration and peeling. Aside from bearing wear metals, my last three Blackstone analyses (spanning almost 30K miles) have looked fine.

My '08 has 70K on it BTW. It sees occasional track usage and DD freeway usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
I have a 2008 E90 with 51k miles.

I don't have any peeling at all on my valve covers. They look brand new.

My car has had Castrol TWS 10W-60 it's whole life until just recently (<200 miles ago) it was changed to Mobil 1 0W-40.

Here are a couple pictures of the inside of my valve cover. I just had an oil analysis done <200 miles ago. I have the same orange-ish color you have but I have no flaking at all. I also rubbed the inside with my finger and absolutely nothing came off aside from just clean oil.

I hope this helps!

I can see the coating peeling/missing right at the edge of that lip. Which means it is likely happening elsewhere.
      01-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #50
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

I'll post pics, but my 2010 with 49k miles has some minor bubbling and roughness under the oil cap too but doesn't appear to be peeling off (yet).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #51
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I have the same coloration and peeling. Aside from bearing wear metals, my last three Blackstone analyses (spanning almost 30K miles) have looked fine.

My '08 has 70K on it BTW. It sees occasional track usage and DD freeway usage.

I can see the coating peeling/missing right at the edge of that lip. Which means it is likely happening elsewhere.
You mean right where the metal tabs on the cap rub against the coated surface every time you screw it on or take it off? Yes, it is peeling there. I've looked with a flashlight at every angle I can and there is no peeling anywhere else that I can see. I doubt I have peeling issues anywhere else on the inside of my valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #52
TX
Captain
Rep

Here is my oil report finally

Here is my oil report. It shows higher than normal levels of lead(bearings), molybdenum and Titanium.... Thoughts guys?
Thanks.
Attached Images

02-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #53
windymiller
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Did this ever get resolved? Did they replace the covers, or just repaint them?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #54
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymiller View Post
Did this ever get resolved? Did they replace the covers, or just repaint them?
After much arguing with the dealer, they basically told me to take a hike because it was a cosmetic issue and would not be covered under my "Platinum" extended warranty. They continued to explain that nothing would be done unless the engine or some part of it failed and was linked to the coating that was falling off inside. They don't do repairs because something might become an issue down the road if it's not fixed. Instead they will wait until something breaks and since the engine was still running I was basically SOL. That is of course assuming I'm still under warranty by then, which is unlikely.
They have the upper hand it seems.
      02-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #55
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
After much arguing with the dealer, they basically told me to take a hike because it was a cosmetic issue and would not be covered under my "Platinum" extended warranty. They continued to explain that nothing would be done unless the engine or some part of it failed and was linked to the coating that was falling off inside. They don't do repairs because something might become an issue down the road if it's not fixed. Instead they will wait until something breaks and since the engine was still running I was basically SOL. That is of course assuming I'm still under warranty by then, which is unlikely.
They have the upper hand it seems.

I have brought this issue up 2x on 2 sep cars and BMW has pretty much said it's a refinish issue and you're SOL. The covers are 690 each!!! Might as well remove and refinish myself. BMW sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #56
windymiller
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

So did you repaint the cover? Mine's lifting in places so I was wondering what the paint code was, though I guess it's not 'normal' paint, or at least it shouldn't be.

Not that BM realised there was such a thing as 'high-temperature paint'!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #57
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Here is my oil report. It shows higher than normal levels of lead(bearings), molybdenum and Titanium.... Thoughts guys?
Thanks.
Think you can better post your Blackstone oil report over here =>http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ne+oil+reports
BTW...your report looks not that bad I've seen a lot worse .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #58
BombaE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

My 2011 had this exact same issue. At 28k miles the dealer replaced passenger side only because it had a minor oil leak at the gasket. They didn't do the driver's side because it wasn't leaking. No leak, no warranty claim, seems to be the BMW position unless you've got a good relationship with your service manager.

I just changed the driver's side this week because it looked like the OP's pic and the car is now at 39k miles.

Active Autowerke did the job for me and they claimed that the head covers are made of magnesium. I haven't been able to confirm this, but they've always treated me right so I've had no inclination to check it out further.

They mentioned that it's not something that should cause a catastrophic engine failure as the cover will eventually crack a bit at near the bolts and leak oil. At that point it becomes a headcover gasket leak issue.

FWIW, (and I'm going from memory here) the head covers cost $675 and are not always stocked at the dealer so you could be waiting for parts from Germany. It's not a common issue, but it's not totally uncommon or reason to panic. I personally believe all these engines will have this issue at some point, but that's my opinion. I'm also wondering if the temperature has something to do with it, as my car has always been a South Florida car.

Honestly, I only changed it because they are doing a Stage-2 S/C on my car and it's one of those easy "while we are here" type jobs, with practically no labor because the car was already in pieces.

It's easy to inspect the passenger side, but the driver's side is under the airbox so it's not so obvious. I'd be curious to see what any other members find if you pull your airbox to take a look.

I'm the second owner. Car is immaculate, dealer maintained, and was lady driven with no signs of abuse anywhere. It also gave us a good opportunity to give the engine a brief inspection, which left me feeling pretty good about it.

Blackstone report should be back soon, but I'm expecting it to be clean based on the condition of the engine internals.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 02:05 AM   #59
BombaE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
You can see the oil on the chain and gears. It doesn't look half bad there. The dealer changed oil under maint plan on schedule since new. They would change it for me based on time since I never did the miles. Last oil change was 5K to 6K miles ago. Car has 37K miles on it for a 08 production/in service 09 model. Never tracked, never abused. Always warmed up oil before getting over 3K rpm. Something isn't right here from what I'm seeing so far. Oil inside looks good, it's not black, slightly medium brown. Feels clean except for the stuff I rubbed off the inside surface was like gritty paste or sandy and even saw a few metal shavings in it once it was rubbed down on my fingers. Help!!
If you're still in South Florida, you can give Active a call since as I mentioned above, they just did the job on my car.

Long story short, per AA if it's not leaking, don't freak out but you'll probably want to change it eventually.

They can do your rod bearings at the same time unless you want to DIY it. They had two engines open doing rod bearings this week. I'm shocked at this whole rod bearing issue, like many of you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #60
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Just bumping this thread a bit.

I just topped up some oil in my car and noticed the same thing, paint flaking on the inside. Like OP, I highly doubt BMW will do anything about it. Anyone did anything to fix the problem? I am guessing even if we pull the Valve Cover and replace it to another OEM one, it will still happen? My car is a DD, at around 55k =/
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #61
JankGiovanella
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 6MT / 328i 1996 5MT

Hey guys,

My valve covers are bubbling too, have anyone painted them already? I'm thinking about sanding and then painting in a nicer color.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #62
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

You guys are way overthinking this.

BMW has been using magnesium valve covers for decades and the paint always ends up flaking off.
      05-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #63
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post

BMW has been using magnesium valve covers for decades and the paint always ends up flaking off.
If its bubbling/flaking off on the outside, i could care less about it since its more aesthetics (and as others mentioned, i seldom open up the hood anyways so wouldnt bother me too much.

But the problem is that the flaking is inside, and that's just scary because they paint etc. will be mixed in with the oil. Hopefully the filter does a decent job in catching all that stuff.

Wish BMW didn't "design" for it to flake off like how it is.
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #64
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

2008 E93 M3 - 37K - Always Garage Kept - It has been driven 2 or 3 times while raining and has a really clean Engine Bay!

, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 11-13-2016 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 05:31 AM   #65
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post

If its bubbling/flaking off on the outside, i could care less about it since its more aesthetics (and as others mentioned, i seldom open up the hood anyways so wouldnt bother me too much.

But the problem is that the flaking is inside, and that's just scary because they paint etc. will be mixed in with the oil. Hopefully the filter does a decent job in catching all that stuff.

Wish BMW didn't "design" for it to flake off like how it is.
The crank gets freshly filtered oil so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
Oil filter should catch this stuff
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 05:11 PM   #66
dragonsi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I noticed that you and Sangria both have the same issues, and both are located in FL. It probably has to do with the salty air you guys have over there.
2008 SS E90 M3 6MT. Alex@Alpine Stage 2 tune, RPI X pipe, HRE 540, MFactory Dry Carbon DS, Swift Springs, Ultimate Clutch Pedal, Do88 Engine Oil Cooler, TMS Subframe Bushings, TMS Delrin Diff Bushings
Appreciate 0