BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #45
White 13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A 2013 Alpine White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educlass View Post
Please can someone help me...... I have a 2001 4.4l x5 and I can only fill up my gas tank less then half. It stops at the same place each time. Here is what I have done:

1- tried over 3 different gas stations
2- tried turning the gas nozel up, down, side to side, and pulling out the nozel alittle here and there.
3- I am not getting any codes or anything of that nature also the x5 runs fine.
4- Also I put some gas cleaner (one of those small bottles from adv auto)

*Could the breather fuel vent in front of the driver side engine block be bad and cause this issue? (Please note I'm not getting any error codes or anything like that)

This is killing me I'm searching the Internet and can not find a resolution. I'm praying that someone can tell me where to look or any ideas.
I don't have experience with that car but as mentioned above pinched or clogged vent line or canister full of gas are possibilities. Over filling or filling past the correct level can cause liquid to flow into the canister but canister is only designed to hold fumes which can be sucked out by vacuum as I understand it.

Have you tried to post this question in the X forum?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #46
Ikendiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educlass View Post
Please can someone help me...... I have a 2001 4.4l x5 and I can only fill up my gas tank less then half. It stops at the same place each time. Here is what I have done:

This is killing me I'm searching the Internet and can not find a resolution. I'm praying that someone can tell me where to look or any ideas.
Doesn't the X5 have two gas tanks? I know my X6 did. I had a problem with one of the fuel level sensors in one of the tanks on my X6 that resulted in the gauge not moving below half a tank. Ran out of gas on Thanksgiving as a result, but that's a story for a different day. Dealer was able to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #47
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I'm getting this F@#$ing problem in my M3. I think it's a problem with the car's fuel system. This never happens on my vw/audi.

I'm going to call the dealer up.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #48
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

I had this problem. The dealer replaced the "charcoal canister" they said it was flooded. It has since come back. I was told don't overfill the car!
      01-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #49
nmcampbell
On The Highway To Hell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i jt blk/lemon

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
I've been having this problem for a few months. Try to fill up, doesn't matter which gas station or type of nozzle and it almost inevitably clicks off after a few gallons of gas and as it gets fuller, clicks off more frequently. Dealer claims its the fuel evaporative canister and cost to replace is $540.00
09' E92 M3 / Jerez Black / Black / Carbon Leather Trim / Technology / Premium / 19" Wheels / DCT / Enhanced Sound / Sat radio / iPod cable / Smartphone integration / PDC / V1 (Hardwired)/ Black Fuzzy Dice / (Delivered 4/17/09)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #50
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcampbell
I've been having this problem for a few months. Try to fill up, doesn't matter which gas station or type of nozzle and it almost inevitably clicks off after a few gallons of gas and as it gets fuller, clicks off more frequently. Dealer claims its the fuel evaporative canister and cost to replace is $540.00
My evo did this from the start. Pump with nozzle upside down. It works.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #51
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
My evo did this from the start. Pump with nozzle upside down. It works.
The problem is not the car, it's the nozzle and the angle at which it enters the tank. My family owned gas stations for years. The nozzle has a sensor at the tip that tells it when to click off. There are two things that can happen:

1. The sensor on the nozzle gets stuck. It's just a hole at the tip of the nozzle and we used to poke it with a pen tip to reset it. This is a more rare occurrence.

2. The nozzle goes into the tank at an angle that causes the fuel to splash back or back up causing the nozzle sensor to think the tank is full. The fuel can also foam or bubble backwards towards the sensor causing to click off the handle.

My car has done this too and the solution is turning the nozzle upside down as mentioned above. You can also pull the nozzle out an inch or two which will do the trick, but be careful the nozzle doesn't jump out when it clicks off.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #52
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-solo View Post
The problem is not the car, it's the nozzle and the angle at which it enters the tank. My family owned gas stations for years. The nozzle has a sensor at the tip that tells it when to click off. There are two things that can happen:

1. The sensor on the nozzle gets stuck. It's just a hole at the tip of the nozzle and we used to poke it with a pen tip to reset it. This is a more rare occurrence.

2. The nozzle goes into the tank at an angle that causes the fuel to splash back or back up causing the nozzle sensor to think the tank is full. The fuel can also foam or bubble backwards towards the sensor causing to click off the handle.

My car has done this too and the solution is turning the nozzle upside down as mentioned above. You can also pull the nozzle out an inch or two which will do the trick, but be careful the nozzle doesn't jump out when it clicks off.
so when i had my evo for 3 years, it must have been every single pump that i went to that was messed up? lol.....regardless yes, upside down stays locked and works!

edit: had this problem for 3 yrs out of the 6 yrs of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #53
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-solo View Post

so when i had my evo for 3 years, it must have been every single pump that i went to that was messed up? lol.....regardless yes, upside down stays locked and works!

edit: had this problem for 3 yrs out of the 6 yrs of ownership.
Please see option 2 above. Hahahaha! Do you even read bro?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #54
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Yeah so if its EVERY single pump that did it all across california for my car for three consecutive years but not anyone else's (yes i was the only one who filled up with the nozzle upside down) that must mean its the nozzle right?

If it works for someone else but not my particular car, its the car not the nozzle.

Isnt that common sense??
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #55
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Update: This issue has affected my 2013 a couple of times now. I find that its fixed by simply pulling the nozzle out a bit. Never tried the rotation trick, but it seems plausible as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #56
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccos View Post
I've posted about this problem in the past but here we go again. When I fill up my car at the gas station, the gas pump stops pumping gas before my tank is completely filled. It can take 20 tries to finally fill up my tank. Worse off, ive noticed a lot of gas is leaking out around the side and spilling over onto the car and eventually my tires. Any advice?
It's saying stop putting this non-93 octane in me! Sorry just a little levity.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:13 PM   #57
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

I have this same issue on my 2008 E90 M3. It's irritating but I'm going to try the upside down nozzle suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #58
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah so if its EVERY single pump that did it all across california for my car for three consecutive years but not anyone else's (yes i was the only one who filled up with the nozzle upside down) that must mean its the nozzle right?

If it works for someone else but not my particular car, its the car not the nozzle.

Isnt that common sense??
Is this an episode of threes company? Lots of miscommunication going on here. I said commonly, those are the two problems, yours might have been some rare/different case.

For the masses (not pkim), its the angle at which the nozzle head enters the gas tank (I realize how that sounds). You could also tried holding the nozzle slightly further out away from the gas tank opening so you are not pushing it all the way in.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 09:19 PM   #59
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-solo
Quote:

Isnt that common sense??
Is this an episode of threes company? Lots of miscommunication going on here. I said commonly, those are the two problems, yours might have been some rare/different case.

For the masses (not pkim), its the angle at which the nozzle head enters the gas tank (I realize how that sounds). You could also tried holding the nozzle slightly further out away from the gas tank opening so you are not pushing it all the way in.
You quoted me and told me that it was not my car. Perhaps you meant to quote OP?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #60
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
I've had the same problem... it comes and goes.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0