BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Questions about test pipes

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some feedback regarding test pipes. So I have a stock M3 and I just want a cheap way to add power. So I'm thinking I'll add pulleys and a test pipe. But regarding the test pipe, can I run it with the stock x-pipe and stock axle-back? Also, what would I need to do regarding CEL lights? Will this set up drone and be overly loud? I saw the macht schnell post and I couldn't tell how much the sound changed over the dyno.

Also, is there any difference between different manufacturer test pipes? MS or others? Any particular you would recommend?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2016 X5 50i

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some feedback regarding test pipes. So I have a stock M3 and I just want a cheap way to add power. So I'm thinking I'll add pulleys and a test pipe. But regarding the test pipe, can I run it with the stock x-pipe and stock axle-back? Also, what would I need to do regarding CEL lights? Will this set up drone and be overly loud? I saw the macht schnell post and I couldn't tell how much the sound changed over the dyno.

Also, is there any difference between different manufacturer test pipes? MS or others? Any particular you would recommend

Thanks!
The sound will increase as there's no Primary Cats restriction. You will need a tune for the CEL or the Akra Delete-R. I don't think there's much difference between known manufactures. I ordered mine a week ago with Sal from AUTOcouture excellent service, fast shipping, and outstanding price. I got the Test Pipes with the ESS Tune as a bundle. Give them a call you won't regret it.
      02-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

hey bro im actually running this on my car, the ESS tune with the ACM test pipes..I also have an Akra slip on..for the exhaust sound it will be louder, but not overwhelming..id say about half as loud as an x pipe. IMO its perfect for the price and power theres no better way to go..my buddy and I took ours out last night (hes stock) and did pulls..it wasnt even close so theres def a big difference and no placebo effect...i dont have the pulleys simply bc i dont think its worth it for myself bc this summer ill be supercharged and just remove them...test pipes are the same id compare it to who makes a better pencil bc its all the same design when i looked at the MS and my ACM...without the tune i ran a CEL about 1000 miles after installed but the tune took it away..just go with the tune you wont regret it and the Akra delete is just like a band aid and covers up the CEL...thats all i can say from personal daily experience on the Autobahn so hopeully i helped out a lil
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Agree with the guys above. I just posted a review and little clip of an install i had done this week, Turner Test Pipes and a BPMsport Stage II tune (tunes cams, among other things, and gets rid of the CEL). I have Agency Power axle back which I think is great for the money. You'll be $2000 in with a set-up like mine, but it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Hi guys,

Also, is there any difference between different manufacturer test pipes? MS or others? Any particular you would recommend?

Thanks!
Most West coasters are running the Macht Schnell Bypass Test pipes. Here's one member's experiences in this thread:

Macht Schnell Test Pipes Installed!! (dyno/video)
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756575

Let me know if you'd like a package deal with the ESS E-Flash tune.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 02-14-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
jel014
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Sedan

I just did this over the Xmas break. Got the AA drop-in intake, AA Pulley, Turner Test Pipe, and Evolve-R software. This is the definitely the cheapest way to squeeze some more power out of the car. I even ran before and after dynos just to see the gain and there was clearly a power increase.

For the test pipe, there's not much difference, I went with Turner only because I've known and used their product since the e36 days. But it basically just a straight piece of pipe, I don't see much engineering required. Pulley you can do some research, some uses one pulley, custom belt, other has two pulley etc. There's a thread discussion the various manufacture's pulley. I went with AA once again base on my e36 experience with them, and they had a sale going on. Software is once again subjective, but I suspect they are probably all very similiar. Mike Benevo, ESS, and Evolve.

As far as sound goes, on startup its even louder then before, quite annoying (embarassing) actually even with the pre-heat cat sequence deleted, but that crazy rumble goes away in less then a minute. On normal driving & cruising, its a few decibels louder. On hard acceleration, its also a tad louder (which I enjoy).

Overall I really enjoy these mods, my only regret is I wish I had done it sooner. I'm actually 'afraid' of my car again cause its so fast and responsive. Its a hard feeling to explain. Can't wait to take it out to track again with these new mods.

BTW, I would definitely get the software with it, it clears the errors, and it makes the car silky smooth. I use to have a lot of DCT jerks during cold start, low gears. All of this is gone now, plus you gain a few more ponies.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

OP pm me with any questions, I'll be happy to help you out
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
I have the MS pipes. Everything else in the exhaust is stock. I like them. The car has a bit more raw/rasp attitude, but not over the top---not enough to get you in trouble when cruising. A Highway Patrol officer SERIOUSLY eyeballed my car a few days ago while cruising in freeway traffic going below the speed limit. I was totally chillin' and had been chillin' for the last 20 miles. He was looking to ticket someone----he checked my front bumper for a plate, he cruised behind me, in front of me, turned all the way around to look back at my car when in front of me. I mean really......I was just cruising along with everyone else. I have no tint, the front plate is on the tow point. If the car had been loud, he would have gladly pulled me over, because as soon as he was done with me, he got behind a pickup and pulled him over......so, I can say with certainty the test pipes raise no issues when cruising around. But when you get on it, it has a nice direct sound.

Have you seen this comparison?

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Thanks for the responses, soo I already have a dinan tune on the car, but will I need to get another tune to remove the light? If not, will akra delete solve the cel problem?

Also, regarding the install, does it just bolt right in or do I need to cut any part of my own x pipe?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Thanks for the responses, soo I already have a dinan tune on the car, but will I need to get another tune to remove the light? If not, will akra delete solve the cel problem?

Also, regarding the install, does it just bolt right in or do I need to cut any part of my own x pipe?
Check with Dinan first to see if they will code out the secondary O2 error code. Otherwise, you may have to switch to a different tune, we prefer ESS's E-Flash.

Feel free to contact me directly if you should have any questions concerning the ESS product line.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
chrispykreme1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 (2019 M2C- Current E92 (20

Garage List
dinan tune

the dinan tune will in fact clear the cel light caused by going cat less, stage 2 dinan tune that is.
Appreciate 0