BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-13-2021, 10:47 PM   #1
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Alpine ECU tune + GTS DCT tune + AA Test pipes = TOTALLY DIFFERENT ANIMAL!!!

As the title reads, I just got these mods done on my 1 month old (new to me) E90 M3.

I drove it stock for around 3 weeks before I got the Alpine ECU tune and GTS DCT tune.

I'll be honest, I didn't feel much of a power gain from the ECU tune according my butt dyno.....although Alpine claims a 20-22hp gain. Maybe the butt dyno can't detect a 20hp bump? Or maybe my car was already tuned by the previous owner?

The GTS DCT tune is a MUST do mod for this car. Totally changed the smoothness and shift speed of the DCT transmission. At $100-$150, it simply cannot be beat.

Active Autowerke test pipes (primary cat deletes), they were $270 shipped (5% off coupon). I just got these installed today and I can feel what a difference it made. They advertise a 20hp gain, and this one I can actually feel something on my butt dyno. Sound wise, without cold start delete it idles slightly louder than stock. After 45 sec - 1 min it idles as quiet as stock. Under 3.5k rpm, it is maybe 8-10% louder than stock....around 4K RPM to redline is really when it roars to life!!!

The soundtrack is incredible....sounds SOOOOO mean/aggressive like a race-car engine should. The downshifts sounds so good. Imagine doing 60mph in 6th gear, you click the left paddle 3 times, now you're in 3rd gear. Foot to the floor and you just take off. By the time you shift to 4th gear, you're doing well over 100+mph....

Although I've only had this car for 1 month, this is all the performance mods I intend on doing for now. There are some cosmetic mods to be done, but that will be it. Next year, it's time to go supercharged with the ESS VT2-625 kit and rod bearing replacement.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI (sold)/E92 M3 (sold)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nice.

I was thinking of going with a Dinan Trans tune or GTS DCT.

My mechanic does the Dinan tune for around $250 and TopGearSolutions and AlpineMSS can do the GTS tune for $60 to $70 for remote coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #3
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaterM3 View Post
Nice.

I was thinking of going with a Dinan Trans tune or GTS DCT.

My mechanic does the Dinan tune for around $250 and TopGearSolutions and AlpineMSS can do the GTS tune for $60 to $70 for remote coding.
Not sure how different the DINAN trans tune is but you can't go wrong with BMW OE software. Get the GTS tune!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
tweny
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

if you don't mind me asking, what is the process on installing the tunes?
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
cae93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

I read something a few days ago that the "GTS" tube actually softens the shift in the higher "S" settings and that it actually makes the car slower in full bore acceleration. Is this BS?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I believe the Dinan and GTS DCT tune are the same. Could be wrong though. I think I paid 100 for the Dinan tune.

One should certainly get one or the other though, totally changes the feel of the car and removes a-lot of the clunkiness.
      03-15-2021, 04:05 PM   #7
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cae93 View Post
I read something a few days ago that the "GTS" tube actually softens the shift in the higher "S" settings and that it actually makes the car slower in full bore acceleration. Is this BS?
Maybe? My shifts used to be smooth and instant, but it's more "aggressive" and slow now. It feels jerky like a quick manual shift.

I'm not a fan, but allegedly it increases the longevity of the DCT so I kept it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:46 PM   #8
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweny View Post
if you don't mind me asking, what is the process on installing the tunes?
You will receive a OBD2 cable that will be locked to your VIN. You download AMS software, and use that to upload the tune to your car. Takes around 5-7 minutes to upload a new tune/map.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #9
sbo76
Private
Rep
Drives: E46/991.1 GT3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
As the title reads, I just got these mods done on my 1 month old (new to me) E90 M3.

I drove it stock for around 3 weeks before I got the Alpine ECU tune and GTS DCT tune.

I'll be honest, I didn't feel much of a power gain from the ECU tune according my butt dyno.....although Alpine claims a 20-22hp gain. Maybe the butt dyno can't detect a 20hp bump? Or maybe my car was already tuned by the previous owner?

The GTS DCT tune is a MUST do mod for this car. Totally changed the smoothness and shift speed of the DCT transmission. At $100-$150, it simply cannot be beat.

Active Autowerke test pipes (primary cat deletes), they were $270 shipped (5% off coupon). I just got these installed today and I can feel what a difference it made. They advertise a 20hp gain, and this one I can actually feel something on my butt dyno. Sound wise, without cold start delete it idles slightly louder than stock. After 45 sec - 1 min it idles as quiet as stock. Under 3.5k rpm, it is maybe 8-10% louder than stock....around 4K RPM to redline is really when it roars to life!!!

The soundtrack is incredible....sounds SOOOOO mean/aggressive like a race-car engine should. The downshifts sounds so good. Imagine doing 60mph in 6th gear, you click the left paddle 3 times, now you're in 3rd gear. Foot to the floor and you just take off. By the time you shift to 4th gear, you're doing well over 100+mph....

Although I've only had this car for 1 month, this is all the performance mods I intend on doing for now. There are some cosmetic mods to be done, but that will be it. Next year, it's time to go supercharged with the ESS VT2-625 kit and rod bearing replacement.
I could cut and paste this post and i would be my exact story. I bought a 2009 E92 with 39K miles 3-4 weeks ago. over the weekend i ordered the Alpine tune (I added the GTS and DCT tune as well since there was a discount from the group buy) and ordered the AA test pipes. I absolutely cannot wait to get everything installed. Unfortunately I am out of town this weekend so it will have to wait until next week! I will report back to gloat with you!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 03:26 AM   #10
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo76 View Post
I could cut and paste this post and i would be my exact story. I bought a 2009 E92 with 39K miles 3-4 weeks ago. over the weekend i ordered the Alpine tune (I added the GTS and DCT tune as well since there was a discount from the group buy) and ordered the AA test pipes. I absolutely cannot wait to get everything installed. Unfortunately I am out of town this weekend so it will have to wait until next week! I will report back to gloat with you!
YES!! Please report back and let me know what you think.

I would do this:

Get the Stage 1 and Stage 2 (catless) tune from Alex first. Upload the stage 1 tune to your car and leave everything else stock. Drive it for a week and see if you notice any difference.

Then add the GTS DCT tune to the stage 1...

Lastly, get the test pipes put on and switch to stage 2 tune with burbles.

Are you choosing the burble option?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 01:15 PM   #11
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 M3 Space Gray

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
Not sure if you are aware, but you can hold the downshift paddle (left) and floor the accelerator and it will drop down many gears. Saves time from clicking 3 or more times. It will automatically drop to the correct lower gear and power range. Just be prepared to upshift fast. 🙂👍
      03-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #12
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

This is supposedly what shipped with the GTS.

-Smoother and smarter transmission settings in general.
- S1-S3 do not blip downshifts, they slip downshifts. For this reason I use S4 for most driving.
-S6 will ease into upshifts when around quarter throttle or less, no shift shock, stock US / Euro would upset the car a lot if you did this.
-S4-S6 slam into upshifts, absolutely no cut of power, will really spin from a 1-2 gear shift, 2-3 will sometimes spin even on a hot day.
-Been a minute but I believe launch control was like 3500-4500. Hooked up much better than the stock tune, which just spins tires.
-Sounds (exhaust note) like a torque converter automatic, meshing into upshifts.

GTS DCT tune/stage 2/test pipes is an amazing combo and will transform the car.

I had stage 1 with the cats for about 6 months and looking back it wasn't even worth it compared to the TP's and stg2.

Last edited by neilum; 03-18-2021 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2021, 11:18 PM   #13
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iToy View Post
Not sure if you are aware, but you can hold the downshift paddle (left) and floor the accelerator and it will drop down many gears. Saves time from clicking 3 or more times. It will automatically drop to the correct lower gear and power range. Just be prepared to upshift fast. 🙂👍
Yes, I am aware of this and sometimes I use it

However, I like hearing the rev matching in each gear when I downshift hehe.
Appreciate 1
330iToy71.00
      03-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #14
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:

Just wait until next year...
      03-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #15
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Just wait until next year...

yeah if I was going to S/C the car within a year why bother haha
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #16
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
yeah if i was going to s/c the car within a year why bother haha
vt2-625 = totally different animal!!!

Looks like we are neighbors as well, I am in Bergen county too...
      03-20-2021, 12:45 AM   #17
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
vt2-625 = totally different animal!!!

Looks like we are neighbors as well, I am in Bergen county too...
Noticed in your signature you're supercharged....mind sharing some details?

-What mileage did you install the SC?

-Did you replace the rod bearings before or after SC install?

-How does WOT feel in SC'd car vs. non-sc'd car?

-Was the SC install done by autocouture? Cost of install?
Appreciate 1
Idfkman473.00
      03-20-2021, 04:17 PM   #18
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Noticed in your signature you're supercharged....mind sharing some details?

-What mileage did you install the SC? Installed at 17K, now has 22K

-Did you replace the rod bearings before or after SC install? Rod bearings were done at 20K by autocouture (BE+ARP), they had wear, but were fine. They were just for piece of mind.

-How does WOT feel in SC'd car vs. non-sc'd car? The power delivery is very stock like (very linear), WOT after 6k is relentless.

-Was the SC install done by autocouture? Cost of install?Give Matt a call, he is doing an install right now. He will be able to quote the job for you.
Click the link below for some SC discussions. My reply is the last one on the second page.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...1436472&page=2

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=44