BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

05-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #67
OerdingE93
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mineral White E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
well I'm sure he can kill Suburbans and Expeditions and stuff. so his v8 killer plate is somewhat justified

|ESS VT1-550 510whp|MRF MID|AKRA REAR|CKS COILS|FORGESTAR|CSL TRUNK|GT4 Lip|3D-DESIGN
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #68
ALpine11M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW M3 Coupe

I previously owned a 400 whp STi which took a lot of work and time to make fast. I traded it in for my M simply because it goes fast without all of the volitility of the strung out 4 cylinder. Not to mention it goes around a corner better stock, than the STi with near race worthy suspension. Granted money obviously isn't the issue since my M cost twice as much, but I can actually drive the car without getting a headache from the catless exhaust fumes or the incessant ringing in my ears after any significant drive. Fact of the matter is, although my STi would have spanked my M in a drag race, I have no regrets. The two are incomparable vehicles, for two very different people. My two cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #69
asukadc
Rep
Drives: 2005 AW M5

here u go, although in this video they have the GRB STi (2.0) but it's all stock vs stock cars here

best motoring
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #70
Tarmac_E46_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMG

I agree, a stock M3 will smoke the STI and EVO, even with the basics done. A 3450 lb AWD car with 250 WHP, stock; of course it has zero chance to keep up with a M3. Even tuned, with ALL bolt-ons, the STI will see maybe 310 WHP, maybe. Now, it pushes massive tq for a small engine (340-350 WTQ with said WHP tuned), which is useful when paired with the AWD system and the proper terrain...

But it's still a 4 cylinder in the end. Now, if you drop a GT30R, twinscroll turbo, all supporting parts and tuned with E85, you're looking at like 600+ WHP.

But we are forgetting what the STI was made for... dual purpose, aka Rally bred. Take the STI where it's home, on gravel/snow/any loose surface and of course the M3 won't keep up.

Entrepreneur (Click the about me ): AdamRod.MySiselPro.com
Fitness Challenge: AdamRod.MyLeanLine.com
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #71
Tarmac_E46_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALpine11M3 View Post
I previously owned a 400 whp STi which took a lot of work and time to make fast. I traded it in for my M simply because it goes fast without all of the volitility of the strung out 4 cylinder. Not to mention it goes around a corner better stock, than the STi with near race worthy suspension. Granted money obviously isn't the issue since my M cost twice as much, but I can actually drive the car without getting a headache from the catless exhaust fumes or the incessant ringing in my ears after any significant drive. Fact of the matter is, although my STi would have spanked my M in a drag race, I have no regrets. The two are incomparable vehicles, for two very different people. My two cents.
Agreed. 2 breeds made for 2 different things.

Entrepreneur (Click the about me ): AdamRod.MySiselPro.com
Fitness Challenge: AdamRod.MyLeanLine.com
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #72
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
Agreed. 2 breeds made for 2 different things.
I don't really agree with that, the STI that you buy at your Subaru dealer is not more of a rally car then a RS5 , it's just a sport car with AWD! The reason why an STI can not hang with a M3 is not because it's a rally car , it's because it's woth half the price of the M3!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #73
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I don't really agree with that, the STI that you buy at your Subaru dealer is not more of a rally car then a RS5 , it's just a sport car with AWD! The reason why an STI can not hang with a M3 is not because it's a rally car , it's because it's woth half the price of the M3!
Seriously, you have no clue what you are talking about. Please stop now.

The STI is as close to a production rally car as it gets, minus tires. It is NOT a sports car. Any and all STI owners will know that their car is built to rallyl just buy looking at the horrendous wheel gap in the front or the numerous differential settings and symmetrical AWD. Look at the quick shifting in the STI and the short gears, this is all rally inspired. Power delivery falls on it's face over 100mph, none of this helps on major road courses.

Seriously bud, do your homework.

<---(Former 2x STI owner)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #74
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Seriously, you have no clue what you are talking about. Please stop now.

The STI is as close to a production rally car as it gets, minus tires. It is NOT a sports car. Any and all STI owners will know that their car is built to rallyl just buy looking at the horrendous wheel gap in the front or the numerous differential settings and symmetrical AWD. Look at the quick shifting in the STI and the short gears, this is all rally inspired. Power delivery falls on it's face over 100mph, none of this helps on major road courses.

Seriously bud, do your homework.

<---(Former 2x STI owner)
Well , I've driven a 09 STI for the past 3 years before buying my M3 and I never felt more in a rally car then in any of my Audis! Just because some peolple race those car in the rally does'nt mean the production model is close to a rally car , even with that horrendous wheel gap I woudl'nt dare take a jump with the stock suspensions and wheels, I think I had that same gap on my A4 and my TT! As for the short gears, not worst then any 6speed 4cyl. , in fact I'm pretty sure a rally car does'nt get to 155mph while the STI does. As for the power delivery that is falling after 100mph, any 4cyl will do that, specially an AWD one! And finally, the differential settings, I think Mitsubishi offers that in the Outlander!

IMO the STI is just a road car with some rally inspirations, not different then every Audi , it's not even close to be rally prep! It surely helps Subaru selling cars to associate the STI with rally but I'm a 100% sure those cars are built for normal use on normal roads! If you don't think so, try to find a STI review that took place on a rally course!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #75
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Well , I've driven a 09 STI for the past 3 years before buying my M3 and I never felt more in a rally car then in any of my Audis! Just because some peolple race those car in the rally does'nt mean the production model is close to a rally car , even with that horrendous wheel gap I woudl'nt dare take a jump with the stock suspensions and wheels, I think I had that same gap on my A4 and my TT! As for the short gears, not worst then any 6speed 4cyl. , in fact I'm pretty sure a rally car does'nt get to 155mph while the STI does. As for the power delivery that is falling after 100mph, any 4cyl will do that, specially an AWD one! And finally, the differential settings, I think Mitsubishi offers that in the Outlander!

IMO the STI is just a road car with some rally inspirations, not different then every Audi , it's not even close to be rally prep! It surely helps Subaru selling cars to associate the STI with rally but I'm a 100% sure those cars are built for normal use on normal roads! If you don't think so, try to find a STI review that took place on a rally course!

There are many reviews that occured on dirt roads, I'm now worried that you have not spent enough time on Nasioc.com. And I think you just completely skimmed over this thing called Rallycross, which many owners take mostly stock STIs into dirt.

I'm actually offended, as an ex STI owner that you would equate the differential settings in an Outlander to that in the STI. This almost makes me question whether you owned an STI or not. The STI's differential setting would allow for Full Lock, Full Open and 3-4 partial lock settings, to the point that you can move the biases of the power from front to back, lock moving the power breakdown closer to 50-50 rather than the 40F-60R. Full open, would alow for easier drifts and unhindered rear wheel spin.

equating the inverted suspension style of an STI to a TT just plainly illustrates to me that you didn't know all of the rally cues that the STI picked up from it's world rally brother.

One day you will see the light. If Subaru wanted to make a road car, at inception they wouldn't live or produced cars within the confines of the WRC regulations or cues.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #76
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
This is what the STI is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX_STI
      05-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #77
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
There are many reviews that occured on dirt roads, I'm now worried that you have not spent enough time on Nasioc.com. And I think you just completely skimmed over this thing called Rallycross, which many owners take mostly stock STIs into dirt.

I'm actually offended, as an ex STI owner that you would equate the differential settings in an Outlander to that in the STI. This almost makes me question whether you owned an STI or not. The STI's differential setting would allow for Full Lock, Full Open and 3-4 partial lock settings, to the point that you can move the biases of the power from front to back, lock moving the power breakdown closer to 50-50 rather than the 40F-60R. Full open, would alow for easier drifts and unhindered rear wheel spin.

equating the inverted suspension style of an STI to a TT just plainly illustrates to me that you didn't know all of the rally cues that the STI picked up from it's world rally brother.

One day you will see the light. If Subaru wanted to make a road car, at inception they wouldn't live or produced cars within the confines of the WRC regulations or cues.
I don't need Nasioc.com to know what I drive! I had a lot of fun with my STI , it had a Cobb stage 2! I don't know about the older STIs but my generation was pretty soft for a rally car and I'm not even talking about the engine!

Name:  sti.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  st2.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  119.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #78
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukadc View Post
here u go, although in this video they have the GRB STi (2.0) but it's all stock vs stock cars here

best motoring
This M3 driver sucks.
      05-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #79
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92involved View Post
This M3 driver sucks.
Yeah I agree... did he use launch control or something at the beginning?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #80
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
This M3 driver sucks.
You are saying Keiichi Tsuchiya, seasoned professional race car driver/drifter, sucks. Good one. He is one of the best drivers I know/master of car control. I'm thinking M3 tires were shot. STI Spec C is just a really fast car on THAT track.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #81
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know about the older STIs but my generation was pretty soft for a rally car and I'm not even talking about the engine!
What you are describing reminds me of this:
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #82
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
You are saying Keiichi Tsuchiya, seasoned professional race car driver/drifter, sucks. Good one. He is one of the best drivers I know/master of car control. I'm thinking M3 tires were shot. STI Spec C is just a really fast car on THAT track.
I dont care who he is, watch the video.....garbage.
      05-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #83
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

The STi hate is strong in this thread.

The notion that "soft" suspensions are synonymous with "bad" is generally quite wrong as well. A lot of people just throw springs or some crappy coilovers on their car and deem the handling better, when in fact it becomes far less adaptive and predictable.

I wonder how many here have actually raced an STi with a competent driver in it. If you think you will "smoke it", you will be sadly mistaken. On the right course and conditions, you will do nothing of the sort. Likewise, it is far easier to push an STi to the edge, than an M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #84
hieu1004
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3

^I agree with you. The STi, with a competent driver, are very quick cars. Like I said in my previous post, the AWD makes them extremely quick off the line. I had a tuned '10 WRX and a tuned '11 STi and I can guarantee, they are very fun, fast and raw. With a few mods and a tune, you can get some nice power out of the 2.5L engine.

Stock vs stock, my M3 is much faster than my STi, but I felt the STi was much easier to get going due to the AWD (both 6mt). The STi, even with a few simple mods (downpipe +tune, etc.), run out of breath in the higher end, while the M3 keeps pulling. As an enthusiast, I love both cars, but they are very different.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #85
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
I dont care who he is, watch the video.....garbage.
Let me shed some light on this. Tsuchiya has driven the M3 many times before to its full potential, even to victory, but this one is definitely an anomaly. The tires were most likely already worn since its a press car. They had to do time attack laps, where the M3 did well, but at the expense of the tires. Time attack on Best Motoring usually is around 3-5 laps, and they do this race afterwards. At this point, I'd imagine the M3's tires are already shot before the race even begins. Tsuchiya is left with no choice. Look at past challenges, you will see that Keiichi is no noobie that can't extract the M3's potential. He sure can, but on this day and in those conditions, the M3 they got was not up to the task.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #86
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
Let me shed some light on this. Tsuchiya has driven the M3 many times before to its full potential, even to victory, but this one is definitely an anomaly. The tires were most likely already worn since its a press car. They had to do time attack laps, where the M3 did well, but at the expense of the tires. Time attack on Best Motoring usually is around 3-5 laps, and they do this race afterwards. At this point, I'd imagine the M3's tires are already shot before the race even begins. Tsuchiya is left with no choice. Look at past challenges, you will see that Keiichi is no noobie that can't extract the M3's potential. He sure can, but on this day and in those conditions, the M3 they got was not up to the task.
I'm not saying that this guy can't drive. I am saying that he didn't drive this race very well. I mean look at the launch; he bangs 1st for a little to long lol. Plus I am not impressed with his track line. It is what is it, he took 3rd and disappointed us all. Anyways, happy motoring.

J
      05-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #87
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
I didn't watch the video. Is it Best Motoring video? If so then forget the results. All the stuff from BM is biased. In their videos NSX beats Ferraris, Evo kills Porsches, Skyline walks Lambos etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #88
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
I didn't watch the video. Is it Best Motoring video? If so then forget the results. All the stuff from BM is biased. In their videos NSX beats Ferraris, Evo kills Porsches, Skyline walks Lambos etc...
Exactly. Everytime, there's a pattern.

Goes something like this - so lets see, if we placed the awesome guest car last on the grid, then fumbled the launch, then sit back for a couple of laps and look at the other guys having fun, then finally get on it but fumble a few gear changes or pretend something is happening with the traction control, so will the awesome guest car win?

No? Well then victory Japan over Europe, suckers!

At least if I understood the language it may at least be pure entertainment like Top Gear, but as it is...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0