BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Strange Noise

I have a strange noise coming from the underside of my 2009 E92 M3, and I thought maybe you all can help.

It is a metal "clang" coming from the underside, front/mid section, usually only at low speed, and usually when the clutch (6 speed here) is engaged - like coasting to a stop or pulling ahead slowly into a parking garage, etc. It doesn't happen a lot, but it is there every so often. Dealer couldn't replicate it, of course.

Thoughts?
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Normal drivetrain slow-speed 'clunk' (tranny/diff slop). Yes, it's more noticeable on this car than others I've owned/driven, but there's nothing to worry about IMO. Consider it an idiosyncrasy . These cars are not quiet by any means. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Normal drivetrain slow speed 'clunk' (slop). Yes, it's more noticeable on this car than others I've owned/driven, but there's nothing to worry about. Consider it an idiosyncrasy . These cars are not quiet by any means. Take care.
Really? A loud "clang" is normal slop in the drivetrain? THAT loud? Weird.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN M3 View Post
Really? A loud "clang" is normal slop in the drivetrain? THAT loud? Weird.
Don't know how loud it is buddy, so if you're worried, get it checked. Or drive other cars. All 3 M3s I drove had it, but can't read your mind as far as loudness. You might need to change your driving technique as well. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Its probably a stone caught up in the area of the brake disc backing plate. You can sometimes dislodge it by reversing or it will eventually fall out by itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
CMOS
Private
Rep
Drives: Carrera 4S

You should mount a video cam in the engine compartment and drive around. Record the sound that way, then play it for your service manager. That would help them. If you can tell them what you were doing while the recorded sound occurs, that would be really helpful.

Or maybe there's something else in the wheel well that you can strap it to. That might be better b/c it would be less engine noise and closer to the suspension.

Get a small cheap cam and a bunch of zip ties. I'm sure there's a way.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Its probably a stone caught up in the area of the brake disc backing plate. You can sometimes dislodge it by reversing or it will eventually fall out by itself.
Search other threads. This seems to be the best explanation. I had it a couple times myself and then it went away.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
I talked to a couple other forum members about this noise that I experienced which is similar to OP's, " cling clang " noise that is consistent as the wheels spin, coming from rear section under panel. We took off the wheel and checked the brake and found nothing caught inside. the OP in this thread http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248082 found out the noise is coming from a lose bolt in the midsection after pushing the car hard (which is what I and another forum member did according to his friend). I have yet to check on my own, but will do so this weekend. However the noise is not present anymore as of today, crossing my fingers
      10-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
M3twins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Normal drivetrain slow-speed 'clunk' (tranny/diff slop). Yes, it's more noticeable on this car than others I've owned/driven, but there's nothing to worry about IMO. Consider it an idiosyncrasy . These cars are not quiet by any means. Take care.
I think you've got it right there.. I also drive the 6MT and from what the OP is describing, this is the most likely culprit. I've had other manual cars that had the same characteristic. Smoother clutch disengagement and proper gear selection usually correct the issue/noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3twins View Post
I've had other manual cars that had the same characteristic. Smoother clutch disengagement and proper gear selection usually correct the issue/noise.
Great advice buddy.
You can also duplicate the clunk by letting the rpm drop too much and allowing the engine to get jerky near idle.
By the way, there's no mistaking the gear-slop clunk with a rock on the brakes; totally different noises. Good evening folks.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3twins View Post
I think you've got it right there.. I also drive the 6MT and from what the OP is describing, this is the most likely culprit. I've had other manual cars that had the same characteristic. Smoother clutch disengagement and proper gear selection usually correct the issue/noise.
Yes, I also agree. Smoothness is critical with this car and the 6MT. My C6 Z06 did the same things with a less-than-smooth shift, as did manual Porsches that I've driven. Manual transmission performance cars tend to make more noises than an automatic Lexus or Infiniti.