BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

09-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #111
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Foks, OP here --> This thread won't die .. I recently went to the track with my M3 and realized two things -

a) I am completely hooked - absolutely, hopelessly and completely hooked to the track.. I've already signed up for two more trackdays this month ...

and b) the M3 was so much fun at the track, I realized I have so much to learn, it's capabilities are so far beyond mine.. and it will be cheaper to run the M3 vs the GTR on the track... since I can't get a dedicated track car.. the M3 is the perfect balance between a DD and a twice/month track car..

Going to the track made me fall in love with my M3 all over again.... !!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #112
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
Foks, OP here --> This thread won't die .. I recently went to the track with my M3 and realized two things -

a) I am completely hooked - absolutely, hopelessly and completely hooked to the track.. I've already signed up for two more trackdays this month ...

and b) the M3 was so much fun at the track, I realized I have so much to learn, it's capabilities are so far beyond mine.. and it will be cheaper to run the M3 vs the GTR on the track... since I can't get a dedicated track car.. the M3 is the perfect balance between a DD and a twice/month track car..

Going to the track made me fall in love with my M3 all over again.... !!
Another M3 happy ending........
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #113
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

What other days are you going I'm gonna be there the 13th and 26th I think

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #114
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm there the 15th - Which is the Alfa Day and the 29th which is the PCA day.

I bellieve you are signed up for proformance days? .. I found proformance to be unreasonabily expensive! I find that the club days are much cheaper and you get great instruction included with no extra charge.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #115
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sleeper View Post
Another M3 happy ending........
IMHO you really cannot appreciate what the M3 is till you track it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #116
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

I bellieve you are signed up for proformance days? .. I found proformance to be unreasonabily expensive! I find that the club days are much cheaper and you get great instruction included with no extra charge.
Can you give me more info about the club days so I can get into some this next season maybe.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #117
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:

I will be there on 29th as well. You should stop by our MINI owners area, there are usually 2-4 MINIs.

I think PCA and BMWCCA have really good events. You get good instructors, decent drivers, and other drivers are respectful and don't drive like an ass.
      09-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #118
Zanardi43
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Here is one reason to not get a GTR... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581363

If it were me, I'd still get the GTR
A few things:

If my GTR was still stock, I would likely not be looking for a M3 DD. It's the mods that pushed me over the 'too many comprimises for a DD' point. A highly-modded GTR will completely realign your compass for what's fast. The torque they can produce at that level is simply amazing.

OP...if you're planning to extensively mod your GTR for added power and use it on the track, it's gonna also require extensive cooling mods to stay safe. For street use, (unless you're in a very hot climate) you don't need to do much, but when you get a GTR on the track, things get hot...quickly. Not sure about M3 maintenance, but GTR maintenance for people who track regularly is also very expensive...and even more so if you've made power mods.

I am a big GTR fan, but I bought mine DISPITE the way it looks. In fact, I got mine in black so the lines of the car are muted. It catches eyes everywhere and in a week you'll lose count of how many people take cell phone pictures and want to race you, so if that's a positive for you...FYI.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #119
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I will be there on 29th as well. You should stop by our MINI owners area, there are usually 2-4 MINIs.

I think PCA and BMWCCA have really good events. You get good instructors, decent drivers, and other drivers are respectful and don't drive like an ass.
will do - I'll see on the 29th
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #120
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
Can you give me more info about the club days so I can get into some this next season maybe.
PM'ing you..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #121
Toker335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i/Sold--10" GTR

get the GT-R, its wonderful, trust me

08' 335i 6MT - Sold
92' NA 300ZX 5speed - Sold
06 IS350 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #122
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Reasons to get GTR:

1. Mind blowing acceleration

2. Phenomenal grip

Reasons not to get GTR:

1. Conflicting design elements in the styling. This results in an incoherent, mish-mash with regards to exterior design. Add to that a very unsophisticated boy-racer look.

2. Very 1980's interior styling. Again, nothing flows. It looks like bits and pieces stuck together

3. Numerous very unpleasant sounds. From the loud turbos, to the tinny exhaust, to the god-awful clunking from the transmission

4. Mediocre grade cosmetics, materials and finish

5. Poor ride-handling balance

6. Slightly numb steering feel

On an episode of Top Gear, Clarkson called the GTR an "instrument for speed". And that's all it is....an instrument. If you want just a go-fast tool, the GTR is it, for sure, but it lacks style, refinement and class. It is a techno-loaded muscle car. Of course if you want style, refinement and class along with the GTR's performance, then you need to spend $170k for a 911 turbo S.

I test drove a GTR 3 times, but just couldn't get past it's total lack of finesse and refinement in multiple facets of its design and execution.
      09-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #123
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

at the track recently... some of my fellow experienced track members were lapping 1:40ish .. or lower.. (adavanced group @ pacific raceway, wa) ... I was doing around 1:55... (I'm in the beginner group) ... I have fifteen seconds to gain.. that's a huge mountain to climb!! ......

after hitting the track my gtr obsession is gone ... and has been replaced with just working on becoming a faster, better driver! ... I can always get a GTR a few years down the line
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #124
BMW//M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Convertible

GT-R's are cool and I'd like to own one but the engine and exhaust sound terrible. They might be fast but driving and tracking aren't always about speed. Also, the M3 has better handling and a luxury interior, honestly the GTR's looks like it was pulled from an 06 Altima. I'm glad you've found a new love for your M3 though and from what I've heard everyone goes back to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #125
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Reasons to get GTR:

1. Mind blowing acceleration

2. Phenomenal grip

Reasons not to get GTR:

1. Conflicting design elements in the styling. This results in an incoherent, mish-mash with regards to exterior design. Add to that a very unsophisticated boy-racer look.

2. Very 1980's interior styling. Again, nothing flows. It looks like bits and pieces stuck together

3. Numerous very unpleasant sounds. From the loud turbos, to the tinny exhaust, to the god-awful clunking from the transmission

4. Mediocre grade cosmetics, materials and finish

5. Poor ride-handling balance

6. Slightly numb steering feel

On an episode of Top Gear, Clarkson called the GTR an "instrument for speed". And that's all it is....an instrument. If you want just a go-fast tool, the GTR is it, for sure, but it lacks style, refinement and class. It is a techno-loaded muscle car. Of course if you want style, refinement and class along with the GTR's performance, then you need to spend $170k for a 911 turbo S.

I test drove a GTR 3 times, but just couldn't get past it's total lack of finesse and refinement in multiple facets of its design and execution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW//M View Post
GT-R's are cool and I'd like to own one but the engine and exhaust sound terrible. They might be fast but driving and tracking aren't always about speed. Also, the M3 has better handling and a luxury interior, honestly the GTR's looks like it was pulled from an 06 Altima. I'm glad you've found a new love for your M3 though and from what I've heard everyone goes back to the M3.
^^^"1980s interior styling"....?? Simply wrong.

Poor "ride-handling balance"...WTF.

"Numb steering".....??

Most of all the "M3 has better handling."

It's not even worth responding to the last three comments as they are so obviously incorrect.

Jeremy Clarkson also said he wanted a GTR: http://bcove.me/i0dd6r06
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #126
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
^^^"1980s interior styling"....?? Simply wrong.

Poor "ride-handling balance"...WTF.

"Numb steering".....??

Most of all the "M3 has better handling."

It's not even worth responding to the last three comments as they are so obviously incorrect.

Jeremy Clarkson also said he wanted a GTR: http://bcove.me/i0dd6r06
I disagree. I happen to think those assessments are very accurate.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #127
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think they are both awesome cars. For now I will enjoy my m3 and then one day soon, the gtr :-D
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #128
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I disagree. I happen to think those assessments are very accurate.
You believe the m3 handles better and the GTR has numb steering? Please elaborate on your short comment that is without question totally false. Have you driven it on the track or just formed an opinion based on a test drive and comments by those who are in denial because a Nissan outperforms and is 20-30k more expensive than a well equipped BMW M3? Please explain how it handles better than an AWD car that's in a completely different league performance wise. This goes against reviews from professional drivers and my personal experience as I own both. They are both great cars in their own way, but it doesn't make much sense to compare them. They serve different purposes.

Last edited by erio; 09-12-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #129
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think they are both awesome cars. For now I will enjoy my m3 and then one day soon, the gtr :-D
Inded, they are both great cars. I think you ultimately made the right decision, esp since you just got your M3. The M3 is very fun on the track. I love the engine screaming to redline. Glad you could get it on the track. People appreciate the car and it's capabilities so much more once they drive it on the track, esp. at or near it's limits.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #130
JerezblackM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 dct

A friend owned a 2008 manual m3 and which was always driven sideways. Kept it for a year and jumped to a 2009 gtr with hks 570 kit. 6 month later he was totally fed up and sold it. I asked why? His reply was " it was amazingly fast but nowhere near the fun you can have with the m3 in terms of drifting and cheerful driving. He said his next car will be a Dct m3 with a supercharger not to miss out on the performance.

But do I care? Hell no! I still want a gtr!
      09-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #131
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezblackM3 View Post
A friend owned a 2008 manual m3 and which was always driven sideways. Kept it for a year and jumped to a 2009 gtr with hks 570 kit. 6 month later he was totally fed up and sold it. I asked why? His reply was " it was amazingly fast but nowhere near the fun you can have with the m3 in terms of drifting and cheerful driving. He said his next car will be a Dct m3 with a supercharger not to miss out on the performance.

But do I care? Hell no! I still want a gtr!

Believe me, the GTR is also fun as hell. I hear these stories on this forum all the time, but no one I know that has one has ever looked back.

Last edited by erio; 09-12-2011 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #132
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
Believe me, the GTR is also fun as hell. I hear these stories on this forum all the time, but noone I know that has one has ever looked back.
You must not know many that have owned them. Take a look in the for sale section on NAGTROC, Cars.com, autotrader, etc. There are plenty out there for sale for such a "limited production" car.... as some say

The car has fantastic performance numbers but there is so much more to a car than a lap time, a 1/4 mile or stoplight to stoplight race. I'm not knocking the car. I actually like it.............but not enough to buy one.
Appreciate 0