BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Above applies to all times and not just break-in. I drive the piss out of my car but with a couple rules I always follow. Engine temp needs to have the needle almost right in the middle. I don't go by the sliding-tach thing which essentially tells you the car is warm-enough well before the needle is even close to the middle. So I make sure the engine is nice and warm before letting it rip anytime I drive.

I was not holding the car at redline during break-in like I do now but I did frequent WOt runs to redline after about 500 miles. Then I would let off and do normal driving for awhile and then again another WOT run to redline.

I varied the gears and RPMS a lot and to me to fully break it in I think doing runs of 2k rpms all the way to full 8400 rpms runs really provides the maximum forces on the engine components to fully break-things in
Appreciate 0