BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

12-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #133
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
I'm at around 600+ miles in my break-in period. My dealer mentioned to me that my 2011 M3's engine is limited to 5500 RPM as a forced precaution from factory... and that once I get my 1200-mile service, they'll unlock the car's capabilities.

That hasn't proven to be true as my car has gone as high as 6500 RPM (in an accidental 1/2-second moment of downshifting too quickly at a high speed).

Was he referring to a limited SUSTAINED RPM of 5500 or what? I certainly don't want to mess with it, but I'd like to know the facts on this.

On top of that, my M3 continues to alert me that I need service even though I'm only half-way there. My dealer says to ignore it as 1,200 miles is the golden number. Okay... so I ignore the alerts
As others have noted your dealer is wrong, probably about many other things as well.

The only pre-1,200 mile thing I "might" have noticed was that the shift lights seemed to start coming on at something like 5,500 rpm whereas they now don't start popping until 7,000 or so. I don't think it was my imagination but then again...
      12-12-2010, 05:13 AM   #134
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
He's dead wrong. The salesman drove the M3 I test-drove with 10 miles on the odo MUCH harder than I have ever driven mine, and it has 6K miles. And the guy after me kept bouncing the limiter too. I was the only one who drove it respectfully, even though everybody else was abusing the crap out of it. I personally don't believe anything bad will happen if you don't stick 100% to the break-in recommendations, like an ocassional run to pass a semi or something, but NEVER redline a brand new engine incessantly. And yes, that's why I never buy a demo car .
Yep "DEMO"S" get thrashed, I would not buy one either.
I thrash all the demo cars I take out.
      02-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #135
trapit
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92

How is it that evinrude can make an engine that doesn't need a break-in, but BMW cant?
Sure it's a boat motor, but still. Just thought id bring This thread back
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #136
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Ah, but my Mercruiser had very specific guidance for break-in during the initial 20 hours, with a service at that point!