BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

12-28-2008, 01:22 AM   #45
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
swamp,

Point taken, I must have missed that but my points are still valid even when two cars seem to be identical in perforance as is the case in this test. The m3 and 997 give totally different experiences behind the wheel and it's still up to each person as to whether the Porsche is worth it.

Another point worth noting is brand loyality, magazines favour the company spending the most in ads, it's something I have notes in UK rags and I doubt the States is any different, so take every reviews overall result with a pinch of salt.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #46
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeS4 View Post
...Especially after they compared the M3 against the 997TT which is twice the amount of a loaded M3 and the M3 beat the 997TT as well....

The M3 beat the 997.1Turbo and GT-R with price and usability in mind, not outright track performance. The new 997 with pdk might have given consumers better performance/usability in ratio of its price.

Plus they were looking for an excuse to compare two trick transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #47
matt beard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR 6sp.E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
This is why I said

I did say that numbers are half the story - there is some useful information, but don't care overall. I can care less about what the editor likes in terms of feel, so having a winner is pointless to me. Verbiage? You can get a WRONG feel perhaps by verbiage, since feel/preference is subjective. For instance, I completely disagree in this review regarding the steering on the 911. I don't think he's lying, I just don't agree. That's his impression/feel.

Let's be honest. The tests are done because these guys have nothing to write about every month (that's "sexy" and sells, like "M3 vs. 911"), the winner thing sounds good all the time, and they need to sell magazines. A better comparison test would be M3 vs. RS4 (maybe the've done that - don't know). M3 vs. 911 is apples to oranges. Some like both, some hate apples, and some hate oranges. Yet both have nutritional value.
What exactly would you prefer then? Perhaps a magazine such as Automobile, where performance numbers and anything else that even resembles interesting is replaced by page after page of fuel efficiency and usesless banter of how much money was donated to the United Way by their staff. I happen to find these comparisons quite compelling, after all it is a mag. for car enthusiasts. Furthermore, as for your comment about feel/preference being subjective, that is the point. These editors are paid to do these comparisons, and are paid to give their own opinion. Otherwise you would just end up with a list of #'s and measurements, and that would make for a pretty poor read.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #48
arr0gant
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1996 911 Carrera Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt beard View Post
What exactly would you prefer then? Perhaps a magazine such as Automobile, where performance numbers and anything else that even resembles interesting is replaced by page after page of fuel efficiency and usesless banter of how much money was donated to the United Way by their staff. I happen to find these comparisons quite compelling, after all it is a mag. for car enthusiasts. Furthermore, as for your comment about feel/preference being subjective, that is the point. These editors are paid to do these comparisons, and are paid to give their own opinion. Otherwise you would just end up with a list of #'s and measurements, and that would make for a pretty poor read.
No shit! Why don't people get it?

1996 911 Carrera Cabriolet

2006 Porsche Cayman S, 2004 M3 Vert, 2008 BMW M3 Sedan, 2001 911 Turbo, 2002 Porsche 911 C4S, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, Porsche Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #49
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt beard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr0gant View Post
No shit! Why don't people get it?
Get what? Re-read my post (#34) and you'll see that you guys are the ones that don't *get it*. I've made my point.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #50
aggie57
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S

Well, as some of you will know I had an M3 on order for some time but in the end cancelled that and bought a runout base 997.1 Carrera for the same money as my (heavily optioned) E90 would have cost.

What I can tell you is that the two cars are quite different to drive and that strongly influenced my final choice. Like others have said the M3 is much more oriented to comfort - with performance and handling as well.

The 911 though is a sports car, pure and simple. It's lighter, you have more feel through the controls, and the fact that you feel what the car is doing on the road is a plus, not a limitation. It's comfortable enough to be used as a DD but I certainly wouldn't have bought it as my only car. If that was the case I would have stuck with the M3.

In fact when I realised that I didn't have to compromise the decision was a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0