BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source

12-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #309
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Temp Timer

Can someone please tell me what this "oil temp timer" is? Are people just using that to refer to the temp gauge or the rpm limit gauge?

Thanks!!!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States
      12-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #310
gatorfast
Colonel

Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Can someone please tell me what this "oil temp timer" is? Are people just using that to refer to the temp gauge or the rpm limit gauge?

Thanks!!!

Cheers,
e46e92
Referring to the oil level display. Once the car is warm enough the display will go from --- to a timer showing that is is calculating the oil level. This timer only appears when the oil is at operating temp, usually around half way between the quarter marker and 210.

However, I have found this to only work when starting the car after a prolonged period like overnight. I have noticed that if I start the car after maybe an hour or so of sitting, the timer will come on quickly while the actual temp gauge is below the quarter marker.
      12-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #311
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post

Thanks!!!

Cheers,
e46e92
Referring to the oil level display. Once the car is warm enough the display will go from --- to a timer showing that is is calculating the oil level. This timer only appears when the oil is at operating temp, usually around half way between the quarter marker and 210.

However, I have found this to only work when starting the car after a prolonged period like overnight. I have noticed that if I start the car after maybe an hour or so of sitting, the timer will come on quickly while the actual temp gauge is below the quarter marker.
Oh.....and I thought I knew everything about this car, I was wondering what algorithm it was following as to when it would show the oil level, just thought it had to be a little warm, not that it had to he at operating temp and that was the intention of BMW to indicate that oil was at operating temp.

Thanks!!!!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States
      04-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #312
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Sorry to resurrect this, but I felt this was worth mentioning for everyone who interpreted BMWNA's site to mean that 5W-30 or even any BMW LL-01 oil was approved for the M3. That page has been taken down entirely. The link in the first post of this thread now goes nowhere, and Google only turns up a few old PDFs that have oil information, but nothing that's linked from the site itself and no actual webpages. Meanwhile, the latest M3 Service and Warranty booklet, available from BMWNA here, says that 10W-60 is the only approved oil.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
      04-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #313
regular guy
Banned

Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Sorry to resurrect this, but I felt this was worth mentioning for everyone who interpreted BMWNA's site to mean that 5W-30 or even any BMW LL-01 oil was approved for the M3. That page has been taken down entirely. The link in the first post of this thread now goes nowhere, and Google only turns up a few old PDFs that have oil information, but nothing that's linked from the site itself and no actual webpages. Meanwhile, the latest M3 Service and Warranty booklet, available from BMWNA here, says that 10W-60 is the only approved oil.
I've known about this for a few weeks now. To me it sounds like BMW-NA got the smack down from BMW-AG. How dare they have an independent thought to stop the carnage.