BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
epbb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Cabin Noise After Dealer Repair

Hey Everyone,

I figured I'd post this question here to see if anyone has experienced this before. So I took my car in on Monday morning because whenever I turned the AC on, it smelled like cow sh!t. The dealer told me that that smell is indicative of a Freon leak.

After putting in some dye to locate the leak, they determined it was in the evaporator. So, over the past two and a half days, the dealer proceeded to rip out the entire dash, and replace the evaporator.

Today, I finally go to pick up my car, I drive out of the lot, and the noise level inside the cabin is twice as loud as it was before. I can hear all sorts of engine noise inside the cabin, from the growl of the engine when I go WOT, to the whine of the engine at high rpms, and even the whine of the engine when engine braking.

It seems like when they took the dash apart and put it back together, they left a hole in the firewall that's letting the sound come into the cabin. It sounds like it did when I drove the car with the windows down before I dropped it off at the dealer.

I refused to take the car home, left the car at the dealer, and told them I wanted it fixed. They're going to look at all the passages through the firewall, but they said if the passages look sealed, there's "nothing else they can do".

Needless to say, I'm pretty upset, since it really is much louder in the cabin. So much so that it's now hard to have a conversation on the phone. I would be very surprised if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before, but figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by epbb; 05-08-2013 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

What a bummer, I would call BMW NA get them involved if they don't do the repair properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
See if there are any other cars on the lot that you can drive as a comparison with the shop foreman and/or service manager. Then use the difference in sound, if any, to justify the need for them to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
epbb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
See if there are any other cars on the lot that you can drive as a comparison with the shop foreman and/or service manager. Then use the difference in sound, if any, to justify the need for them to fix it.
Yeah, that's what I'm currently trying to do. Unfortunately, they have no other M3s on the lot, so I'm trying to get someone else to help out.

They called today and said they have checked everything, and everything is "Up to BMW specifications". So I basically was told to go scratch by the dealer. Having another car to compare it to is my only option at this point. And all that will do is give them justification to call out a BMWNA rep to come to the dealership and look at the car themselves to see if there is a problem.

So basically, I'm SOL, since you know the BMWNA rep isn't going to do anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
epbb
Private First Class
Rep

Okay, so update...

Picked the car back up yesterday, and low and behold, the sound was back to normal.

Apparently, when you replace the evaporator, and you re-seal the blower housing, it doesn't seal completely, which can allow some engine noise to enter the cabin. If you drive it for a bit with the AC on, it creates enough pressure in the blower to properly seal the ducting, which prevents the sound from entering the cabin.

I guess this explains why I felt like the sound was coming from the ductwork in the driver's side footwell... because it WAS.

Thanks for tolerating my venting... I'm just happy I got my baby back.

Now it's time to install my AA drop in, and wait for the BPMSport tune!!! So excited!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

I want my baby back baby back baby back.

Glad you got it sorted out.
Appreciate 0