BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

BPM

11-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Cboy1
Murdered out M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

-eas Tune, Worth It?-

So I've been lurking the forums and even asked some local guys about the idea of doing a protune on my E92 M3. As far as mods go all I have is the RPI scoops, RPI GTM race exhaust system, and a BMC race drop in filter... I have a current CEL for obviously not having any cat's, and fear that I shouldn't be running this rich per say for too long? Question is will I feel any significant gains or consistent smooth power across the powerband? I'm a firm believer in tuning but I'm new to the M3 scene so just wanted some feedback, or should I simply have someone do a reflash to clear the CEL and call it a day.
Email: charlie.kim@mckennacars.com
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

To be honest, I am pretty disappointed with my Evolve tune. It made negligible gains compared to the latest OEM software (231E at the time). It didn't "feel" very different. I don't know what alot of the people on here are raving about, saying that it "transforms the car!".

That said, I would probably have Mike Benvo tune it if I could do it again.
      11-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
To be honest, I am pretty disappointed with my Evolve tune. It made negligible gains compared to the latest OEM software (231E at the time). It didn't "feel" very different. I don't know what alot of the people on here are raving about, saying that it "transforms the car!".

I have no tune...but i am thinking also about a tune frome Mike-Benvo,
because here in Belgium we have 98-ron octane,and then there would
be match more possible (+hp+torque)
Now i have had a update from BMW-dealer to 233E and feel that the
///M3 pulls better and the second gear lag is much improved....
So now i'm stil doubting about a tune,what would you do guys ???
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Cboy1
Murdered out M3
Rep

Quote:

Yeah I read up on your older thread about your tune results and the 231E software update? Just took my M3 next door to Shelly BMW to see if that update was ever performed and apparently it hasn't yet... I mean I've felt significant gains when I protuned my STi to stage 2 and felt even greater gains when I protuned my street bike, but of all the threads I've been reading it doesn't seem worth the time and money... My only problem is that I don't wanna be running "rich" with no cats and the loss of all back pressure.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I have no tune...but i am thinking also about a tune frome Mike-Benvo,
because here in Belgium we have 98-ron octane,and then there would
be match more possible (+hp+torque)
Now i have had a update from BMW-dealer to 233E and feel that the
///M3 pulls better and the second gear lag is much improved....
So now i'm stil doubting about a tune,what would you do guys ???
What aftermarket performance parts are installed on your car? Your car is already able to take advantage of the higher octane fuel. The timing targets on the M3 are very aggressive and running high octane fuel will allow the car to come closer to those timing targets without any tuning.

By all accounts, Mike's results are better than the other tuners. I have thought about having him re-tune mine to compare but I don't want to spend the money and be disappointed again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy1 View Post
Yeah I read up on your older thread about your tune results and the 231E software update? Just took my M3 next door to Shelly BMW to see if that update was ever performed and apparently it hasn't yet... I mean I've felt significant gains when I protuned my STi to stage 2 and felt even greater gains when I protuned my street bike, but of all the threads I've been reading it doesn't seem worth the time and money... My only problem is that I don't wanna be running "rich" with no cats and the loss of all back pressure.
There is a big difference between NA and FI tuning. On FI cars, they can turn up the boost and make a lot more power. I don't know too much about street bikes.

The car uses the front sensors to adjust the fuel/air mixture. Those are completely unaffected. The car is able to compensate for the increased flow by adding more fuel, thereby creating more power and maintaining the original AFR. My point is that (from what I understand) you won't be running rich without a tune.

It might be worth it to contact Mike via PM, he will likely give you a straight answer and not just try to sell you a tune.
      11-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Cboy1
Murdered out M3
Rep

Quote:
There is a big difference between NA and FI tuning. On FI cars, they can turn up the boost and make a lot more power. I don't know too much about street bikes.

The car uses the front sensors to adjust the fuel/air mixture. Those are completely unaffected. The car is able to compensate for the increased flow by adding more fuel, thereby creating more power and maintaining the original AFR. My point is that (from what I understand) you won't be running rich without a tune.

It might be worth it to contact Mike via PM, he will likely give you a straight answer and not just try to sell you a tune.
Correct they crank up the boost and maximize the fuel efficiency by outputting more fuel from your injectors, etc... As far as I know with N/A they just smoothen out the powerband by adjusting the AFR so that you have consistent power across the powerband/RPM's so that there's no drop or spike in power. Do you have Mike's user ID and is he a SoCal native? I'm located in OC.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
So I've been lurking the forums and even asked some local guys about the idea of doing a protune on my E92 M3. As far as mods go all I have is the RPI scoops, RPI GTM race exhaust system, and a BMC race drop in filter... I have a current CEL for obviously not having any cat's, and fear that I shouldn't be running this rich per say for too long? Question is will I feel any significant gains or consistent smooth power across the powerband? I'm a firm believer in tuning but I'm new to the M3 scene so just wanted some feedback, or should I simply have someone do a reflash to clear the CEL and call it a day.
We provide the EFlash cable/tune from ESS Tuning: the same ESS Tuning that's supercharged most of the M3s on the forum.

The CEL isn't an issue in your case, it's simply outside the normal operation window for a catted car. Some live with the light, others want it turned off.

Simply go with the ESS solution. Proven, works and customer support is stellar. Since you're local, we can check your current SW version on your DME and you would get a complimentary session on our in-house dynojet.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

To M3PO...thank you for the anser to my question !
I have no aftermarket performance parts,the only thing i have done by myself
is the oem.exhaust mod. i have the large perforated tubes replaced by full stainless steel tubes,and i like it.....see my previous posts.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 11-02-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Correct they crank up the boost and maximize the fuel efficiency by outputting more fuel from your injectors, etc... As far as I know with N/A they just smoothen out the powerband by adjusting the AFR so that you have consistent power across the powerband/RPM's so that there's no drop or spike in power. Do you have Mike's user ID and is he a SoCal native? I'm located in OC.
Mike's screen name is "Mike Benvo" and he is in Redondo Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
To M3PO...thank you fore the anser to my question !
I have no aftermarket performance parts,the only thing i have done by myself
is the oem.exhaust mod. i have the large perforated tubes replaced by full stainless steel tubes,and i like it.....see my previous posts.
I would not bother with a tune in your case. If you have current (or nearly current) OEM software, you will be good to go.
      11-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
Cboy1
Murdered out M3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We provide the EFlash cable/tune from ESS Tuning: the same ESS Tuning that's supercharged most of the M3s on the forum.

The CEL isn't an issue in your case, it's simply outside the normal operation window for a catted car. Some live with the light, others want it turned off.

Simply go with the ESS solution. Proven, works and customer support is stellar. Since you're local, we can check your current SW version on your DME and you would get a complimentary session on our in-house dynojet.

Tom,

How much is the ESS solution reflash/checking current software in the DME?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
dtmwerksm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 Mineral White/Shakir

Mods or no mods, I highly recommend the ESS tune.
2003 BMW M3 — Carbon Black on Black, 6MT - Sold
1995 BMW M3 Coupe — Cosmos Black on Black - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Tom,

How much is the ESS solution reflash/checking current software in the DME?
We have specials going on in the sponsor's section of the forum.

Just got your PM, replying now.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

I have nothing empirical to add to this discussion, but will merely mention that I did ESS tune + MS pulley + MS stage 2 intake simultaneosly and subjectively love what the 3 have done for the engine. Obviously, it's important to keep your expectations in check - we're not talking about a SC here - but if you're looking for more downlow torque and a more consistent throttle response curve, I imagine that you'd be pretty happy with mods of this sort. The engine seems punchier, has more "bite" when put the pedal down.

Note: as I did the 3 at the same time, it's hard to know what is doing what, but I'd suspect that the ESS tune is primarily responsible for the change.

Also: there a few threads out there where dynos are peformed to evaluate the effect of mods of this variety. As suggested, the results are not staggering, but enhancement appears to be real.

Last edited by Talk2meg00se; 11-02-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
Cboy1
Murdered out M3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We have specials going on in the sponsor's section of the forum.

Just got your PM, replying now.
LOL still waiting for a PM...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #15
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Have installed in following progression: MS filter/intake, pulley, tune (ESS). As prior poster alluded to, when added the ESS tune, was probably the most perceivable difference (albeit still small). ESS does a pretty good job with the feel of the regular (non sport mode) throttle mapping...very good for throttle modulation on the track. ESS customer service is first rate (as is "Mike Benvo's")..much better from my perspective than that other major tuning company.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
LOL still waiting for a PM...
Got a little held up today, sorry about that. Check PM.

Appreciate 0