BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
UCBPhD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jerez Black E92

Question Question regarding BMW warranty interpretation/execution

All:

I have read various threads (here and elsewhere) that go something like the following:

OP: "Dealer X won't service problem Y under warranty."

R: "Go to a different dealer.", or, sometimes, "Talk to Service Advisor Z, he will straighten it out."

This results in the following strange implication: precisely how the factory warranty is interpreted is a function of the dealer, or, worse, the individual employee. It strikes me a _very_ strange that it is just up to some guy how the warranty is interpreted. It makes the whole process seem somewhat random . . .

I was just wondering if:

* someone here could describe the hierarchy of warranty decision making, including the dealership level and BMW NA.

* someone here could describe the motivations that someone in a position of warranty authority would have to (1) approve warranty work, and (2) deny warranty work.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Coltgus
Chairman of the Bored
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92

The BMW dealer has to get an authorization from BMW NA to do a warranty repair or maintenance unless the computer says it is due. So the reality is the BMW dealer has nothing to do with the decision making. This is because if this were not the case the independant BMW dealer could send huge bills to BMW NA and expect them to pay. When repairs or maintenance is done either BMW NA or the customer ( or his insurance company ) pays for it. The only exception might be where a dealer would do something and eat the cost to maintain a good relationship with the customer, a rare event.

Last edited by Coltgus; 12-07-2012 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 - AW

I think it is funny that the dealership would not want to do the work under warranty. I am reading several threads on this forum about warranty issues/denials. I would think that as long as the dealer could feel good about the issue not being total neglect that they would honor the warranty without question.

Coming from Fords for the last 10 years or so I never once had a warranty claim issue. I had a lowered modding GT500 that the front bushings were squeaking. Very easily they could have said "nope not going to fix this as it is a result of you lowering the car". Not only did they fix it without question, but they replaced the other 3 at each of the corners just to be safe. $800 fix no questions.

I would think if it is BMW HQ decision they would be way more flexible especially in times like these. My car is brand new and now I am a bit concerned and hope I never need warranty work. Seems like it will be a hassle.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

It depends on what needs warranty work. For most minor problems, the dealer's mechanics and techs can decide if the issue is warranty related via service bulletins or BMW repair manuals. Major work needs a regional BMW rep to come in and decide. Nevertheless, BMW NA has the final decision on the reimbursement. A tech at your dealership won't approve something under warranty unless he is at least 99% sure BMW will cover it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Coltgus
Chairman of the Bored
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
I think it is funny that the dealership would not want to do the work under warranty. I am reading several threads on this forum about warranty issues/denials. I would think that as long as the dealer could feel good about the issue not being total neglect that they would honor the warranty without question.

Coming from Fords for the last 10 years or so I never once had a warranty claim issue. I had a lowered modding GT500 that the front bushings were squeaking. Very easily they could have said "nope not going to fix this as it is a result of you lowering the car". Not only did they fix it without question, but they replaced the other 3 at each of the corners just to be safe. $800 fix no questions.

I would think if it is BMW HQ decision they would be way more flexible especially in times like these. My car is brand new and now I am a bit concerned and hope I never need warranty work. Seems like it will be a hassle.
The dealer does "want to work under warranty". But they want to get paid and that won't happen unless BMW NA pays them. They are not running a charity. The previous poster is correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 - AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltgus View Post
The dealer does "want to work under warranty". But they want to get paid and that won't happen unless BMW NA pays them. They are not running a charity. The previous poster is correct.
Hence my last sentence. Didn't figure they were a charity but thanks for pointing that out.
Appreciate 0