BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-18-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
ysv
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Strange noise from the MT

Yesturday, while i was waiting my garage gates open, i turned the music off, and for the first time heard some strange low mechanical noise comming from MT. It took me a bit of time to recognize and understand what was it. I placed my ear on/near the shift knob, certanly it have become more clear. The noise apears only when MT is engaged somehow (in neutral gear with clutch engaged, when driving slowly in first gear), its like the noise of rotating shafts or gears. I understand that some noise must be, but sould it be heard by me in total silence (music off, clima off)? In my previous car (Impreza STI) there was no such noise, maybe i havent heard it because there are a lot off other noises, i dont know. In other cars as well.
I also tried to rev, the noise increased only a little. So is it normal, will it disappear after i will have my 2000km/1200m maintanence done or i will have problems with it?

For now i did only about 1200km, but in 100% order with running in recomendations.

Thank you for your answers in advance)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

My car beeps at me when it's cold, can someone tell me why it would do this?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

LOL.. and the little snowflake comes up on the dashboard for a second or two...

its a warning it below freezing out...

i think warns you at 36 degrees and below (f)

.... I came from an STi too, ALL the M's are noisy at idle, sound diff with the clutch engaged and not.. its an M-motor, the're all noisy AND AMAZING..
      12-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

The snowflake comes on at 37 F which to me makes no sense. Why not 32 F? WTF? Lame...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
ericld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3, Alpine White

The snowflake comes on at 37 because of two reasons. Bridges can be frozen because of no warming earth underneath, and if it's 37 and you drive through a valley, a simple 100 foot elevation change COULD mean that you will experience some 32 or lower conditions even when the majority of your locale is a tad warmer @ 37 degrees.

Not lame, might save your oily hide from certain death in a 415hp RWD car with summer tires..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
ericld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysv View Post
and for the first time heard some strange low mechanical noise coming from MT.

Thank you for your answers in advance)
That's the sound of the devil trying to get out.

(seriously though, that is NORMAL for a 6MT tranny. Sounds like there is no fluid in the system and you are hurting things? NOPE, all is fine. Learn to like that sound. M cars have had it for years. You are hearing square cut gears - more performance from that type of gear but kinda loud. Understand that you are hearing what M3 race drivers hear.)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericld View Post
The snowflake comes on at 37 because of two reasons. Bridges can be frozen because of no warming earth underneath, and if it's 37 and you drive through a valley, a simple 100 foot elevation change COULD mean that you will experience some 32 or lower conditions even when the majority of your locale is a tad warmer.

Not lame, might save your oily hide from certain death in a 415hp RWD car with summer tires..
WTF is this nonsense? Sorry man this made me laugh...Where did you get this? Save my hide from death? The sensor is not even accurate dude....LAME all capital letters!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
That's the sound of the devil trying to get out.

(seriously though, that is NORMAL for a 6MT tranny. Sounds like there is no fluid in the system and you are hurting things? NOPE, all is fine. Learn to like that sound. M cars have had it for years. You are hearing square cut gears - more performance from that type of gear but kinda loud. Understand that you are hearing what M3 race drivers hear.)
Does BMW still use square-cut gears?
      12-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
ericld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
WTF is this nonsense? Sorry man this made me laugh...Where did you get this? LAME all capital letters!
You are obviously new to higher end automobiles.

Have you never driven a Mercedes, Audi, BMW? Even VW. The little snowflake icon comes on in the high 30's. ALWAYS. From every german manufacturer. It's not lame, it's not silly. It might even be a German DOT regulation. It's simply letting you know that icy roads are possible in your area.

Stop whining and go save your $14/hour paychecks so you can actually go get a M3 and stop masquerading as an owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

my 2005 Prius shows the snow indicator too at 37degF.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are obviously new to higher end automobiles.

Have you never driven a Mercedes, Audi, BMW? Even VW. The little snowflake icon comes on in the high 30's. ALWAYS. From every german manufacturer. It's not lame, it's not silly. It might even be a German DOT regulation. It's simply letting you know that icy roads are possible in your area.

Stop whining and go save your $14/hour paychecks so you can actually go get a M3 and stop masquerading as an owner.
Dude - why get all personal and silly? I've driven more expensive cares that don't have this silly snowflake indicator. I bet you believe in the POWER button as well...

The reason that it's probably 37 is because the sensor cannot be accurate - and in my experience it's not. So it's a silly little warning to allow for tolerances in the temp sensor. Don't try to get all scientific about it or buy BMW marketing BS.

I made my comment mostly based on this quote:

Quote:
If you truly believe that, well there's nothing further to say. Maybe you'd like the Nav lady to say "Hey it's cold out, near freezing, drive carefully!"... L A M E
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #12
thread killer
Banned
Rep
Drives: faster then your car

normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 12:35 AM   #13
ericld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't try to get all scientific about it or buy BMW marketing BS.
I doubt that the snowflake sells a lot of cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #14
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

According to the Owner's Manual:

"Outside Temperature Warning

When the displayed temperature sinks to approx. +37F/+3C, a signal sounds and a warning lamp lights up. There is an increased risk of black ice. Black ice can also form above +37F/+3C. You should therefore drive carefully on bridges and shaded roads, for example, otherwise there is an increased risk of an accident."

It's there to hopefully save your butt. A very nice feature to have on the car. On my E46 M3, I checked my car's temperature sensor against a very accurate thermometer, and they both always read within 1 degree of each other. The thermometer sensor is quite accurate. It's also designed to read temperatures dropping much faster than reading temperatures going up. So on a cold day with the car in a warm garage, as soon as it goes outside, the temperature will quickly drop to ambient temperature. On the other hand, in the summer when the garage is cooler than the outside temperature, the thermometer is much slower to rise to the ambient temperature. It does this since if the car is outside in the sun, the sensor could be heated by the sun to over, say 120 degrees when it's, say 85 degrees outside. When you parked your car earlier in the day it might have been, say 60 degrees. When you start up your car, it'll probably still read 60 degrees for a long time rather than 120 degrees so as you drive, the hot temperature sensor will settle slowly to 85 degrees.

It is a nice instrument for temperature and they have thought it through.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #15
ysv
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ok, thank you all for the info, now i wont bother myself about those noises.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #16
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
According to the Owner's Manual:

"Outside Temperature Warning

When the displayed temperature sinks to approx. +37F/+3C, a signal sounds and a warning lamp lights up. There is an increased risk of black ice. Black ice can also form above +37F/+3C. You should therefore drive carefully on bridges and shaded roads, for example, otherwise there is an increased risk of an accident."

It's there to hopefully save your butt. A very nice feature to have on the car. On my E46 M3, I checked my car's temperature sensor against a very accurate thermometer, and they both always read within 1 degree of each other. The thermometer sensor is quite accurate. It's also designed to read temperatures dropping much faster than reading temperatures going up. So on a cold day with the car in a warm garage, as soon as it goes outside, the temperature will quickly drop to ambient temperature. On the other hand, in the summer when the garage is cooler than the outside temperature, the thermometer is much slower to rise to the ambient temperature. It does this since if the car is outside in the sun, the sensor could be heated by the sun to over, say 120 degrees when it's, say 85 degrees outside. When you parked your car earlier in the day it might have been, say 60 degrees. When you start up your car, it'll probably still read 60 degrees for a long time rather than 120 degrees so as you drive, the hot temperature sensor will settle slowly to 85 degrees.

It is a nice instrument for temperature and they have thought it through.
Yes I know about that, but found 37 odd. Anyway, nobody should have to rely on a snowflake to realize that they need to drive carefully! I mean you aren't going blindfolded from 70 to 37! So that's why to me it's lame. My own temp is off by a 3-4 degrees. Same was the case in a previous 330. I would much rather BMW put in sporting things (like PSI indicators for each wheel, displaying the pressure of each tire) than luxury things like the snowflake..But then again, this M is more of a compromise between luxury/comfort/sport than previous ones, even if a better car all around. It could have been better IMO without gimmicks (IMO of course) like the POWER settings, different SERVOTRONIC settings, SPORT passive EDC suspension, etc. Just make the damn car right..But at the same time I understand that they are going after a larger market - it's business after all. Can't really blame them, just disappointed in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #17
ericld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I know about that, but found 37 odd. Anyway, nobody should have to rely on a snowflake to realize that they need to drive carefully!
True, but you are likely in the top 20% of intelligence on the road. There are people who ARE NOT and need to be reminded. BMW ownership doesn't always mark intelligence (have you read some of the posts around here?)

So let's enjoy the snowflake (it's Christmassy), watch for black ice, and have a beer!

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #18
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, but you are likely in the top 20% of intelligence on the road. There are people who ARE NOT and need to be reminded. BMW ownership doesn't always mark intelligence (have you read some of the posts around here?)

So let's enjoy the snowflake (it's Christmassy), watch for black ice, and have a beer!

Hell yeah! I'm taking the M after work for its first winter storm trip back home from work. We're going to get 1-2"/hour and by the time I leave it will be like 8-10". The snowflakes will be visible

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #19
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #20
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt