BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

10-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Falcon Keeper
USAF/ Veteran/ F-16 Crew Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Atlantis Blue Metallic M4

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
*Help!* Metal Popping Noise (KWv3 Coilovers Installed)

It's been about a little over a month trying to find were this noise is coming from and narrowed it down to the rear drivers side shock strut area. The problem is it fine when driven on smooth roads or highways but the very first minute I get onto a main road that is somewhat bumpy, it has a loud popping noise as if the nut on top shock strut is loose and the strut itself travels up and hits the subframe or something to that effect. I got the car jacked up and took the trunk lining out and the wheel off and nothing is damaged or show signs of cracking, bending, buckling, chaffing, rubbing or gouging. All the nuts and bolts are present and accounted for and they are all tight! Does anyone know what could be causing this?

BTW, my car is not slammed compared to some M3's and it is only located on the drivers rear wheel well area. I thought I may have been riding on my bump stop but if that was the cause, wouldn't I be getting this noise from the other side as well??? WTF gives?

For a quick reference, from the ground to my fender measures 26" on both sides in the rear. Thanks for the help!

- Greg Professional Table Flipper
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
It's been about a little over a month trying to find were this noise is coming from and narrowed it down to the rear drivers side shock strut area. The problem is it fine when driven on smooth roads or highways but the very first minute I get onto a main road that is somewhat bumpy, it has a loud popping noise as if the nut on top shock strut is loose and the strut itself travels up and hits the subframe or something to that effect. I got the car jacked up and took the trunk lining out and the wheel off and nothing is damaged or show signs of cracking, bending, buckling, chaffing, rubbing or gouging. All the nuts and bolts are present and accounted for and they are all tight! Does anyone know what could be causing this?

BTW, my car is not slammed compared to some M3's and it is only located on the drivers rear wheel well area. I thought I may have been riding on my bump stop but if that was the cause, wouldn't I be getting this noise from the other side as well??? WTF gives?

For a quick reference, from the ground to my fender measures 26" on both sides in the rear. Thanks for the help!
Double check on the rear damper top nut, make sure that is fully seated and properly torqued.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Yep! Harold is a great guy!

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

I would uninstall and retorque the shock top nut and the shock bottom bolt on the camber arm.

Torque to:
Top nut: 30 ft-lb
Bottom bolt: 75 ft-lb

GL!
      10-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
Falcon Keeper
USAF/ Veteran/ F-16 Crew Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Atlantis Blue Metallic M4

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Cool, Thanks! I will try that out and see if that fixes the problem. Any more help or ideas are appreciated...

- Greg Professional Table Flipper
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Happened to me too. It's the top nut!

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0