BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Borla "Touring Sound" Exhaust

Does anyone have this exhaust?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ODUCT_ID=11771

I will be taking delivery of my E92 M3 next month and am looking for an sensible alternative to the fancy expensive exhausts that seem to be so popular on these forums. So, does anyone have any experience with the "touring sound" exhaust? The mufflers look nice and the tips look decent for the price. I have read about/seen/heard the Borla Aggressive exhaust on these forums but I can't find much regarding the touring exhaust. The price ($1,699) is attractive as is the million mile warranty. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoven View Post
Does anyone have this exhaust?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ODUCT_ID=11771

I will be taking delivery of my E92 M3 next month and am looking for an sensible alternative to the fancy expensive exhausts that seem to be so popular on these forums. So, does anyone have any experience with the "touring sound" exhaust? The mufflers look nice and the tips look decent for the price. I have read about/seen/heard the Borla Aggressive exhaust on these forums but I can't find much regarding the touring exhaust. The price ($1,699) is attractive as is the million mile warranty. Thoughts?
I have the Corsa. Same MSRP. I really like it. It's not too loud, exotic sounding and fits really well. It's not the best looking exhaust in the world, I'm not a huge fan of how low the canisters hang, but it sounds WAY better than the other cheap exhausts in my opinion.

If you want loud, the Magnaflow is really nice and cheap. (I had it on the Sedan, but it'll sound identical to the Coupe version)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I had a Borla on a Lexus V8, and droned like a MoFo. Those were Borla's typical muffler, the one they use for almost all applications. These are different, but unfortunately, don't think they'll be any better on the drone department as they look straight-thru (you need anti-resonance chambers for this car). The only answer is how much they're going to drone, as even chambered exhausts drone some. I wouldn't buy blindly until you get some feedback, making sure they're what you're looking for. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

FYI - Summit Racing carries the Borla and their price is a bit lower than that.

I've heard it, it sounds good, pretty quiet actually, but I never got in the car for a ride.
      07-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
rrobert22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93 m3

I have their aggressive exhaust on my vert and it sounds great, loud at start up but otherwise pretty tame, very little drone while cruising, great with the top down. Turner gave me great customer service and is big BMW racing competitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
pimpo
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Turner has it for much cheaper, I'm seriously considering it:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...oduct_id=11770
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
pimpo
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Bah scratch that, you have a coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpo View Post
Turner has it for much cheaper, I'm seriously considering it:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...oduct_id=11770
Turner has two different versions - the aggressive sounding exhaust (which you have linked to) and the touring version which I linked to in the first post. They claim the touring version is quieter, but I am worried about droning. It doesn't appear to include helmholtz chambers or some other anti-resonance feature. But you can't beat the price and it looks good. Also considering the UUC Corsa, Dinan and AA exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoven View Post
Turner has two different versions - the aggressive sounding exhaust (which you have linked to) and the touring version which I linked to in the first post. They claim the touring version is quieter, but I am worried about droning. It doesn't appear to include helmholtz chambers or some other anti-resonance feature. But you can't beat the price and it looks good. Also considering the UUC Corsa, Dinan and AA exhausts.
i considered all the exhausts that you are looking at and actually called borla to ask about the touring version and they told me that it wouldnt sound that much louder than stock. i figured it wouldnt be worth it to increase sound just marginally and possibly introduce some drone. i was looking for an exhaust on the quieter side but wanted to still be able to hear it when i got on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyatch View Post
i considered all the exhausts that you are looking at and actually called borla to ask about the touring version and they told me that it wouldnt sound that much louder than stock. i figured it wouldnt be worth it to increase sound just marginally and possibly introduce some drone. i was looking for an exhaust on the quieter side but wanted to still be able to hear it when i got on it.
Thanks for the input. That sounds ridiculous - it sounds like stock but drones? Sign me up!

What exhaust (if any) did you end up choosing? Dinan is is the front runner for me today, but I keep going back and forth. Its hard to choose when you can't hear any of them (not many M3's with exhaust mods in my area). So, I have to rely on feedback from the board members. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 02:18 AM   #11
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

the thing that turned me off Borla in the past has been fitment issues. I spent HOURS trying to get their E46 M3 exhaust to fit right and never did.

(and it was a pretty weird design...)

But, I've had issues with them on other cars too, lots of hanger bending, etc. The UUC/Corsa fit great! (so did the Magnaflow)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m3

I have this system on my car and was one of the first customers to receive it. The fitment was perfect and the tips are only slightly bigger than oem. The sound is amazing. At idle you know its there and the cold start idle sounds def mean. At wide open throttle its across between muscle and exotic. There is some drone around 2k in lower gears but not obtrusive. I think its the best priced exhaust on the market for fit, finish and performance. Granted this is the 6th Borla system i have owned and i never had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
jeraldfler
Registered
Rep
Drives: honda civic

Re borla

My father owned a pypes exhaust systems
Appreciate 0