BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

uneven tire wear and steering wheel vibration

My car has near 4,000 miles, and already the front tires are getting "cupped" and there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel over 65MPH. Im not sure what the issue could be for such a new car... i have never hit any potholes, or do anything that could have bent the wheel. i have the 19' wheels with the factory PS2 tires... the rears look fine, and it's only the fronts that are getting cupped on the outside edges of both tires. The only thing that i can think of is when i took the car to the track, the tires might have moved on the wheel and caused them to lose their balance and they need a re-balancing

anyways, im going to take the car to have the front tires re balanced and have them also do the road force balancing. hopefullt that will fix this... any other suggestions as to what might be the cause?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
TheRealDC
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the outside edge of the front tyres wearing. Every M3 I've owned has exhibited this trait (including both E46 and E92). Its just the way the steering geometry is set up. As for the vibration, I don't have a clue??
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3

I'm not sure what to tell you about the vibration above 65MPH as there are many things that can cause that but the cupping on the outside edges of your front tires is a direct result of running your car on the track.

BMW builds their cars with inherent understeer in them for safety purposes. This causes a lot of front end push at higher speeds and that push is what caused the cupping on the outside edgest of your front tires. Not the steering geometry.

That is precisely why I will not run my car on the track with the 19s and I am getting a set of OEM 18s to install track specific tires on. I don't feel like replacing expensive 19" PS2's every season and a half.

Let us know what you find out about the vibration issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

so ends up the RF was 1/2 an ounce off balance and the left front was 1/4 ounce out of balance. now it drives perfect
Appreciate 0