BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

01-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
Koo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

08 E92 M3 EDC & DSC and occasionally requiring a jump start

My 08 E90 M3 with 61K miles experiences a couple issues today. After work the car was idling at 2K rpm for about 20 seconds which has not happened before.

While accelerating hard from a turn, the dash lit up with couple lights, one was for DSC system. The message that the stability control is malfunctioning and I also had a yellow brake light on the dash.

I've had ABS light come on for a second and disappear around 5 times within the last 6 months so I thought it was another funky error that would go away on its own. I pulled to a parking lot, turned the car off and tried restarting the car. However, it was dead. Almost like the battery was disconnected because hazards or interior lights wouldn't even turn on. I got the car jump started and it worked fine after that.

When I got home and turned the car off and restarted it, the same thing with rpms at 2K for 20 seconds happened again and it almost seemed like the voltage was low because of how some of the lights were dimmer on the dash than usual for just a second.

The DSC message and brake light went away after jump starting the car but I still have EDC message.

When I bought my car a year ago the dealership installed a new battery and two weeks later I got a passenger restraint system malfunction that I haven't fixed yet.

Any ideas what could be wrong with the car? There were no codes for a OBD2 reader and I don't want to get stranded in my car at work.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koo View Post
My 08 E90 M3 with 61K miles experiences a couple issues today. After work the car was idling at 2K rpm for about 20 seconds which has not happened before.

While accelerating hard from a turn, the dash lit up with couple lights, one was for DSC system. The message that the stability control is malfunctioning and I also had a yellow brake light on the dash.

I've had ABS light come on for a second and disappear around 5 times within the last 6 months so I thought it was another funky error that would go away on its own. I pulled to a parking lot, turned the car off and tried restarting the car. However, it was dead. Almost like the battery was disconnected because hazards or interior lights wouldn't even turn on. I got the car jump started and it worked fine after that.

When I got home and turned the car off and restarted it, the same thing with rpms at 2K for 20 seconds happened again and it almost seemed like the voltage was low because of how some of the lights were dimmer on the dash than usual for just a second.

The DSC message and brake light went away after jump starting the car but I still have EDC message.

When I bought my car a year ago the dealership installed a new battery and two weeks later I got a passenger restraint system malfunction that I haven't fixed yet.

Any ideas what could be wrong with the car? There were no codes for a OBD2 reader and I don't want to get stranded in my car at work.
Weird electrical issues will pop up if the battery is bad. Get the batt tested first

When you installed the battery, did you register it?

Dim lights is a sign of low battery charge. Hook it up to a tender.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Koo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Weird electrical issues will pop up if the battery is bad. Get the batt tested first

When you installed the battery, did you register it?

Dim lights is a sign of low battery charge. Hook it up to a tender.
It's an OEM BMW battery that was installed by a great dealership in Atlanta. I mean it could be a problem with it, but I highly doubt so.

When I shut down my car in the parking lot and tried restarting it, everything was dead. I mean there was no life to the car at all. However, now while its sitting outside my house, it starts up and things work properly.

It seems to me that there was an electrical issue that caused the warnings to pop up and somehow prevented the car from powering on at all in the parking lot.

Everytime these issues have come up have been under hard acceleration and I'm probably just going to take the car to a shop if I cant figure out the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Check out the EDC module failure threads. Apparently the module can cause a draw which drains the battery when it fails
      01-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
Koo
Private First Class
Rep

It happened today again this time under moderate acceleration. The dash went completely dark for a split second and my headlights turned off, back on, off again, back on around 3 times within a 2 second time frame.

All the codes are now gone including EDC. The codes stayed on the dash until the car was restarted, this time there was no power loss upon restarting the car.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
Rainer M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, 2018 X5 35D

Mine was once completely down.
I parked the car and noticed the car is dead.
Turned out that the stealership forgot to fasten the plus cable on the battery after a repair.
The cable was just sitting on top on the battery.
As soon as the mechanic touched the cable it moved away from the battery.
"My" dealership screwed more things up.
I could write a book about those "professionals"

I wouldn't be surprised if it is so simple for you too.
Doesn't cost a thing to quickly remove the cover and check the cables.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
houston
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

EDC failure is common... prevents the car from going to "sleep". easy fix with 100$ part of ebay (assuming you get a good one) Stealership will rape charge you $1100
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
Koo
Private First Class
Rep

The dealership I bought the car from installed a new battery just before I bought the car. Apparently they didn't bother tightening the positive contact much or securing the battery in place. There was about 2cm of movement in the battery bay causing this problem.

Problem solved
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
houston
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Typical BMW dealership experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
Koo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Typical BMW dealership experience.
That's why I've never taken my car to one. I work 10 mins from Enthusiasts auto group in Ohio and they are much more affordable and provide quality service.
Appreciate 0