BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

08-17-2007, 04:05 AM   #1
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

BMW 5-series sedan performs worst in crash test - Yahoo! News

This came as a bit of a surprise.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070816/...h_tests_sedans

DETROIT - The 2008 BMW 5 Series was the worst performer in new side-impact crash tests of luxury sedans by the insurance industry.

The Acura RL, Kia Amanti and Volvo S80 all earned the highest safety rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, according to results released Thursday. The Cadillac STS and Mercedes E-Class earned the second-highest rating...

Knock on wood, but I've never crashed my bimmers. Anyone here with any personal experience?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW's have never done that well in IIHS side-impact testing... I imagine it has to do with the fact their cars are quite low compared with some. I know that VW actually raised the ride height of all NA-bound Jettas to score better in the IIHS test, which simulates a SUV. The higher impact of the SUV is a tough test for a low car.

Euro NCAP shows the 5 to be fairly poor performing in side-impact testing, as well, so it is apparent BMW should focus their on the 5er redesign.

Luckily the 1er did pretty well, as did the 3er.
Appreciate 0