BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

07-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
bde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i, AW

Garage List
Stonechips..

Just got a slight 2mm nick on the front of the roof line. The paint didnt chip but the stone formed a tiny hole with the paint raised around it. The whole thing is around 2mm in diameter but you can't really touch it up since almost nothing is exposed.

I'm afraid rust might start under the raised paint part.
Any ideas on how to best deal with this to prevent rust?

Leave it alone or remove the raised paint and touch it up?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
I wouldn't remove the raised paint. I would touch it up or just use clear touch-up paint in the hole to seal it, then buff it down flat if you have the time and inclination to do so. Also, a bit of thin clear coat can get in under the raised paint and help adhere it to the body to some extent.

I've used a variety of polishing compounds (for instance, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is commonly available) and also in some cases started with very small pieces of 1500 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper to flatten these kinds of defects. It's tedious, but if you like tooling around in the garage at times, no big deal. If the car is otherwise near perfect it can be worth spending a few minutes on this kind of repair. Solid colors are of course easier to rework than a metallic color. Use a bright light and work slowly when buffing out a clear coat... perfection won't happen but it will be less noticeable than a raw chip.

Last edited by Beemdog; 07-10-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
bde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i, AW

Garage List
Thanks, just covered it with a bit of clearcoat and will deal with polishing the area at a later stage since there are some other slight stone nicks present. Just want to make sure it doesn't start rusting.

Clear bra is definitely a must on the front of the roof line especially if you travel on highways.
Appreciate 0